Gave my unlimited AT&T plan up

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdcell100, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Had the unlimited AT&T from day one of first iPad bought an AT&T 4g. New iPad I saw no difference in the speed from 3G to 4g. Brought it back for a Verizion now when I do a speed test the needle is buried off the chart speed with Verizion so glade I returned but it would have been nice to see that kind of speed with my unlimited AT&T plan had that from day 1 I'll miss it

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Are you in an LTE zone? If not, perhaps you should wait until AT&T builds out their network in your area before canceling your plan. Unlimited is nice, and they aren't throttling it yet like they are on the iPhone.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You can also sell your unlimited sim for a nice chunk of change from what I hear.

4. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

Oh noes.

4G is the same thing as 3G. LTE is what you see on the display when you're on the new hi-speed network. You made an epic mistake. You might not have LTE in your area now, but on the day it arrives you will rue the day that you gave up your unlimited data plan.

BJ

5. KPOM macrumors G5

x2. If it isn't too late, just call back AT&T and get your plan back. LTE is too good to deal with 1-5GB limits if you don't have to.

AT&T's questionable advertising of their HSPA+ network as "4G" has just created consumer confusion. Sure, it lets them argue they have the largest 4G network in the country, but it also makes people think their 4G network must be pretty bad since it is so slow and overloaded in much of the market.

6. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Oh no! I'm in an AT&T LTE zone, and I'm getting 18 mb down an 25 mb up. I have the unlimited data plan, and I'm hangin on for as long as they grandfather me.

7. falcora macrumors 6502

Unlimited SIMs fetch $500 on ebay. Don't just turn that over to AT&T. If you really want to give it up, sell it.

8. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I have an unlimited SIM. How do you sell it? Don't I have to turn my plan off before giving to someone else? How can someone else take over payments?

9. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I've seen sellers on eBay say something about a three-way call to AT&T and transferring ownership/liability of the plan to a new owner.

10. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Do not let the sub expire. Get a cheap pre-paid credit card and transfer billing to that so the buyer doesn't get access to your info. That and the AT&T call would be the way to go. You can fetch a pretty penny for sure.

11. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Great info! Thanks!

12. Zeos macrumors 6502

Dumping your unlimited plan for a little instant gratification makes for a bad move IMHO.

13. ano0oj macrumors 6502

AT&T is on the edge of their seats trying to get people off their unlimited plans...shouldve held onto it for sure

14. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Recent statistics show that only 25% of all iPads are 3G or 4G models, and most of their owners spend at least 50% of the time using wi-fi. Add to that the fact that the unlimited data plan from AT&T was only available for one month after the iPad launch in May 2010, and I don't think we're at any major risk of losing our unlimited data plans.

Big picture, there simply aren't enough of us and we aren't using enough data to matter.

BJ

15. fanboy05, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

fanboy05 macrumors regular

Wow!:eek:
    I would have sold it on eBay ... 300+ bucks in your pocket may not be a lot to you, but those unlimited plans can be sold to some one who can use them at the very least. I certainly wouldn't have dropped the plan without selling it, even if I was changing providers !
    Eta... Just checked on eBay, and they are still being bid on, but are all going for over 400...

16. jdcell100 thread starter macrumors regular

When I had the AT&T iPad I never seen lte. In the upper left hand side now with Verizion I see the lte. Thanks for the advice everybody

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

And you wouldn't if you were not in a LTE coverage area.

18. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I'm selling mine because I hate AT&T and now have a new iPad on Verizon.
    My ipad1 still has the unlimited. I'm definitely selling it. AT&T sucks most of the time for me. Even if it's a unique thing to own, I'll sell while it's valuable to someone else. Heck, I can't even tether.

My opinion: we'll look back at these data plans like we currently think of AOL minutes. Remember counting dial-up minutes?? Seems ridiculous to think of now. I'm convinced data plans will go that same direction.

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

Actually 5GB is now the throttle limit for LTE. Would expect to start seeing abusers complain.

20. Bheleu macrumors 6502

That's the iPhone, sigh... People just do not read anymore.

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

No, ATT will be throttling LTE to 5GB.

22. DTxAg macrumors newbie

23. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

24. DeuxIt macrumors member

sold my unlimited plan for 650 on eBay. took all of 1 hour. didn't even need to send the sim. changed user name and password. buyer logged in using sim that came with his new iPad and changed the billing. I didn't want to mess with changing the billing too much and told the buyer he had until April 9 to change from my card and I another charge appeared I would contest the charge and his be 650 dollar plan would disappear. no incentive for him to try and abuse that agreement and little to no risk to me. whole deal took less than 2 hours from listing to transferred. just make sure the description and instructions are crystal clear and the buyer understands the risks. I used less than 1 fb a month on 3/4g so now I save 10/mo and the sale if the plan paid for my new iPad. no regrets.

25. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Can you link to your auction?
    I'm going to sell mine. I had some inquire from this forum but got no response when I offered it for $450. Now I'm glad they didn't take it!