Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
How does the ghost armor feel compared to the naked glass? Or to other screen protectors? I love the idea of the Glas.t, but the combination of the price and thickness, and the installation have me leaning towards a non glass screen protector, but I want the smoothest glass feel while retaining full retina visual and protection.

Feels ok , you don't even know its there
Doesn't affect the retina

Zagg is much thicker then ghost

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Is this also wet apply like Zagg? Wet apply never do it for me, always can notice the orange peel effect.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Is this also wet apply like Zagg? Wet apply never do it for me, always can notice the orange peel effect.

The orange peel effect has nothing to do with whether it's a wet or dry application but rather the quality and material of the actual screen protectors. Zaggs in this case are really low quality screen protectors with significant orange peel. There are high quality wet apply protectors out there that doesn't cause orange peeling or rainbowing.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
The orange peel effect has nothing to do with whether it's a wet or dry application but rather the quality and material of the actual screen protectors. Zaggs in this case are really low quality screen protectors with significant orange peel. There are high quality wet apply protectors out there that doesn't cause orange peeling or rainbowing.

Is GA a high quality wet apply? There's a GA kiosk in the mall near me and don't mind paying for the shield + installation.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011

I tried various wet apply protectors(zagg, body guardz, one more i cant remember) and got orange peel effect with each, but not with dry apply, i just assumed it was exclusive to wet apply.

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
Picture of one piece Ghost Armor back - too much gap at edges

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the original three piece Ghost Armor and recently received the replacement one piece design. Now I wish I'd kept the three piece on as it fit better edge to edge. This one has too much of a gap on either side of the back.

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 167

nyisles84

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the original three piece Ghost Armor and recently received the replacement one piece design. Now I wish I'd kept the three piece on as it fit better edge to edge. This one has too much of a gap on either side of the back.

Hmmm. I was actually going to take mine back to the kiosk at my mall today to get the one piece applied to the back. After seeing that, I may just hang onto the 3 peice back until it needs to be replaced.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia

I ordered my GA from corporate and just got it professionally installed at the kiosk. The guy was like 'cool you got a 1 piece back'. My back fits very nicely.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Guys,

Just orders my Ghost Armor Full Body for my due to arrive soon iPhone 5! anyone gone or going with this product if not then what are you going with?

I have full body ghost armor on my iPhone 5. It's great stuff. it has been redesigned and it is now thinner clearer and easier to install. However I had the local mall kiosk guys put mine on for me. I am not using my phone without a case at the moment, I currently have it in the new style OtterBox to protect it from the harsh environment that I work in.

T

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I have full body ghost armor on my iPhone 5. It's great stuff. it has been redesigned and it is now thinner clearer and easier to install. However I had the local mall kiosk guys put mine on for me. I am not using my phone without a case at the moment, I currently have it in the new style OtterBox to protect it from the harsh environment that I work in.

T

Yea the redesign is just like Clear Coat.

Iphone 2.2

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010

3 piece FTW!! :)

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I just had my black iPhone 5 Ghost Armored at a local mall after reading about it on here. I really liked the look and feel of the iP5 and although I have a case that will arrive in a couple of weeks, I wanted something to protect against the scratches many posters have have complained about. I paid $45 for the full coverage version, and that included installation by the guy at the kiosk who sold me by showing me his GA'd black iP5.

The process took about ten minutes, including some time in a plexiglass-covered box that I guessed had some air circulation and perhaps temperature or humidity control. In any case, when he gave me back the phone, it looked pretty good, but there were some tiny bubbles still visible. I was assured these would disappear when the material "cured" over the next several hours, and I had to keep the phone in an open area during that time.

Despite my skepticism, all the bubbles disappeared, and now you have to look pretty closely to even be able to tell there is any covering at all. The texture of the material is less slippery than the naked phone, but pleasant, and the touch screen sensitivity is unaffected as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty confident that their material will prevent scratches, but obviously it can't offer much protection from impacts. Because the covering is thin enough, I think I can still use the case on order, but when I'm anyplace I think it's less likely to be damaged, I think I'll dispense with the case and enjoy using the phone as it was designed.

I can't compare this to any other similar product, because I've never used them, but I'm really happy with Ghost Armor.

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009

Thanks for posting. This confirms a couple of things for me. 1) That the single piece back piece I received is the same fit as yours. I was wondering if I got a bad cut and 2) Everyone has different impressions of what a good fit is. This looks just like mine and you say it fits nicely while I'm not happy with the gaps along the edges.

Maybe I'm being too anal about it, but I expect it to cover nearly completely top to bottom and edge to edge. The three piece I had on before receiving the one piece was a better fit IMHO.

Last edited:

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Thanks for posting. This confirms a couple of things for me. 1) That the single piece back piece I received is the same fit as yours. I was wondering if I got a bad cut and 2) Everyone has different impressions of what a good fit is. This looks just like mine and you say it fits nicely while I'm not happy with the gaps along the edges.

Maybe I'm being too anal about it, but I expect it to cover nearly completely top to bottom and edge to edge. The three piece I had on before receiving the one piece was a better fit IMHO.

I don't think you can prevent small gaps on edges.

Mine covers top to bottom completely. The small gap is case friendly.

jkfb123456

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I recently went to the mall kiosk and they told me that the clear back is now 1 piece, but the matte back is still 3 pieces. Can anyone confirm this? Does anymore have a 1 piece matte back?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
How about covering the bottom part where the speaker & charging port are

There's another skin protector company out there that has cut outs for that

Ghost armor rep can you do that too ?

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I tried various wet apply protectors(zagg, body guardz, one more i cant remember) and got orange peel effect with each, but not with dry apply, i just assumed it was exclusive to wet apply.

I can't even tell my Ghost Armor is on. There's no orange peel effect like Zagg.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Woah that's awful the exposed part is a scratch and scuff waiting to happen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.