Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
If a "feminine" AW strap allows me to use the women's lounge at Nordstrom's, I'M ALL IN. The men's room is just a closet in a corner.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
Nope, you're dead wrong. Looks like you're basing your observations only on photos, but if you actually compare them in person, the band portion of the Modern Buckle is indeed significantly thinner than that of the Classic Buckle. A number of members have attested to this (including Arran below). By the way, my wife has the Modern Buckle so I have access to both buckles.

Oh, now the pictures are wrong. Got it. Are you done yet, LOL.

Man here. I would have no problem wearing the modern buckle bands. While I understand that many designers have used large buckles on their designs marketed towards women, I actually quite like the way the Apple interpretation looks. Unfortunately, they do not fit me. My daughter has the brown modern buckle for her 38mm watch and the band even at its largest notch is too tight to be comfortable. And on top of that, I have 42mm watches and there's no 42mm version of the band as you all know.

Well, they do sell the band in medium and large, but like you said, it doesn't come for 42mm. It would end up having to be a 3rd party option. Like anybody who has a 38mm but wants a leather loop would have to do.

If a "feminine" AW strap allows me to use the women's lounge at Nordstrom's, I'M ALL IN. The men's room is just a closet in a corner.

I was going to go there, but thought it would be inappropriate. You can only use the AW strap you were born with LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: BarracksSi

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Oh, now the pictures are wrong. Got it. Are you done yet, LOL.

The pictures aren't wrong, but the comparison is misleading. You're comparing an up-close picture of the thinner Modern Buckle band with a picture of the thicker Classic Buckle band taken further away, so of course they're going to look approximately the same.

Last edited:

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
The pictures aren't wrong, but the comparison is misleading. You're comparing an up-close picture of the thinner Modern Buckle band with a picture of the thicker Classic Buckle band taken further away, so of course they're going to look approximately the same.

That's not how perspective works. Both are close. Look about the same there and in many other pictures that turned up in the image search.

Are you done?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
That's not how perspective works. Both are close. Look about the same there and in many other pictures that turned up in the image search.

Are you done?

It's not even an opinion. You can search for as many pics as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the Modern Buckle band measures thinner than the 38mm Classic Buckle band.

What is an opinion is whether the Modern Buckle is too thin. My wife has one and I don't think it's too thin, but a few members apparently do:

bunnicula said:
The band feels too thin for the large buckle. It's rather odd. I think that it would make more sense if the leather band was about twice as thick as it is now. When wearing it, you have two large lumps... the watch and the buckle...with these thin strips of leather holding them together........I also, to my surprise, like my son's classic buckle. It's the extra thickness of the leather that I like. And these bands aren't even particularly thick anyway.

GrumpyMom said:
The thing I did not like about the modern buckle band was how flimsy it felt when opened. The buckle pieces felt so thin and insubstantial. And it did feel like a mere ribbon was being used to hold up two bulky weights.

flur said:
I too feel like the modern buckle leather is too thin. I also think the clasp is too big and looks really poor when not cinched (though that's really picky - it should only matter what it looks like when it's on, but it was the look of it when not on that irritated me). I went with the classic buckle and am very happy.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
It's not even an opinion. You can search for as many pics as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the Modern Buckle band measures thinner than the 38mm Classic Buckle band.

What is an opinion is whether the Modern Buckle is too thin. My wife has one and I don't think it's too thin, but a few members apparently do:

The pictures are clear. Nothing more to be said.

Reactions: Lashae

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
That's not how perspective works. Both are close. Look about the same there and in many other pictures that turned up in the image search...
I'd like to ask if you've seen these in person first. Because those two images are not the same distance. The apple watch should be larger than the clasp if they were. But that point aside, they're not the same, the modern buckle is noticeably thinner than the classic buckle.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
You're disputing what's a known fact and common knowledge among MR members who have compared both buckles. It's obvious you have never seen them in person.

There is nothing to dispute. The pictures are clear. You've failed to make your case.

Now, stop replying to me, LOL.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
There is nothing to dispute. The pictures are clear. You've failed to make your case.

Now, stop replying to me, LOL.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 2.38.59 PM.png

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
You were claiming that both bands are the same thickness. The photo clearly shows that the Modern Buckle band is thinner.

That is not what I said. You should have read carefully.

