Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
haha some douch wants to buy his code. pathetic.

geohot you're the man.

That's just tip of the iceberg. Jody Sanders was responsible for a 30+ pages (it is still there) thread in Hackitn0sh forums. He started selling repackaged forms of QuickPwn and Pwnage.

First he claimed he was a mother of 4 (well 3 I think), then by the Power of Google, we discovered the real truth. And thus a sh*t stom happened. DoS and Jody Sanders himself posted and well, he was received as anyone like him should. Take a peak for yourself (you might recognize a user there also while you read the comments;))

Mind you this happened like a year ago.

Linky

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Hey, quick clarification.

I know 3.1 uses modem 5.11.07, but what does 3.1.2 use? I think it's the same (as in will be unlocked with new blacksn0w), but I want to be sure.

I'm thinking of just upgrading my 3G (currently 3.1/5.11.07) in iTunes to the latest and then running blackra1n to jailbreak. I'm on AT&T for now but I want to keep my baseband vulnerable.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hey, quick clarification.

I know 3.1 uses modem 5.11.07, but what does 3.1.2 use? I think it's the same (as in will be unlocked with new blacksn0w), but I want to be sure.

I'm thinking of just upgrading my 3G (currently 3.1/5.11.07) in iTunes to the latest and then running blackra1n to jailbreak. I'm on AT&T for now but I want to keep my baseband vulnerable.

Same but the newer 3GS on 3.1.2 have the new bootrom also.

None of that will apply if you update via Pwnage Tool.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
The new bootrom (without the jailbreak exploit) is the big issue for future unlocks isn't it?

No jailbreak means no unlock :(

I'm surprised this is not being mentioned more, but I guess not too many people yet have the updated phones.

Update - sorry, did not know there was a tethered jailbreak already. Reduces the problem at least.

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
this guy is great...He is great at what he does and does it faster then everyone else...

FastangV6

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
The new bootrom (without the jailbreak exploit) is the big issue for future unlocks isn't it?

No jailbreak means no unlock :(

I'm surprised this is not being mentioned more, but I guess not too many people yet have the updated phones.

Update - sorry, did not know there was a tethered jailbreak already. Reduces the problem at least.

you're right.

blacksn0w sounds great for those with 3g iphones and 3gs iphones made in week 36 and before, but it isn't going to be as helpful for people who are buying new 3GS iphones now and in the future.

The jailbreak for the new phones is still "tethered" and is not a feasible option for most ppl. looks like the resale value of phones with old bootrom could be going up...

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
you're right.

blacksn0w sounds great for those with 3g iphones and 3gs iphones made in week 36 and before, but it isn't going to be as helpful for people who are buying new 3GS iphones now and in the future.

The jailbreak for the new phones is still "tethered" and is not a feasible option for most ppl. looks like the resale value of phones with old bootrom could be going up...

so is the new bootrom week 37 and above. My friend has a week 37 build, how do I check which bootrom it has before JB

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
That's just tip of the iceberg. Jody Sanders was responsible for a 30+ pages (it is still there) thread in Hackitn0sh forums. He started selling repackaged forms of QuickPwn and Pwnage.

First he claimed he was a mother of 4 (well 3 I think), then by the Power of Google, we discovered the real truth. And thus a sh*t stom happened. DoS and Jody Sanders himself posted and well, he was received as anyone like him should. Take a peak for yourself (you might recognize a user there also while you read the comments;))

Linky

I remember reading through that thread... Good times.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
what will be the difference between Blacksn0w and blackra1n?

I wanna unlock my 2g ipod touch thats on 3.1.2 firmware. but the iclarified said dont let the battery die or your'll have to re-do it.

You can jailbreak a 2g ipod touch with blackra1n, the issue with the battery only applies to 3g ipod touches as the jailbreak for now is only tethered, that is, it needs to be connected to a computer running blackra1n in order to boot, so as long as you don't reboot your touch, you should be ok with a 3rd gen touch, but since you have 2nd gen touch, this does not apply to you.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
so is the new bootrom week 37 and above. My friend has a week 37 build, how do I check which bootrom it has before JB

1. Connect your 3GS to your Mac and put it into DFU mode.
2. On your Mac, click the Apple Logo in the upper left corner.
3. Click About this Mac - More info...
4. Click Hardware - USB - USB High Speed Bus - Apple Mobile Device (DFU mode) Make sure it says the iPhone is in DFU mode.
5. Look for the iBoot version under the Serial Number.
6. If the iBoot version is 359.3.2 (might read 359.3-2) or higher, you have the new one that can't be done with an untethered JB.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
you're right.

May not be true. I have a week 38 iphone that I purchased 3 weeks ago in an apple store and used Pwnage tool to jailbreak it. I never updated the software or carrier settings on the phone though beforehand. It was 3.1 until I used Pwnage tools. I stay away from Apple's updates.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK

Linky

Well, anyone who posts there, please revive the thread or start a new one! Geohot is asking us to spread the word as widely as possible to prevent people being ripped off for his work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.