Giant iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Southernboyj, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

This is just something that has always bugged me.
    How many of you have heard numerous people (many of which never used an iPad) disregard it immediately as a "Giant iPod Touch"?

While when you think about it, that is what it really is.
    However, the "Giant" part makes all the different.

A 5 inch laptop wouldn't be very useful, however a 13"+ laptop is perfectly useable. Size matters, the fact that it is so much bigger than the iPod touch makes it way more probable to use as a device for casual web browsing.

In short terms, I'm losing faith in society. Discuss.

2. Mshilling macrumors regular

??? My wife said it does not!!! I knew she was lying!!!

3. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

You sir, just made my night. I can sleep soundly tonight. :D

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Pfft, they, can call it whatever they want...doesn't change the fact that its a great device. I use my iPad more than any other Apple device I've ever owned. :D

5. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Well when the iPad was first announced this was rampant. The people mocking it seemed to outweigh those anticipating it 2:1.

Now its more like 1:20.

The wonders of a good product.

6. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Yeah, I loved my iPad. I use it more than my Mac for casual browsing.

Some people are so ignorant though, never even used a device... yet dismiss it as pointless.

7. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

To be fair, the same can be said about many people on this forum that blindly bash Android tablets/phones. I'm not saying one's better than the other, just that everyone makes blind judgements.

8. xak macrumors regular

that is basically what it is, save except for the 4g capabilities.

really, it IS the size that matters. i wouldn't even buy an ipad if somehow my iphone had a huge screen to use for web browsing, etc. perhaps if they had released a 4" iphone, and i was satisfied with holding and using that size, i wouldn't have bought the new ipad.

9. jc3 macrumors newbie

SMH people still stay that? I'm not going to lie, I used to hate on Apple products, but when I grew up and started having the option to buy any product I want my views of Apple changed. I LOVE my MacBook Pro! I LOVE my Galaxy Nexus! I liked my Xoom! and Hopefully I will love my iPad 3rd gen. People are always going to find something to say about a good product. I have always said haters are the first sign of success!:D

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

A pool is just a giant bathtub. You will get nothing new from a pool and simply waste your money if you already own a bathtub.

;)

11. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Um, technically it is a big screen iPod Touch. That is what made the iPad unique when it first launched. Apple put a big screen and a larger battery on top of their iPod Touch ciruits (figuritively). So, in a sense, Apple made a big screen PMP while PC manufacturers were trying to make a keyboardless laptop.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

The "iPad is just a big iPod Touch" quote is as dumb as "a 65in HDTV is just a big 22in TV" or "a 27in monitor is just a big 14in monitor". In some cases, size does matter [insert "that's what she said" joke here] and in the case of iPad, screen size is everything.

13. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

someone actually said this to me the other day, and my response was "i know, it's brilliant."

I like the pool metaphor too, i'll have to use that.

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I was coming in here to say the same thing. This is what I say to people when they hit me with the "giant ipod" line. they usually just sit there stunned and then walk away.

15. thefreeagent macrumors member

Okay, for one, I think most people who say that "it's just a giant iPod touch" have never used either an iPad OR an iPod touch. If the had, they'd realize that the comparison isn't really that useful (particularly inasmuch as the usability of the form factor, and 3G/4G options are concerned) but also that the iPod touch is an amazing little device.

When the first iPad was announced, I had still only owned an iPod touch up to that point (my oh my, how a couple of years does change everything!) and, if anything, that comment seemed like a significant point in the iPad's favor. Before my brother got his first generation iPad, he'd refer to his iPod touch as his "iPad nano", which I thought was excellent!

Regardless, the iPad is the device I've used more than any other, and far more often, of any that I have owned and currently own. I call it "iPrecious". :D

16. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Well it is a big iPod touch but that shouldn't take anything away from it, the bigger screen makes it more useful.

17. wc17 macrumors member

When the iPad came out I totally said the same thing!

You really don't know what you're missing till you actually use this thing!

18. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

That's genius. I'm gonna start telling people that after they ask why I bought a "giant iPod touch".

20. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

This is more accurately correct based on the fact that Apple was developing the iPad when they decided to put it on the shelf to release the iPhone (ie iPod Touch).

Plus this topic has been done to death by now. We had this discussion back when the first iPad came out, and then again when the 2nd did. Do we really have to talk about this every time a new iPad comes out?

21. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I LOVE the fact that the iPad is a big iPod Touch. That's why I bought it. I have an iPhone, but my fingers are often too big for the keyboard and my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I am glad to have this big screen. I have used my iPad a lot and always will.

22. sekazi macrumors 6502

When the iPad was first released that is exactly what it was. This was the initial reasoning I did not see a need to buy one since my iPod touch did the same thing.

After it matured for a year and the iPad 2 released I saw some useful things get release for example LogMeIn Ignition. But with my desktop being 1920x1200 and the iPad being 1024x768 I didnt want to deal with it.

The iPad 3 rumors start and it peaks my interests and when it was up for preorder I preordered the 64GB LTE because now we have Retina display, quad core graphics, 1GB RAM, iPhoto, Netflix, iCloud, iWork, LogMeIn Ignition, TomTom and so much more.

23. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

That bathtub analogy really is good. Anyone think of other similar scenario analogies?

24. gorskiegangsta, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

an ocean is just a big puddle
    a mansion is just a big shack
    the Titanic is just a big canoe
    a city is just a big village
    the Tyranosaurus Rex is just a big gecko
    an iceberg is just a big ice cube
    a citadel is just a big sandcastle
    a canyon is just a big wrinke
    etc..

25. Nuts4Apple, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Nuts4Apple macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Last year when I told a classmate that I was considering purchasing an iPad, her response was the same. While I'm not saying that's it's untrue (I haven't owned or played much with an iPad before and I only have an Ipod Touch right now) she doesn't own an iPod Touch or an iPad (she did have an iPhone though). She was somewhat discouraging me from getting it but I find it quite annoying when people speak definitively on things that they don't know about and then try to talk me out of getting it. Had this opinion come from someone who shared with me that they had at least played with it for a short time or owned it, I probably would have at least considered taking their opinion with a grain of salt. Although this doesn't apply to everyone, some people are just Apple haters (not so much in her case since she did own an iPhone) and sometimes others just don't want to see people get something that they can't afford.