As far as I'm concerned, the modern buckle is a neutral band. That still stands, whether you like it or not. I do not care to discuss that any further.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
It's a real pity Apple's own training documents support fabricated gender stereotypes. I vote in favor of firing John Browett as vice president of Retail and replacing him with someone with gender blindness and experience in luxury retail. Perhaps Angela Ahrendts of Burberry fame?
image2.png

scenario1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JayLenochiniMac

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
I may be old school but as far as I'm concerned the 38mm is for women and the 42mm is for men. I've been a watch guy for most of my life and traditionally when watchmakers made a larger and smaller version of the same watch they were considered "his" and "hers". In the past most men wouldn't even think of buying the smaller "lady's" size, and frankly unless your wrist is extremely small it seems odd to me that anyone would think the 42mm size is too big for a guy. It is only slightly bigger than traditional men's watches, and considerably smaller than the average 44-48mm size today (especially taking into account that it is 42mm vertically and only 36mm across).

I also agree with the majority that the Modern Buckle is definitely feminine due to the over-sized purse-like curvy buckle, thinner leather and 38mm size. It is pointless to argue back and forth about what makes a watch or band feminine or masculine...it's like arguing about the difference between a purse and a messenger bag. Objects have no gender but they can definitely be designed to appeal to one or the other.

And really I don't see anything wrong with that. Apple did not label them as "Men's" and "Lady's" so as to avoid backlash from offending anyone in this PC gender-neutral crazed climate we find ourselves in. Men and women are different and that's a fact. Why not celebrate our differences in preference and tastes rather than argue about what makes a watchband male or female? I don't know when this gender problem started, I don't know how it became wrong for some things to be for guys and others for girls. But if it keeps going this way eventually we will all be wearing the same color-neutral unisex jumpsuits and that's a world I don't want to live in.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I may be old school but as far as I'm concerned the 38mm is for women and the 42mm is for men. I've been a watch guy for most of my life and traditionally when watchmakers made a larger and smaller version of the same watch they were considered "his" and "hers". In the past most men wouldn't even think of buying the smaller "lady's" size, and frankly unless your wrist is extremely small it seems odd to me that anyone would think the 42mm size is too big for a guy. It is only slightly bigger than traditional men's watches, and considerably smaller than the average 44-48mm size today (especially taking into account that it is 42mm vertically and only 36mm across).

I also agree with the majority that the Modern Buckle is definitely feminine due to the over-sized purse-like curvy buckle, thinner leather and 38mm size. It is pointless to argue back and forth about what makes a watch or band feminine or masculine...it's like arguing about the difference between a purse and a messenger bag. Objects have no gender but they can definitely be designed to appeal to one or the other.

And really I don't see anything wrong with that. Apple did not label them as "Men's" and "Lady's" so as to avoid backlash from offending anyone in this PC gender-neutral crazed climate we find ourselves in. Men and women are different and that's a fact. Why not celebrate our differences in preference and tastes rather than argue about what makes a watchband male or female? I don't know when this gender problem started, I don't know how it became wrong for some things to be for guys and others for girls. But if it keeps going this way eventually we will all be wearing the same color-neutral unisex jumpsuits and that's a world I don't want to live in.
I think cogs worth has a very suitable name anyway. I don't agree with his opinion but we all have one.

Reactions: IphoneIssues

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

There is a couple of problems with your post:

1) It's now the trend for women to rock big ass watches so manufacturers have started making "hers" watches in both the small and large sizes (depending on the style). Some of them are 40mm round, which is roughly the same size as Apple's 42mm.

2) Traditionally, ladies watches have been much smaller than Apple's 38mm and men's watches were more akin to Apple's 38mm, and this still holds true for some current models.

I think the line has been blurred so it's not necessarily true that 38mm is for women and 42mm is for men. The size differential is simply not large enough.

Last edited:

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
There is a couple of problems with your post:

1) It's now the trend for women to rock big ass watches so manufacturers have started making "hers" watches in both the small and large sizes (depending on the style). Some of them are 40mm round, which is roughly the same size as Apple's 42mm.

2) Traditionally, ladies watches have been much smaller than Apple's 38mm and men's watches were more akin to Apple's 38mm, and this still holds true for some current models.

I think the line has been blurred so it's not necessarily true that 38mm is for women and 42mm is for men. The size differential is simply not large enough.
There's a couple problems with your post as well:

1) Yes some women are rocking larger watches, but 40mm is hardly "big-ass". Try on a 52mm beast and you'll have some idea what a big-ass watch is, and there are very few ladies rocking those...but there are some.

2) Historically men's watches ranged from 35-37mm wide, going up to 37-39mm in the 90's and now sitting in the 45-48mm range. The 38mm Apple watch might be 38mm high, but it measures only 32.3mm across which makes it smaller even than the historical average for men's size watches. It is not "akin" to men's watches at any point in time.
[doublepost=1463153579][/doublepost]
I think cogs worth has a very suitable name anyway. I don't agree with his opinion but we all have one.
This makes absolutely no sense. If you're going to counter my opinion with a childish insult, at least try and come up with something that makes sense.

Reactions: IphoneIssues
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.