Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I'll have to find me a ATT sim to bring in then.. that is the only issue I'll have. Maybe I'll buy a guy at work lunch if he lets me use his SIM for 20 minutes..

Lucky me at work I have Verizon and ATT phones. I can just borrow 1 sim :)

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Take it with ATT sim. If it shows att it’s worth more.
[doublepost=1509936622][/doublepost]
No their computer selects the model based off of what SIM card is in the sim door
i dont think it looks at the sim. I had a tmobile sim in there and got credit for a Verizon phone. It was in fact a CDMA model- not a GSM only one.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I have 3 lines with AT&T. I buy phones through NEXT.

I rotate 2 of the lines for my personal iPhones or whatever. One is iPad connected.

I use one line and keep the other line as a backup. Currently I am using an iPhone X on my main line. I sold a Samsung S6 edge that was connected to my backup line to a friend that really needed it about 8 months ago. I never paid off the Samsung and still owe $291 on it.

So to say you HAVE TO pay off a phone before selling isn’t actually true. I’ve sold phones on eBay that I’ve continued to pay off and never had a buyer encounter a problem with them.

Reactions: eagleglen

ihonda

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I have 3 lines with AT&T. I buy phones through NEXT.

I rotate 2 of the lines for my personal iPhones or whatever. One is iPad connected.

I use one line and keep the other line as a backup. Currently I am using an iPhone X on my main line. I sold a Samsung S6 edge that was connected to my backup line to a friend that really needed it about 8 months ago. I never paid off the Samsung and still owe $291 on it.

So to say you HAVE TO pay off a phone before selling isn’t actually true. I’ve sold phones on eBay that I’ve continued to pay off and never had a buyer encounter a problem with them.
We have already established this

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks for the tip on GameStop. I have had my iPhone on Swappa the last week at competitive prices and nothing. Will be going to Gamestop today.

you guys do no you can sell the phones on swappa ? https://swappa.com gust you guys never here of it be for with swappa is like gamestop they dont put up with other crap like on ebay and a few other site swappa has staff and rules when seller are ready too sell there stuff

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Guys you don't need a SIM (their site even says remove it). The only reason you would need a SIM is if you leave the phone at the white "hello"screen after restoring the phone to stock as you cant get the phone past the setup again without the SIM (it wont activate in terms of Apple/itunes). They hook it up to a machine that tests if everything works on the device, and it needs the phone through the intial setup.

Just go through the setup not putting in a pin, touch id, no siri setup, etc and then bring it in. MAKE SURE YOU CHARGE IT TOO the test takes a few minutes, dont be that guy bringing it in with 10% battery.

I brought my SIM but never needed it as I setup my phone as new and went through the initial setup.

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
This is
Guys you don't need a SIM (their site even says remove it). The only reason you would need a SIM is if you leave the phone at the white "hello"screen after restoring the phone to stock as you cant get the phone past the setup again without the SIM (it wont activate in terms of Apple/itunes). They hook it up to a machine that tests if everything works on the device, and it needs the phone through the intial setup.

Just go through the setup not putting in a pin, touch id, no siri setup, etc and then bring it in. MAKE SURE YOU CHARGE IT TOO the test takes a few minutes, dont be that guy bringing it in with 10% battery.

I brought my SIM but never needed it as I setup my phone as new and went through the initial setup.
correct. I brought mine in on the while Hello screen and that’s why I needed the SIM. If I would have gotten through the initial set up process I would not have needed it.

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
This is

correct. I brought mine in on the while Hello screen and that’s why I needed the SIM. If I would have gotten through the initial set up process I would not have needed it.

I’m trying to trade it and it’s 355 :(

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I’m trying to trade it and it’s 355 :(

ATTENTION!!!
You must keep the SIM card inside the phone if you have a unlocked version!!!

Was 355 without. Had gamestop rep run the test again with my Verizon sim. Went up to 480!!!!! Happy Camper!!

Last edited:
Reactions: blackberrycubed

Nahmeanz

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
If you go in with a Tmobile sim, they will give you less even if it is unlocked?

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Anybody want to let me use their Elite account and you can have whatever points they give you? (Not sure if they still do that)
Pretty great find. GameStop doesn't seem to have great trade in values for any other iPhone but the 7/7+. Their reseller must be getting pretty nice resales on these. Most trade in places don't beat Apple's own trade in value.

Last edited:

ihonda

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
ATTENTION!!!
You must keep the SIM card inside the phone if you have a unlocked version!!!

Was 355 without. Had gamestop rep run the test again with my Verizon sim. Went up to 480!!!!! Happy Camper!!
Tried to tell people leave att or vzw sim but no one wants to listen

Nahmeanz

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Just went into a GameStop and they offered me $319 for my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB. I had a Tmobile sim in it. Going to try another GameStop with my friend’s AT&T sim.

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I sold my matte black iPhone 7 128GB unlocked Verizon model for $500. Listed it on CL and within the hour i had already sold it.

I guess I should add. I bought my 7 Plus used. Had marks on the body and the screen had scratches. Had apple care on it from previous user and it would have been a hassle to sell it with that screen as it was. No Need to deal with Apple to replace the screen. With this trade it was a no brainer for me. Walked in with my phone in hand and walked out with $480 cash.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Does Gamestop ask for ID or just for your Elite Plus number?
Wondering if using someone else's number would be feasible.....

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Does Gamestop ask for ID or just for your Elite Plus number?
Wondering if using someone else's number would be feasible.....
They ask for ID...

BTW...They’re offering the same price for the 8 as the 7. Thought that was weird.

Nahmeanz

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Any theories on why they are offering less for Tmobile phones even though they’re the same as AT&T phones?

It makes me consider buying a Verizon/Sprint version of the iPhone X.

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Any theories on why they are offering less for Tmobile phones even though they’re the same as AT&T phones?

It makes me consider buying a Verizon/Sprint version of the iPhone X.

Only theory I can come up is the same as always. Someone f’d up with the pricing. I think 480 is very high for a trade in.

Reactions: AppleDior31

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I guess I should add. I bought my 7 Plus used. Had marks on the body and the screen had scratches. Had apple care on it from previous user and it would have been a hassle to sell it with that screen as it was. No Need to deal with Apple to replace the screen. With this trade it was a no brainer for me. Walked in with my phone in hand and walked out with $480 cash.
Think I can do this at a Gamestop for an Apple Watch Series 2? Its a stainless steel 42mm with black Milanese Loop.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Only theory I can come up is the same as always. Someone f’d up with the pricing. I think 480 is very high for a trade in.
I said as much when I was trading it in- "this price is extremely good".
someone messed up on pricing because they will never get that in 2ndary market. They may get like 525 on a 480 cost which is def in money losing territory

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.