'Genius Bar' TV Pilot

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
46,727
8,941


Hollywood Reporter notes a new comedy Pilot that has been given the go ahead by CBS.

Based on an idea by consumer marketing expert Krishnan Menon, the project explores the interactions between people who work at a place similar to the Genius Bar at the Apple stores and the cool, hip and beautiful employees at a nearby Abercrombie & Fitch-type store.
The idea reportedly drew strong interest from ABC, CBS and NBC but finally ended up at CBS. The show will be written by Josh Sternin and Jeff Ventimilia who were executive producers of Fox's "That 70's Show".

The show is based on an idea by "consumer marketing expert" Krishnan Menon who had previously been involved with the launch and marketing of the iMac and iPod for Apple.
 

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
802
0
As always, it all depends on the writing.

This could be crap, or gold. Here's hoping to gold!
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,499
1,783
Before people get confused... it seems like it would not be a real "Apple" store in the show

"at a place similar to the Genius Bar at the Apple stores"

Apple probably isn't involved in this thing at all. Instead it will be a Apple-ish setting...

Kinda like how Studio 60 TV station is "NBS" (not NBC)

arn
 

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
889
10
USA
iMikeT said:
I don't know. The writers are from Fox. Enough said.

Dude, Fox Entertainment is different from Fox News. Fox gave us Family Guy, Simpsons, Prison Break, 24, and I believe Arrested Development.
 

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
1,043
0
New York, NY
x86isslow said:
Dude, Fox Entertainment is different from Fox News. Fox gave us Family Guy, Simpsons, Prison Break, 24, and I believe Arrested Development.
yeah, but those writers aren't writing this show. I wasn't a big fan of That 70's Show but it wasn't too bad... I don't really see that same format succeeding with the outline above though.
 

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
297
0
Redlands, CA
The Apple connection is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

The co-founder of Apple was on the Colbert Report last night but that isn't front page news.
 

intlplby

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
70
0
one thing we know for sure is that if it is successful FOX will cancel it after one season as it does with all its other decent shows..... they need to make room for shows like "When Goldfish Attack"
 

bob15487

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
9
0
hahaha... I work at an A&F that is right down the way from an Apple store. I go into the Apple store just about every day on my break to check my email, etc... I couldn't stop laughing when I read the idea of the show...

They better write it well! haha
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,499
1,783
mahonmeister said:
The co-founder of Apple was on the Colbert Report last night but that isn't front page news.
If you think a story should be on the front page, you should submit it, not complain in the comment section.

And the show is called "Genius Bar", I think it is clearly Apple-inspired.

arn
 

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
370
0
Soldotna, Alaska
intlplby said:
one thing we know for sure is that if it is successful FOX will cancel it after one season as it does with all its other decent shows..... they need to make room for shows like "When Goldfish Attack"
It won't be on Fox, it'll be on CBS.
 

Rocketman

macrumors 603
arn said:
Before people get confused... it seems like it would not be a real "Apple" store in the show

"at a place similar to the Genius Bar at the Apple stores"

Apple probably isn't involved in this thing at all. Instead it will be a Apple-ish setting...

Kinda like how Studio 60 TV station is "NBS" (not NBC)

arn

I agree the "brand confusion" possibility is a negative. I would dislike the "genius bar" concept going the way of Kleenex, and being perceived as generic.

Rocketman
 

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
3,773
1
Rhode Island
Well, I think TV generally sucks. Once in a while, though, there's a stroke of genious. My prediction is that this show will suck, but people will watch it anyway, just because it exists.
 

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
297
0
Redlands, CA
arn said:
If you think a story should be on the front page, you should submit it, not complain in the comment section.

And the show is called "Genius Bar", I think it is clearly Apple-inspired.

arn
I apologize. I wasn't trying to complain, just was backing up my argument with an example.

Anywho, I'll not upset the Gods. Story submitted.
 

Cheese

macrumors 6502
Using the phrase, "Genius Bar" will make it a household word, (like iPod). People who do not know that the Genius Bar is a unique part of the Apple experience may get the idea that every peece store in every mall has a genius bar. The same way I hear people calling their generic MP3 player an iPod. For the most part, they don't know there is a difference, and aren't willing to learn about why the real thing is better.
 

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
482
0
No
ghall said:
Well, I think TV generally sucks. Once in a while, though, there's a stroke of [genius]. My prediction is that this show will suck, but people will watch it anyway, just because it exists.
Yes.

I couldn't help but to burst out laughing. So true.
 

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
8,636
0
In his blog, Krishnan Menon notes that "The Genius Bar" is only a working title. It could end up with an entirely different name later on.

With the BOFH series of stories in mind, I think this could work.