Geohot Withdraws from iPhone Jailbreak and Unlock Scene

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Krafty, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/
    There you have it, another reason not to expect anything from him.

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I appreciate that out of him - still just that edge of arrogance though. Nonetheless, I'm trying to figure out what all you jokers who swore up and down that the JB was coming out from geohot within the next few days have to think about this.

3. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but saying "It never stops", well no crap... that's hacking! If he's just now figuring that out, then I don't want to support him in making any more ra1n.

Look at the Microsoft hackers. They've been doing that forever. Microsoft always patches these exploits, and what to they do? Try again. Keep going. When MS introduces "Windows genuine stuff", they work around it. That's what hackers do.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

It attracted a much more mature hacker as well. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

5. macfan881 macrumors 68020

This guy has been a Jack A$$ since the whole ps3 debacle since he never relase a so called hac on the ps3 it forced Sony to remove a good feature and i can go ahead and say F you to geohot.

6. OnTheZone macrumors regular

Agreed but I think he was referring to all the babies whining about everything and always being demanding. Which if he doesn't enjoying it anymore then more power to him to quit.

7. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

more people working on the jailbreak is a good thing as each might be able to discover alternative exploits. so, on the one hand it's sad to see him go as you can't deny the guy had skills, however..his arrogance is something that the world doesn't need.

8. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Whatever his flaws may have been, he is still one of the best hackers around. I am not surprised at his decision to quit, especially after seeing the way that people were demanding, whining, and generally acting like morons.

9. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Basically, he's saying "I'm better than all of you idiots, now f**k off" :rolleyes:

Shame really, this guy is smart, he's just let it get to his head, and has clearly decided to bugger off and not do anything to assist the community anymore for no real reason.

10. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

+ 1. At last he seems to recognize it was a douche move on his part.

11. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

He got exactly what he wanted. He wanted everyone begging him for it. Hes just a kid.

12. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

He's too big for his britches.
    I'm sick and tired of hearing about him!
    Good riddance!

13. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Can you blame him? Douchebags calling his phone demanding a jailbreak, WTF? The dude is the BEST iPhone hacker and I feel like the people who don't like him are the same people he's talking about.

While venturing over to the Android community for a while I realized it even more that people doing these "hacks" aren't getting paid, doing it in their free time and as much as the majority wants to believe these guys are nerds and have no lives, it's the exact opposite.

I'd love a jailbreak but I respect geohotz decision to back down from this. People complain and complain and complain, it gets old. Go read some of the comments on the dev-teams posts on their sites.

14. dayloon macrumors 6502

It would be a great shame if he withdrew from the iphone scene, his knowledge and ability always seemed to be 1 step ahead of others on the scene.

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Couldn't agree more.
    It's idiots that feel like they're entitled to a jailbreak or unlock that pisses geohot off. He gets thousands of Twitter messages a day
    asking when a new unlock or jailbreak will be released. Almost all of the idiots who ask him hardly speak english, and have no idea what they're talking about. I would have lost it long before now.
    I don't blame him. However, he doesn't really mention that he's done hacking forever. Eventually we will see the return of geohot.

16. g30hd3 macrumors newbie

Maybe he'll grow up someday and stop thinking he's the son of Zeus or something.

17. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Then geohot should simply shut up and quit whining. He shouldn't do interviews with modmyi. He should shut down his blog or if he doesn't want to do that, he can ignore it. You don't see the dev-team whining the way he did, do you? No, they're mature. Geohot wasn't the first and he wont be the last.

He's like a little kid who cries and announces he is taking his toys and going home when what he ought to do is just leave if that's what he wants to do. But he doesn't, he can't resist taking a parting shot.

And if people don't like him and find him an arrogant, self centered twit then they're douchebags? Pffft.

18. still in school macrumors 6502

ROFL. Exactly... There's too many people that are blinded by wanting the JB so bad that they make themselves believe what they want to see.

19. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Good riddance. True, I agree that people have been acting way too entitled to a jailbreak.. but IMO Geohot could have done a number of things to fix that. Get a new phone number, deactivate Twitter, shut down his blog if he really didn't like the attention. The Dev-Team (Comex, Musclenerd, etc) all get way more tweets than he does and you don't see them complaining. Why? Because they're mature enough to realize that if you can't be a celebrity without papparazzi.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Looked to me like he just wanted to get some attention. He didn’t say he wouldn’t release something; just that he had to think about it.

21. aperry macrumors 6502a

Agreed! I wish the guy would just shut up and leave. Every statement he makes these days seems to be for the purpose of getting people to beg him to stay and release a jailbreak. And when they do, he gets all mad and complains about all the messages he gets. If he really wants people to stop bugging him then he should just shut up and leave.

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

sigh.

exACTLY why I got out of the hackintosh scene.

so much drama. I mean I know how annoying it is to do stuff for people who have absolutely no idea just how difficult it is and that it can't be done with a Staples ™ easy button.

But still. Financial motivation always seems to be the best. Doing it "for the lulz" seems to never have perpetual steam.

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I will be happy when I never have to hear about this whiney little runt again.

What? I said runt.

24. war eagle macrumors 6502a

He was the first.

@Fast/Furious... Why should he have to change his number? I can understand shutting down the blog or what not, but should he pack up and move too because people are retards and might come ringing his doorbell? Regardless of how arrogant you think he is for not giving people a jailbreak that he doesn't have to, everyone is entitled to their own damn privacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.