Getting MMS to work with AT&T (Screenshots Included)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonHiccup, Jun 17, 2009.

1. JasonHiccup macrumors member

NOTE AGAIN...: I said calling AT&T is an important part of getting this to work. Not because I felt like typing useless information - but because it's an important step. It is true some users have been able to get it work without calling AT&T - also some users haven't been able to get it work even while calling AT&T. Just be sure to ask them switch over the way your phone receives MMS messages. You receive them in link form now. You need them to send & receive just like any other phones. DO NOT ask them to remove the "mms block". Chances are - your phone doesn't have one. You just receive the text messages wrong.

ANOTHER NOTE: I keep hearing people saying that they're asking AT&T to remove the MMS block on there account. I said NOTHING about an MMS block. Your iphone is currently set up to receive MMS messages in the form of a link where you have to enter in a username and password. I simply asked them, like stated below, to change the settings so the phone receives MMS messages just like any other phone. Some reps will resist to change these settings. I had good experience from a Business rep. But like I said, Ask them to change the MMS settings so instead of receiving a link, you receive a direct picture. Unless you asked them to block MMS specifically, there will not be a block on your account.
    note: you must restart your phone after entering the mms settings for the camera icon to appear in the messages application.

I just got my MMS working and this is how thanks to users in this thread.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=723378

Goto this link and enable tethering.
    http://www.9to5mac.com/iPhone-3G-tethering?page=

Use this settings (Thanks andrewseely) in settings:general:network:cellular data network

APN: wap.cingular
    Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password: CINGULAR1
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    MMS Max Message Size: [leave blank]
    MMS UA Prof URL: [leave blank]

Then lastly, call ATT to have them change there MMS settings. I specifically said "Can you change my mms settings so my iPhone will receive MMS just like any other phone instead of the link method".

I am now able to send and receive MMS.

Hope this works for you guys instead. Here's a screenshot of the convo between the rep. Notice the AT&T network on the top left.

Attached Files:

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

while there are a bunch of threads already on this

this is what worked for me. :p on both lines of my account

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i dont have a cellular data network under my network page, can you please help? thanks

4. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

if you read through the links you'd know that you have to update the ipcc file to get the options :p

5. JasonHiccup thread starter macrumors member

Follow the steps from the start. The link that enables tethering will enable the screen.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i see, well i dont want to change the ipcc file so i guess i am out of luck until ATT allows it for us. thanks for letting me know though.

7. jake36wi41 macrumors member

Same here, although I got tethering to work yesterday using the benm.at site. Any help is great (yes I know I could search, but I thought I'd throw out there that I'm experiencing a similar issue)

8. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i don't know what file these people are hosting but i have one that is working i can send you for MMS ( i dont know if tethering is working seeing as i've only tested tethering through bluetooth once)

aim : RmeOFme

9. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i enabled tethering using the benm website. but i still dont see it.

10. Cru Jones macrumors newbie

Cru Jones

What about VM? I did this a few days ago, and now I've realized that I haven't received a VM since then. Now I haven't had a BM since realizing it.

11. jake36wi41 macrumors member

wow my bad, that was easy, I'll try to not be so lazy next time :p

12. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

i have had these settings for a few days now and i still cant get them to go through and im not on a "iphone texting plan"

13. Senn macrumors member

:rolleyes:

as if there arent 10 multipage threads about this as it is

it doesnt work

14. JasonHiccup thread starter macrumors member

I have the family text messaging plan. I had no problem what so ever getting the AT&T reps to change my mms to the right settings. I will note that JUST changing the settings did not work. It didn't work untill I called AT&T and had them change it.

15. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Settings > Network > Tethering

16. JasonHiccup thread starter macrumors member

Umm. Yes. It does work. I am able to send and receive mms using my iPhone on AT&T.

17. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey thanks for the help. i did the 9to5 tether setup and i now see the cellular data network screen. i entered the settings but upon opening messages i dont see the camera button to send an mms.

18. medicvz macrumors member

Seems like no one really has had luck with the AT&T reps... what number did you call and what did you say that convinced them to change your account to allow MMS? (Seems like most report that the AT&T reps are hip to folks trying to call and get their settings changed).

Good for you that you got it working.

19. JasonHiccup thread starter macrumors member

You have to restart your phone for the icon to appear.

I have a buisness line so I had buisness customer care. I dialed 611.

20. fazm macrumors newbie

anyone else tried this? i have done everything but make the call to att. before i do i want to see if it works.

it is my bday after all lol

21. dietwater5 macrumors newbie

i did the att file update and i can now see the cellular data settings and put them all in but i still do not have the camera icon in texting. I restarted my phone and still nothing. any ideas?

22. brian4610 macrumors regular

can you send me one as well? i don't get that cellular network data page, i do have tethering set up....

23. Westin macrumors regular

24. bmms8 macrumors 68020

ATT rep said on friday there will be an update through iTunes.

25. Westin macrumors regular

Can you send me it as well