Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple sent out an email today to subscribers about the iPhone with tips on how to get ready for the iPhone. The email reads:

iPhone arrives on June 29. iPhone features an amazing mobile phone, is the best iPod we've ever created, and puts the Internet in your pocket with desktop-class email, web browsing, searching, and maps. And iPhone makes it all easy to use with its revolutionary multi-touch user interface. iPhone syncs with your PC or Mac just like an iPod, so organizing your content now will help you start calling, texting, emailing, surfing, listening, and watching even faster when you get your iPhone. Here are a few suggestions to help you get ready:

Contacts
Making a call with iPhone is as simple as tapping a name. You won't need to re-enter all your contacts because iPhone syncs with the address book you already use on your computer—Address Book or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook or Outlook Express on a PC. If you keep your contacts on the web using Yahoo! Address Book, iPhone can sync with them, too. To get ready for iPhone, organize your contacts in one of these applications and make sure they're up to date with the latest phone numbers and email addresses. If you don't have contacts on your computer, don't worry. You can still enter them directly into iPhone.

Calendar
Using its built-in calendar, iPhone lets you check your appointments with the flick of a finger. iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer—iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC—just like it does with your contacts. If you don't already use one of these applications to manage your appointments, now is a great time to start, so you'll be ready to sync when your iPhone arrives. If you choose not to use a calendar program, that's OK. You'll be able to enter appointments directly into the iPhone calendar.

Email
iPhone is the first phone to come with a desktop-class email application. So now your phone can display rich HTML email with graphics and photos alongside the text. iPhone will even fetch your latest email every time you open the application and automatically retrieve your email on a set schedule, just like a computer does. iPhone works with the most popular email systems—including Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, AOL, and .Mac Mail. If you're not already using one of these services, now would be a great time to get an account. iTunes will make email setup on iPhone a breeze by automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Mail on a Mac or Outlook on a PC. Don't worry if you're not on one of these email services; iPhone also works with almost any industry-standard POP3 and IMAP email system.

Photos
iPhone has a 2-megapixel camera and a gorgeous 3.5-inch display, so it's a great way to enjoy and show off your digital photos. iPhone uses iTunes to sync your photos from iPhoto on a Mac or Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Photoshop Album, or any picture folder on a PC. You can carry thousands of photos on iPhone, but you can start by creating an album or two with 50 to 100 of your favorite photos, so that when you first sync your iPhone, you'll be ready to quickly show off some of your best shots.

Music and Video
iPhone is the best iPod ever. Its beautiful, 3.5-inch widescreen display allows you to easily enjoy the music, TV shows, and movies you have in your iTunes library. If you already use iTunes, you can start getting ready for iPhone by creating a playlist of a few hundred of your favorite songs. If you don't have iTunes, now is a good time to download it and start a music and video library. That way, when you sync your iPhone with iTunes, you'll be able to take your favorite music, as well as a few of your TV shows and movies, with you wherever you go.

iTunes Account
To set up your iPhone, you'll need an account with Apple's iTunes Store. If you already have an iTunes account, make sure you know your account name and password. If you don't have an account, you should set one up now to save time later. To set up an account, launch iTunes, select the iTunes Store, and click the Sign In button in the upper right corner of iTunes. Sign in and you're ready to go.

Dreil

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2005
Looks like activation is going to be done through iTunes, and not at the stores!

This means no waiting in long long lines...just a credit card and you're good to go!

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
Just got it too. Looks like Apple is starting its final marketing push before the 29th.

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Java and Flash

... simply a MUST for launch. They are talking some pretty BIG TALK regarding Safari and OSX - the phone will get slammed in the reviews if Safari does not truly perform like a real browser.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Locked and Loaded

Okay, I'm set. Like who doesn't have an iTunes account. I enjoys purchasing my music on iTunes. Are you kidding me $.99 for a song, instead of spending $15 for a CD with a couple of decent songs on it?

I'm looking forward to RENTING HD movies on my Apple TV. Instead of paying Blockbuster $18 every month (even when I'm away from home on vacation) and trying to find some movies to rent, just because I can get another movie. Let me tell you, I'm down to so pretty lame B movies in my local BB.

Gee Apple allowing you to rent just the one or two movies you want, versus BB selling you a package for $18 / whether or not I can find that many movies I want to watch each month.

It all about Freedom. I'll rent a couple on Apple Tv and and keep the $100 or so dollars I'll save every year. Not to mention the gas to drive back to BB!!!
Gas is over $3.50 here in CA.

Al

chenjas1

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
Looks like activation is going to be done through iTunes, and not at the stores!

This means no waiting in long long lines...just a credit card and you're good to go!

Where do you read into it that activations are done through iTunes? To me, it appears what they are saying is that iTunes is the hub (obviously) and that it is required for iPhone setup and use.

I find it unlikely that ATT or Apple would let you purchase the iPhone w/o signing a contract at the store. Otherwise, these puppies would be all over eBay within a matter of minutes.

DejaVuYou

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2004
It's about the iPhone email

I think I will wait and see what using it will cost before I get overly excited about it. I appreciate it as it is a technological marvel and look forward to it's arrival.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Where do you read into it that activations are done through iTunes? To me, it appears what they are saying is that iTunes is the hub (obviously) and that it is required for iPhone setup and use.
But why? The iPod doesn't make you have an iTunes account....atleast as far as I know.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm liking the sound of the iPhone now, I just wish it was "teh ultimate" phone, with GPS and 3G. Maybe by the Euro launch? I wouldn't mind one now they're almost here.

Egomaniac

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
So... how much does the damned monthly service cost? What's the point of keeping this a secret a mere two weeks away from launch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.