GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB flashing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Xaranar, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Xaranar macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

So I've just gone and got myself a G5 quad core 2.5GHz, mostly for nostalgic reasons but that's by the by. Anyway, after doing some digging around the internet, it seems that the very best GPU that this machine can support officially is the NVidia Quadro FX 4500. However, after more research I have seen that people have had success in flashing a GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB with a custom ROM, usually a modified Quadro or 7800GT ROM, and have it working on a Power Mac G5. My question is, does anyone know where I can obtain this ROM? The threads turning up in my searches are very old, and even though there are links to supposedly working ROMs on them, the response seems to have been mixed at best. On top of that, the one particular guy seemed to be the authority on this particular subject, Japamac, has not been seen in years.

Any help or possible leads you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Try the mac elite site here. I've never flashed any cards myself, so my knowledge is pretty much zero.

3. Xaranar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, DZ, but I have already tried that site, and unfortunately it doesn't contain a ROM for my card.

4. harrymatic macrumors 6502

You might find it somewhere in the Strangedogs forums - this used to be the hangout for all of the GPU flashing crowd back in the day and the ROM is anywhere, it would be there. You need to register an account to view it though.

5. Xaranar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, Harry. I have to say, when I checked out strange dogs, it did look promising, but sadly it proved fruitless. I did actually take the time to try out both ROMs available on this very forum from the old thread I mentioned initially, and interestingly, both of them work. One of them actually gives a significantly higher benchmark score than the other, so I can't help but wonder if there are others out there that perform even better. Another frustrating thing is that there is no way on a PPC to view the core and memory clocks of your GPU, so I cannot see if they are even performing at the speed they should be performing at.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might try this…
    https://archive.org/web/
    …and see if any of your dead links got archived.

7. Sepultura macrumors regular

I have this card in my G5.

Hope you get yours going!

8. Xaranar thread starter macrumors newbie

Would you mind doing a ROM dump and PMing me the file?

9. henrymyf macrumors newbie

Xaranar, I have just finished the rom flashing and it worked! The file in the link is: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/7800-gtx-rom.1552556/, and the file from #14 is the correct one. Let me know if you have any questions with this. Maybe we can work together to get your card flashed correctly.