Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
In my experience, every one of those programs provides sub-par artwork. Either it is dirty (review quotes etc.) or it isn't high enough quality.

True....that has happened on a rare occasion with me to, but, I'm on a 50" LCD and I gotta say, iFlicks is doing good.

I think the only issues have been with movies from like the 1930s or earlier. Usually foreign at that.

I'll be checking the site out for those at the very least.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Seeing as the URL for the redirected page has "suspended" in it, well it's obvious what has happened. As to exactly why though, considering Bluehost claim their hosting package provides "unlimited" data transfer, it would be feasible to assume the account's been suspended because of either unpaid bills or some sort of copyright infringement.

As for an alternative, the only other one I've found similar to it is http://valkae.blogspot.com, but it's in its infancy still and doesn't have too many tv shows/movies available. They accept uploads though like GVA. The only annoyance about Valkae I find is they cap the upload size to 1mb and require you to convert the image to reduce the filesize. Doing this invariably reduces the quality if you go about it the quick and easy way (by using MS Paint) so for movie artwork at least the quality is going to be less than that of GetVideoArtwork.

You stole my Yahoo! Answers answer. I demand credit.

RookieMan

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
West Coast
Not GetVideoArtwork.... nooooo

Seeing as the URL for the redirected page has "suspended" in it, well it's obvious what has happened. As to exactly why though, considering Bluehost claim their hosting package provides "unlimited" data transfer, it would be feasible to assume the account's been suspended because of either unpaid bills or some sort of copyright infringement.

As for an alternative, the only other one I've found similar to it is http://valkae.blogspot.com, but it's in its infancy still and doesn't have too many tv shows/movies available. They accept uploads though like GVA. The only annoyance about Valkae I find is they cap the upload size to 1mb and require you to convert the image to reduce the filesize. Doing this invariably reduces the quality if you go about it the quick and easy way (by using MS Paint) so for movie artwork at least the quality is going to be less than that of GetVideoArtwork.

GetVideoArtwork.com was so far beyond anything else I have used. I contacted the hosting company to see if the reason was the same as last time, hitting a maximum number of files I read. I was going to help pay the fees so as to not lose the site. I was told it was not a monetary issue. Therefore, sound like other troubles.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
I hope it doesn't stay down. I'd gladly pay a subscription for access.

PS: does anyone have the square artwork for How I Met Your Mother Season 5? Now that Josh's itunes Grabber is down as well, I can't rind it anywhere.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
While we wait for the site to come back online (hopefully), did anyone have a chance to grab a high-resolution cover for either Toy Story 3 or Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy? These were the last two HD encodes I completed after the site went missing again and I'd like to get better artwork for them.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Clarify something for me.....are you people manually adding artwork to your ripped files????

I wonder the same. Scrapers are awesome.

While we wait for the site to come back online (hopefully), did anyone have a chance to grab a high-resolution cover for either Toy Story 3 or Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy? These were the last two HD encodes I completed after the site went missing again and I'd like to get better artwork for them.

How high res do you need?
I use themoviedb.org
The posters are 1000x1500, and up to 2000x3000 in size.

Here's Toy Story 3
http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/10193/posters

Last edited:

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
How high res do you need?
I use themoviedb.org
The posters are 1000x1500, and up to 2000x3000 in size.

Here's Toy Story 3
http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/10193/posters

That site is great! Thanks!

Glad to see getvideoartwork isn't gone though.

I add minimal tagging to my movies and I do it all manually so I know what is tagged to them. I also select what artwork I want on them. I haven't been happy with scraper results in the past. Maybe I'm missing something though.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
What a good scraper? I have been okay doing it manually since having the move covers isn't that big of deal to me. If I could find a good automated way of doing though, that would be awesome.

That site is great! Thanks!
Glad to see getvideoartwork isn't gone though.
I add minimal tagging to my movies and I do it all manually so I know what is tagged to them. I also select what artwork I want on them. I haven't been happy with scraper results in the past. Maybe I'm missing something though.
It depends on your use, and how you name your files.
I use themoviedb.org for movies, and thetvdb.com for television.
My scraping method just updates my XBMC media library's database, not the individual files; thus leaving them nice and intact.
I think the way iTunes/ATV reads the info is from the file itself, so if you're really particular as to what meta info gets attached to your movies, I'd stick with manually entering that info.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
yay, its back up, and this time I am saving as many artwork covers as I can get (planning for the future).

Although it seems to be running very slow.

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
You gotta be kidding me.....

At this point I gotta imagine it's not a copyright issue, perhaps a bandwidth problem?

Hope it gets sorted out. I have to imagine that the traffic at this site is fairly high and the owner could work out an advertising deal with somebody to help offset the costs of increased bandwidth?

But I don't know anything about web based income so I likely speaking out of turn.

In any case looking forward for it to return.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
This is getting ridiculous. Not blaming the owner, but Bluehost. I'd be willing to donate a small amount of money to keep the site running, as I'm sure many others here would. If the mod who reads these forums reads this, please relay this to the owner, if it's a matter of bandwidth.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
This is getting ridiculous. Not blaming the owner, but Bluehost. I'd be willing to donate a small amount of money to keep the site running, as I'm sure many others here would. If the mod who reads these forums reads this, please relay this to the owner, if it's a matter of bandwidth.

I agree with you, that website provides a service that I have used, I currently use and will continue to use in the future, so I am all for donated some money if thats the issue.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
I suspect this is being caused by the Bluehost's policy towards "unlimited" bandwidth. They operate a fair use policy and have safe guards in place that'll evidently suspend a site if they consider it to be hogging resources, since it is a shared hosting platform.

I reckon the simple fact that when the site's been coming back online the flood of users going there after word spreads it is back has bumped up the bandwidth transfer for the site and triggered Bluehost's safeguards, automatically suspending the account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.