Glass logo baffle "chin" cracked.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loco8, Apr 6, 2018.

1. loco8 macrumors newbie

loco8

So this happened.
    [​IMG]
    This is the crack next to the plastic piece that caused it because when I closed the laptop that thing was sitting there. It was obviously an accident but after doing some research I found out that Apple doesn't cover it as it is considered "accidental damage". The computer is 6 months old and it has already had some major reparis such as replacing the whole screen and the keyboard and touchbar. This is the worst macbook I've ever bought.

But anyway, I've found a repair guide (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replac...the+MacBook+Pro+15+"Touch+Bar+2017+logo/96767) and apparently you can buy this "chin" on ebay/aliexpress for about 10-20$. The thing is that I don't see myself capable of doing this without messing up or scratching the rest of the screen. Is it worth the try or should I leave it as it is now? Is there any chance that the crack will get bigger?

Has this happened to any of you? Any advice?

2. BLUEDOG314 macrumors 6502

BLUEDOG314

What is that plastic piece from that you said caused the issue? I totally get that it is the worst to have Macs fixed given the price, but I would say that Apple is right in considering it "accidental damage" if it was indeed an accident that caused damage?

3. loco8 thread starter macrumors newbie

loco8

I have no idea because I had never seen it before, I don't know where it came from or why was on my mac. Tomorrow I'll try contacting apple and if they can't fix it i'll try it for myself.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could be wrong but the display panel is laminated, so the glass, LCD and components are a single piece and apple may quote you an entire display panel

5. joefoong79 macrumors regular

Actually you can count yourself lucky, as that plastic piece go little bit higher it will crack your screen. Then is not about $10 or $20 to fix.

6. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

Apple can definitely fix this. However, this kind of damage would definitely be considered accidental, and wouldn't be covered under the warranty since it only covers defects.

You can try to repair it yourself, but you may be voiding the warranty since that part most likely isn't considered repairable on its own (as @maflynn suggests).

7. robvas macrumors 68030

Did you have an object there when you closed the lid? Ouch