Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Apple, the glass used for its new iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 devices is the most durable glass ever used in a smartphone, but that hasn't helped the device resist shattering in a series of drop tests.

SquareTrade, a company that provides extended warranties for electronic devices, conducted drop tests on the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and, for comparative purposes, the Galaxy Note 8, which also has a glass body.

Both of the iPhone 8 models and the Galaxy Note 8 shattered on all sides in every single drop test, including front and back drops at a distance of six feet, a 22-foot shot drop test, and a tumble test. Each test was conducted using the same equipment.

Ultimately, Square Trade gave the iPhone 8 a breakability score of 67, the iPhone 8 Plus a breakability score of 74, and the Galaxy Note 8 a breakability score of 80. At 67 and 74, iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are at "medium risk" of breakage from a drop, while the Galaxy Note 8 is at "high risk." The Galaxy Note 8 fared worse because it was non-functional after some of the tests, while the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus remained usable despite the broken glass.

iphone8breakability.jpg

YouTuber JerryRigEverything also did a drop test on the iPhone 8 in a case and without a case. It survived a drop from knee height and was okay after one fall from waist height because it landed on the aluminum frame, but the glass broke after a second waist-high drop. The iPhone 8 in a case unsurprisingly fared better.

Another YouTube drop test that compared the iPhone 8 Plus to the iPhone 7 Plus, and the iPhone 8 Plus shattered on the first drop. The iPhone 7 Plus survived a drop on its back, of course, as it has an aluminum body.

Drop tests are never scientific and are not a reliable measure of durability because of the many variables involved when a device is dropped, but it's clear that even with the most durable glass used in a smartphone, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are more prone to catastrophic breakage than previous-generation iPhones.

While both sides of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are now made of glass, the display and the body don't appear to share the same repair costs, so if you drop it on the wrong side, it's going to be an expensive fix.

With AppleCare+, Apple charges $29 for replacement for a broken display, but a broken glass body is subject to the $99 "other damage" repair fee rather than the screen replacement fee. Sans AppleCare+, a display repair for the iPhone 8 costs $149 and an "other damage" repair costs $349. iPhone 8 Plus repairs are even more expensive at $169 for the display and $399 for the body.

Apple is also charging more for its AppleCare+ plans this year, with AppleCare+ for iPhone 8 priced at $129 and AppleCare+ for iPhone 8 Plus priced at $149. AppleCare+ covers two incidents of accidental damage.

Article Link: Glass-Bodied iPhone 8 Shatters Repeatedly in Drop Tests

wkennedy74

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010

According to Apple, the glass used for its new iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 devices is the most durable glass ever used in a smartphone, but that hasn't helped the device resist shattering in a series of drop tests.

SquareTrade, a company that provides extended warranties for electronic devices, conducted drop tests on the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and, for comparative purposes, the Galaxy Note 8, which also has a glass body.

Both of the iPhone 8 models and the Galaxy Note 8 shattered on all sides in every single drop test, including front and back drops at a distance of six feet, a 22-foot shot drop test, and a tumble test. Each test was conducted using the same equipment.

Ultimately, Square Trade gave the iPhone 8 a breakability score of 67, the iPhone 8 Plus a breakability score of 74, and the Galaxy Note 8 a breakability score of 80. At 67 and 74, iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are at "medium risk" of breakage from a drop, while the Galaxy Note 8 is at "high risk." The Galaxy Note 8 fared worse because it was non-functional after some of the tests, while the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus remained usable despite the broken glass.

iphone8breakability.jpg

YouTuber JerryRigEverything also did a drop test on the iPhone 8 in a case and without a case. It survived a drop from knee height and was okay after one fall from waist height because it landed on the aluminum frame, but the glass broke after a second waist-high drop. The iPhone 8 in a case unsurprisingly fared better.

Another YouTube drop test that compared the iPhone 8 Plus to the iPhone 7 Plus, and the iPhone 8 Plus shattered on the first drop. The iPhone 7 Plus survived a drop on its back, of course, as it has an aluminum body.

Drop tests are never scientific and are not a reliable measure of durability because of the many variables involved when a device is dropped, but it's clear that even with the most durable glass used in a smartphone, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are more prone to catastrophic breakage than previous-generation iPhones.

While both sides of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are now made of glass, the display and the body don't appear to share the same repair costs, so if you drop it on the wrong side, it's going to be an expensive fix.

With AppleCare+, Apple charges $29 for replacement for a broken display, but a broken glass body is subject to the $99 "other damage" repair fee rather than the screen replacement fee. Sans AppleCare+, a display repair for the iPhone 8 costs $149 and an "other damage" repair costs $349. iPhone 8 Plus repairs are even more expensive at $169 for the display and $399 for the body.

Apple is also charging more for its AppleCare+ plans this year, with AppleCare+ for iPhone 8 priced at $129 and AppleCare+ for iPhone 8 Plus priced at $149. AppleCare+ covers two incidents of accidental damage.

Article Link: Glass-Bodied iPhone 8 Shatters Repeatedly in Drop Tests

In other news, water is wet....

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Well those people that would rather have a wireless experience than not worry about paying large amounts of money to get their phone repaired must be happy. But that’s not the majority of iPhone users. Having said that, the back should be fine with any case, and even a glass screen protector style cover.

Reactions: HVDynamo

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
might be the toughest glass ever, though they are the biggest phones ever. If you drop it, it will shatter. The aluminium 7 is much more durable. I am a huge fan of glass, like on the iPhone 4, though if you drop it, pay for a corner hit, otherwise it’s shatter city

Reactions: wyarp

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Who cares, really? I ALWAYS keep my phone in a case. The Apple leather one fits perfectly, looks great, and has saved my phone from ANY damage after about half a dozen drops onto concrete since I got the phone a year ago (and I'm careful with my devices, but s**t happens).

Yeah, carrying the phone "naked" may look and feel nice but the average person WILL break it at some point. It's inevitable. Just get a case and your phone will probably be fine.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Guessing X won’t be much better. Otterbox and other ruggedized case makers could have there best season ever. If I get an X it will be on my must-have list.

Yeah, I'll trust that glass breaks. I'm not clicking on these videos to give these idiots YouTube revenue.

Square trade is a warranty/insurance company. They have to do these tests to know what to charge to cover these devices. They aren’t mindlessly destroying.

ValhallaOutcast

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
only thing I gather is Apple Care + 1 screen replacement is more expensive than paying for the screen repair without apple care?

Reactions: psac

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
It performs as expected, being glass...

But watching their video and seeing their scores - how much did Samsung pay them? Both iphones performed extremely similarly/outperformed marginally the Note 8.

Edit: zoomed in on chart, lower is better. Phew!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.