Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

Good news for us mac owners. Although it was pretty easy to do it before the updste They can't be making much on the official ringtones from iTunes.

jjprusk

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
New Garageband 4.1.1 Feature Allows Ringtones to Be Created

Just tried this and it works as advertised. Its nice to be able to construct a ringtone by picking pieces of a song and simply "sending" to iTunes. Upon next sync, the ringtone is available to use as a ringtone. Simple and easy.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
This basically automates what I was doing before in Garageband, but I have a question.

Does anyone know how to "normalize" custom ringtone volumes with the rest of the sounds on the iPhone? Some of my custom ringtones are ALOT louder than the rest of the phone's sounds and I can't find a way in Garageband to actually get my exported ringtone to be softer - even if I adjust the dB in the individual imported track or in the whole project.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
I found this by accident just now. I was just about to post that I found this and I see a thread has already been started. I've been working on two new ringtones for myself. I did one yesterday and that feature wasn't there, and I was working on the second one today and...MAGIC! That's VERY cool and I'm so happy that Apple has heard our outcry over this.

Thank you Apple!

:D

--DotComCTO

P.S. My two new ringtones are the theme from Super Mario Bros (I didn't like any of the ones I've heard out there), and the background music from Super Mario World (Yoshi). Both of my ringtones rock...in a super dorky way...and I've set the looping region so that it loops seamlessly.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i'm pleasantly surprised by this! i'd thought the reason that apple wasn't endorsing this before was because they didn't want to get entangled in copyright issues with the music industry. i guess requiring the use of garageband somehow gets around this, or at least distances apple from risk enough for them to be okay with it...

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This has been such an obvious "synergy" I can't believe it took this long. I'd just about given up on the possibility-- I'm glad they finally did it! Woohoo!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Finally!

While it seemed inevitable, I'm still pleasantly surprised.
This is a nice bit of news heading into the weekend.

Now if we can just get Disk Mode support on iPhones... :p

carlitofox

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
in theroy correct me if i'm wrong (like i had to write that ) but due to their being no copyright as such on home created garageband ringtones could this lead to a upload/podcast type of thing for itunes where people upload there created ringtones and other people can download them ????

that would be cool.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Yay! I'm so excited! :) I have quite a few songs on CDs I'd like to make into ringtones, but don't want to pay $1.98 to get it from the store (or even worse $9.99 for songs that are sold only with the entire album & not by themselves). I would've been content if iTunes checked which CDs you imported and checked to see if those were on the store and just pay 99¢ to make ringtones w/o also having to get the whole song, too.

calpundit

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2005
Plausible deniability

If you read the Apple info doc, it says this at the top (emphasis added):

"With GarageBand 4.1.1 you can export your original song, your original audio recordings, or use Apple Loops and iLife jingles to create a custom ringtone for your iPhone."

Apparently, from the reports on this site, it also works for non-original songs.

I think the wording of the preamble is Apple's answer to the music industry's predictable howls about copyright infringement.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I just don't get Apple nowadays.

Either this was poorly planned releasing this feature after tons of bad will was built-up in the base and the youger folks.

Or, this was their plan all along, and Apple care more about the media companies than us.

I have a buddy who is a senior guy at MSFT, and years ago he said that MSFT could care less about me and the "guys who walk into Best Buy." What they cared about were the networks and content providers.

Apple took a different approach, and the rest is history. I just hope Apple doesn't forget what got them to where they are today.

Either way, this feature addition is a good thing.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
...P.S. My two new ringtones are the theme from Super Mario Bros (I didn't like any of the ones I've heard out there), and the background music from Super Mario World (Yoshi). Both of my ringtones rock...in a super dorky way...and I've set the looping region so that it loops seamlessly.

WoW! What is it like being a geek?!:p:D

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
If you read the Apple info doc, it says this at the top (emphasis added):

"With GarageBand 4.1.1 you can export your original song, your original audio recordings, or use Apple Loops and iLife jingles to create a custom ringtone for your iPhone."

Apparently, from the reports on this site, it also works for non-original songs.

I think the wording of the preamble is Apple's answer to the music industry's predictable howls about copyright infringement.

...or a quick update will "fix" the "problem" with Garageband and limit only to original recordings.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This is more like it!

Great how iPhone functionality is unlocked later. Next up, video recording support.

Can't wait for my iPhone now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.