"Ghost documents" taking away iCloud storage

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by schoibi, May 24, 2017.

1. schoibi macrumors newbie

Hi there

I am using iCloud to sync my stuff across four devices. Since I also use the iCloud Photo Library I have a 200GB storage plan. A few days ago I got a notice that my storage is almost full. However, all my stuff in iCloud sums up to only about 150GB. If a go to the iCloud tab on a Mac or iPhone I can see that there are some 47.7GB in "Documents" stored on iCloud even though my iCloud Drive Documents and Desktop folder is completely empty! Furthermore, if I show the detailed listing of the storage (see photo) I can see that the largest parts sum up to only those 150GB. How can this be? Please help me! Thanks a lot!

Best
    schoibi

Attached Files:

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Check the contents of your iCloud Drive at iCloud.com. There may be some rogue files in there.

3. schoibi thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is all those folders are empty :(! I guess there must be some hidden files. I checked with console that the hidden files with "." in this folder are not very large...

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

But did you actually check online? I would not assume your Mac is correct.

5. schoibi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i did, both documents and desktop are empty...

Attached Files:

6. schoibi thread starter macrumors newbie

I contacted iCloud Support and they could tell me it is reserved space that is not being used. They were then able to delete this reserved space and now 46GB have gone...

7. seaniepie macrumors newbie

How did you contact them? what number, email or method did you use?