Getting AT&T to waive Activation fees...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 22, 2013.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Do they do this if you get a FAN discount?

Is the fee only for upgrades or whenever you sign a new contract?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

In the many other threads asking this same question most people have not been able to get them to waive the upgrade fee.

For upgrades, because you obviously won't sign a new contract unless you are upgrading.

3. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

is it just an upgrade fee? What if you're new to AT&T completely

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Well if you are new then you aren't upgrading.

If you are a new customer and sign up for the very first time then there is a $36 activation fee.

If you are already a customer and upgrade your phone then there is a $36 upgrade fee.

5. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

wow...

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I was able to get it waived via chat.......

View attachment 435260

Attached Files:

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i got mine waived too (activation) when i opened a new line out of contract. I find that if youre talking about a line thats not under contract, you have more leverage because they know you can leave whenever you want.

8. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

We haven't paid one in years. My wife calls and tells them we want it taken off because we are good customers and always pay the bill blah blah blah and it's never a problem.

9. billycuth macrumors 6502a

10. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

That wouldn't be ApolloMD by chance, would it?

11. Becact macrumors member

12. got2go macrumors member

If I buy my phone direct from Apple I ask for a refund and they give it to me. If i buy in store and have to work with a CSR then you have to be lucky.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Excellent point; good basis for argument that there's no AT&T CSR to be paid out of the upgrade fee since it was a purchase via another establishment.

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Apollo Group University of Phoenix.

----------

They can't waive the fee in store.

15. rxtiger macrumors member

Got lucky on chat. With very little work, got credits for my three new phones.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I sent an email. They said I already got an upgrade fee waived last fall.

However, they gave me a $25.00 credit. Annoying considering some got it waived completely, but $25 is better than nothing.

This upgrade fee is annoying business practice. I'd rather than build it into the price of the phone or bill if they had to, this type of fee really annoys consumers.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The $25.00 credit is AT&T's standard "get this annoying customer out of our hair" credit. Most CS reps have wide latitude in issuing such a credit so long as it's not a frequent thing on a user's account history, and the account is in good standing. Above that, they have to escalate the issue a bit.

So most likely, the rep handling your request tossed you that bone in the hopes you'd take it and s/he wouldn't have to do any extra work. Also, escalating is a bit of a gamble: if an upper tier support rep says no, they can also say no to the $25, and you get nothing at all.

On one hand, your complaint wasn't really registered with AT&T, but on the other, you got a partial credit with little fuss.

Agreed, it's basically free money, especially when a customer buys their phone from Apple.

18. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I don't see why. Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade their phone every year when they knowingly sign and agree to a 2 year contract.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Because the upgrade fee is not IN the contract, and as evidenced by people who can get it waived, enforcement on the fee is non-uniform. AT&T's stated justification for the fee is also in dispute when a customer doesn't use AT&T's sales channels to upgrade, such as when they buy from Apple. In such cases, Apple expends the staff and the resources to sell and activate the phones, and yet is not reimbursed for any of the "cost recovery" AT&T is allegedly collecting from this fee.

20. powerbook911, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The $36 fee has nothing to do with every year I don't think? It's whenever you upgrade, even if you waited 5 years. I just find this fee annoying because it's like "tack one thing on the customer that isn't as up-front so they won't notice and complain."

Also...they told me the $36 covers the cost to teach the retailer, Apple, how to setup the phones on their network. haha.

21. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

I ordered my iPhone 5s gold on the 22nd online w apple.com. It says it will ship in October. Fine I will wait for this mysterious shipping date but I noticed as soon as I ordered the phone there was a $36 upgrade fee on my ATT bill. BEFORE I even received the phone, before it shipped before I even activate it. What is going on? I don't ever remember this happening before, is this now normal practice. I'm calling tomorrow to get this straightened out. It's a stupid fee for someone who has been a long standing customer w multiple lines and pays the bill on time. Ugggggg

22. varsityhero macrumors regular

My girlfriend and I upgraded our phones. I did an online chat and the rep was able to waive both upgrade fees. I didn't even have to ask twice. The rep was very friendly, so I decided to be really nice to her which paid off. Convo is below.

23. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Hmm, I wonder if I could get mine waived...I don't even know what FAN is.

24. varsityhero macrumors regular

I don't know what FAN technically stands for, but AT&T gives me a discount on my plan because of where I work. They call this type of discount a FAN account.

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Foundation Account Number.

Most people with a FAN don't pay activation fees. They do get charged upgrade fees. For those, you have to negotiate with a rep to try to get them waived.

I got 3 of mine waived this year. Gotta call and try for the 4th.