Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
This is why I ride my scooter. $10 to fill up and that'll last me about a month :cool:

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
I'm kind of disappointed that diesel cars never caught on here in the U.S. They're a lot cleaner than they used to be and deliver comparable fuel economy to hybrids. The only problem is that the way fuel taxes are structured for the trucking industry, diesel fuel is more expensive.

Looking into the future, the predominant factor in oil prices will be developing countries like China and India. The United States is cutting back on its need for gasoline but China and India are just taking that additional supply.

As with all things on the macro level, it's a complicated picture and there are no easy solutions.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
High gas prices are good, it will help ensure that the oil companies make a healthy profit and be able to continue to supply us with high quality gas. Go Exxon!

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Gas here is $1.40 a liter. Just quick math in my head.. That's around $5.30 a gallon.

No one here should be complaining.... And for the people paying even more than we do here... I feel your pain.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
You might consider a wagon - The Jetta SportWagen TDI is a good choice for camping expeditions. Plenty of space inside, perfect for light towing duty and fuel economy is excellent at 30/42mpg. The Escape Hybrid is several thousand dollars more expensive and doesn't necessarily give you better fuel economy (especially on the highway), but if you are dead-set on an SUV and must have AWD then it may be your best option. If you are looking at a gasoline-only option, get a Subaru. Of course, when Subaru's diesel engine finally makes it to the USA, it will be my recommendation for this class of vehicle.

Full disclosure - I like wagons, I don't like SUVs.

I do too, and wish more americans liked wagons. Wagons and hatchbacks are the best of both worlds but unfortunately I am apparently in a super small minority in the USA...

I drive a focus wagon, which gets 30+ mpg on the highway easily and still is capable of hauling a TON of stuff between the folding seats and roof racks.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'm kind of disappointed that diesel cars never caught on here in the U.S. They're a lot cleaner than they used to be and deliver comparable fuel economy to hybrids. The only problem is that the way fuel taxes are structured for the trucking industry, diesel fuel is more expensive.

Here's the problem with diesel engine cars in the USA: they have to meet the same emission standards and gasoline-fueled cars. As such, diesel engines require VERY expensive exhaust emission controls systems, such as the Mercedes-Benz BlueTec system with urea gas injection to make it easier to remove NOx gases from the exhaust.

Besides, gasoline engines are getting a lot more fuel efficient: look at Hyundai's new 1.6-liter I-4 Gamma engine with direct fuel injection that the upcoming 2012 Hyundai Accent and Kio Rio models will use.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Here's the problem with diesel engine cars in the USA: they have to meet the same emission standards and gasoline-fueled cars. As such, diesel engines require VERY expensive exhaust emission controls systems, such as the Mercedes-Benz BlueTec system with urea gas injection to make it easier to remove NOx gases from the exhaust.

true but on the european market without offering diesel engines a car maker is essentially giving up ... like honda for example doesn't bother offering diesel options in the civiz or jazz

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
In terms of it`s total impact on the environment over it`s entire life (including manufacture and disposal of the vehicle) a similar-sized diesel hatchback will destroy a prius.

It makes me laugh every time I see one, my VW Polo Tdi is a much more environmentally sound option.
Just manufacturing and then disposing of the batteries in a prius has more impact on the planet than my whole car!

If diesel is too expensive in the US then just run your diesel on vegetable oil, it`s what diesel engines were originally designed for.
Sadly though, in the UK so many people did this that veg oil is now pretty much the same price as road diesel :eek:

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
My mom drives a 335D - the US emissions on them cuts power pretty heavily. Still a very quick car and probably the best all around car I've driven (and that's a lot). It also uses the urea injection.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I agree to an extent - gasoline costs affect commuters in the US more directly than they do in places like the UK. However, it is not fair to consider the lack of public transport in the US as an eternal constant, or as a decisive argument for focusing on keeping fuel prices very low at all costs.

It needs to change. Our highway-biased transportation infrastucture developed as it did partially due to the influence of auto manufacturers and the availability of cheap fuel. Times change. We have to change. Incrementally, of course, but Americans need to start taking a serious look at their travel/commuting alternatives rather than screaming for the government to somehow keep fuel cheap.

I agree it does need to change. I would love for there to be a large transportation system besides the highways. As much as the Interstate system cost to construct, I don't see why it would cost any more to build a high speed rail system.

Rolla has public transit - just bribe an underage UMR (err, S&T) student with some beer and they'll give you a lift next time they go back home to STL for the weekend ;)

It's UMR ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.