Glass or plastic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monkey186, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Glass or plastic?

1. Glass

164 vote(s)
    78.8%
  2. Plastic

44 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. monkey186 macrumors member

What would you like in a new iphone (whenever it comes out), for it to be made of glass, as currently iphone 4, or of plastic as 3gs?Im not talking about the design, just the materials used.

Thought i would make a poll, because i'm getting tired of my all-glass iphone:) First days when i bought it i thought it made a good change, after owning plastic phones for so long (apart from the beautiful thin sony-ericsson w880 which was rubber/metal).

But now i think the iphone 4 is kind of heavy-ish, and obviously very fragile so i am constantly conscious of it. My previous plastic android fell and been thrown so many times, concrete and all, chips everywhere but they look more like a scars so add they charm, and the screen is intact. But there is no way i can do the same with iphone. I hate covers and shields so those are out of the question.

I think the reason i haven't dropped my iphone so far, not even once, is because im constantly aware that it is glass, but im getting tired of this awareness. I just want to treat it like a phone, toss it in the pocket and forget about it, if it falls out pick it up and toss it in the pocket again.

Anyways, i LOVE the iphone the screen is a beauty and the design too, but i would vote for something more durable for the next model. What about you?

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I would prefer the back to be made out of some metal. Then I wouldn't have to use a case and I wouldn't be so concerned about scratching up the glass back. And plastic is too cheap. My 3G cracked in a few places.

3. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Some pieces chipped of my 3G when it dropped on concrete, got a friend whos cracked..at the end of the day if you want a phone that can handle a few drops without a case iPhone is not that kind of Phone

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

And metal dents. So have cracked plastic, broken glass, or dented metal. Take your pick.

I prefer glass. :)

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Yep, I think I prefer glass. But whatever Apple use, im sure it will look fabulous.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Paper.

Oops, wrong thread.:)

I’d rather have something durable, so plastic for me.

7. monkey186 thread starter macrumors member

See I don't mind chips - my old android is chipped all over the place, but the screen is intact. And chips just make it look a cool i-have-seen-a-lot phone:)

Im not into reselling so if iphone 4 could handle chips it would be great. But the problem is instead of chipping it will crack, because its made of stupid glass.

But i do agree that plastic look cheap-ish, the iphone 4 is beautiful as it is now, and after 6 month of owning it and never using any kind of case or shield - it still looks like the day it came out of the box.

But then this is something i would compromise i think. I'd rather have cheaper looking but more durable iphone.

8. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Neither. I prefer the make of the original iPhone... that thing was a tank.

9. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I'd prefer a metal back, the glass scratches really easily and makes the phone seem fragile to me.

10. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

You need a 3rd choice: Transparent Aluminium. That has my vote.

11. Pink∆Floyd, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011

Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

OP add a third option for "liquid metal"

Now that would be really nice :D

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

plastic if it's between those 2.

however, if they made the back of the 3GS like this photo (matte plastic, or whatever the material), then i would have never bought the iPhone 4.

[​IMG]

13. monkey186 thread starter macrumors member

^^ Yeah matte plastic is very cool, especially if they make it rubberized (some sort of durable material that doesn't scratch very easily). I think it would look more "substantial" i.e. less cheap than gloss shiny plastic, and because of rubberized surface it won't slip out of hand easily.

Grrr dreams. Will see what the summer has to offer, if it has anything.

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

^^
    ^^
    Yeah, why must the iPhone be so damn shiny and slippery? My favorite case is a matt black one. The back of the iPhone 4/5 would look great matt black and non-shatter prone.

15. Mjmar macrumors 65816

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Aluminium. Plastic is ok but my 3GS has some scratches and cracks. Glass is the worst option in my opinion.

17. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Not glass, for sure. Something a bit tougher.

I'm one of the folks who takes good care of their iphone4, but accidentally dropped it (in a case) from about 15 inches. It hit concrete and shattered. Ridiculous. Apple store replaced it for free, thank God.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Quality plastic is better than metal or glass. Not all plastic is the same but if you use the good stuf, you will not find something that wear any better and looks good at the same time. Todays phones are blinged for our eyes but wear very poorly!

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

True, that soft-touch plastic HTC uses on the backs of their phones is actually very decent, I wouldnt mind something like that at all. I just think Apple would rather go for something shiny and not really care if it gets scratched down the line.

20. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

I've had my naked iPhone 4 since launch date

100% scratch free

For those of us responsible enough not to drop our phones, its the ideal material, easy to clean, optically clear, and very scratch resistant

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Unless you do not use your iPhone 4 there is NO WAY it does not have even some small scratches on it. Just setting it down on a table can scratch it. I use my phone too much to baby and use a Sedio case to give it some protection. This gorilla glass is really not that resistant to scratches:p

22. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I voted plastic because it's better than glass but I think metal would be better. But the best would be carbon fibre for black and texalium (Or somthing similar) for white. This would be best

23. monkey186 thread starter macrumors member

Fully agree with you regarding scratches, my phone was without case for almost half a year, i do use it A LOT as it is fantastic i literally have to stop myself picking it up every few minutes:) No scratches whatsoever, i haven't looked at it under microscope but somehow i doubt it would reveal much even if i did.

And i also have been pretty responsible with it, never a drop, never put together with keys etc. BUT! What prompted this thread is i found my old plastic android while cleaning out, and the moment i took it in my hand i just felt such an easy of mind - there is no need to worry about dropping it. WOW.

There are so many things in life i have to worry about, and in respect of which i have to be responsible, i guess the freaking phone is just one too much.