Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

165140-pudong_2_300.jpg

As noted by ifoAppleStore earlier today, Apple has begun removing the wraps from the cylindrical glass tower at its new retail store in the Pudong district of Shanghai. Like the company's flagship store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, the Pudong store is located below ground level and utilizes the glass tower as an iconic entryway with a glass stairway descending to the store below.

Flickr user Lesh51 has posted several photos from the site, including an interesting aerial view showing the glass tower rising out of a central plaza at the International Finance Center.

165139-pudong_1_500.jpg

The Pudong store is set to open this Saturday at 10:00 AM.

Article Link: Glass Tower on Apple's New Shanghai Store Revealed

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
SJs desire to have Apple be a cultural icon is getting a little bit excessive.

The primary objective should always be to focus on the product and the end user experience.

Comment

EnigMoiD

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Hehe... Pudong... glass tower... can't believe nobody's caught that yet.
Sorry.

But it looks really cool, really fits in with the surrounding buildings very well.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Very sleek!

Comment

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
It looks like a keyhole with the Apple store as the key.

Symbolism, perhaps?

Comment

crookedbill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
looks ridiculous and excessive to me. i live in washington dc and we reserve grandiose monuments like that for presidents and national heroes, not a consumer brand. fitting for a place like china though, i guess. gotta build something big to compete with the giant portraits of chairman mao.

Comment

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I lived down the street from the site of the IFC a few years ago, at Shimao Riviera Gardens. It was just finishing construction when I left.

I think it's ridiculous how much space is being devoted to that plaza & the Apple entrance, but that's Shanghai for you. Opulence.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.