Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Thinking of getting the Asus Transformer over the iPad 2. It's like having the iPad and the MacBook Air all in one device. And it runs the Honeycomb 3.0 which looks so smooth.

Sorry iPad :p. (Already own the first iteration.) :p

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
I am tempted by such devices, but want to wait and see what happens with MS's tablet version of windows they're supposed to be working on.

For me a tablet with docking solution to turn it into a full laptop (i.e. the docking base has full windows and the tablet part just becomes a screen when docked).

As they I have a tablet which I love for reading etc, but also a portable laptop for business trips. Currently I just have a big laptop as I need a full sized and powered laptop as that's my main work at home machine. I hate lugging it on the road, but I don't travel enough to justify buying a 2nd, smaller laptop just for travel, and no current tablets are robust enough for me to get my work done on.

So some future windows tablet with laptop dock type of thing would be an ideal middle ground for me. Tablet I use around the house, dock I take along when traveling so I can do work on that and take it instead of my heavy Thinkpad.

For now, the iPad is the best tablet, so I'll stick with it and just lug my Thinkpad on business trips.

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Yeah but the ClamCase is more expensive with the iPad 1 than the Transformer will be price wise.

You didn't mention price was a factor: you just said that "Apple didn't have a docking to convert the iPad 2 into a laptop", and I was just pointing out that there is at least one available from a third party.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Nope.

Nope.

If you mean it's like having a laptop and tablet, fine. But an Asus laptop is nothing like a Macbook Air and an Android tablet is nothing like an iPad

Laptops are laptops and tablets are tablets. Take away the fluff and you got the same thing happening.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Thinking of getting the Asus Transformer over the iPad 2. It's like having the iPad and the MacBook Air all in one device. And it runs the Honeycomb 3.0 which looks so smooth.

Congrats...?

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
unless you're pulling the dock out your a$$, it is just as inconvient to carry that thing around as it would be if you carried a whole laptop, in fact probably more because now you have to carry 2 things instead of one

the design is novel but it would be more useful if there were places you could go and dock your tablet rather than carry it around with you. at that point you might as well just carry a netbook with you and call it a day

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010

Are we supposed to care? I don't go on a LG forum to say I am buying. A Sony TV.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
the asus is the same weight as duct taping two macbook airs and an ipad together, with a 2 hour battery. sounds like a winner.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
And you just illustrated my point. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your point was that you are trolling on a board dedicated to users of a device you apparently hate because you have nothing better to waste your time on?

mkruck

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Your point was that you are trolling on a board dedicated to users of a device you apparently hate because you have nothing better to waste your time on?

Where did I say I hate the iPad? You have very poor reading comprehension. In fact, take a look at my signature.

So defensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.