Godzilla (2014)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rhett7660, May 17, 2014.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Anybody else catch this? Just got back myself and I freaking loved it. I won't mention any spoilers here, but man the build up is nice, the movie is pretty good when it comes to the pacing.

Solid B+/A- for this one. But then again I am a lush when it comes to giant monster movies.

My only real complaint was the Asian scientist.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't wait to see this. I'm hoping to go see it next weekend.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I passed on seeing this, but after your review, maybe I'll go see it next weekend.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Japanese fans think Godzilla is fat. :D I'm still debating whether I'll see this in the theater or wait for streaming.

5. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

He is definitely not your "A" typical Godzilla. He is big. Really big. And I could see how he could have a little "american' if you will on him. LOL.

The first time you hear him Roar and when you first see what he can do, it is pretty darn cool! Got a nice "ohhhh" and "ahhh's" from the crowd!

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

My brother drug me to Godzilla last night. I think the theater had the sound system cranked because it was LOUD!

The movie was good, though it's not really my kind of movie. Very predicable. But the SFX were wonderful. We saw it in 2D. Not sure what 3D could have added to it.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I watched it on the 3D IMAX because of the type of film this is. <spoilers begin>

Honestly I don't know what to think. The characters are uninteresting, especially the initial character deaths that power the film. The Japanese guy who walks around being Godzilla's fanboy adds nothing. I didn't care for the hero at all.

But the effects were really something else. The plasma attack is going down as the greatest marriage of audio and video I've ever witnessed. I'll preorder a normal or 4K bluray as soon as it's available just for that alone!

I didn't like the build up. I think it was a little too slow and not as haunting as it could have been. But it did grow on me. The day after watching it I wanted to see it again.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

$96 million first week-end. Shattered records.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I haven't seen the 2014 yet...but unless there's a guy in a rubber suit, it can't live up to the original.:(

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder if the new one's tail drags on the ground? ;)

11. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

This was my biggest complaint of the movie. I actually started to dislike this guy.

I agree, I think the only real character I actually liked was Brian C.'s and (spoiler) he is killed off pretty early in the film.

The sound and visuals are on my top five list! AWESOME to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me the build up was good. I had no issues with it, and I actually didn't mind the pacing. I felt once we did get to see the big guy in all his glory and hear is roar. It was pretty darn cool in my book. And once we got to see him light things up, loved it.

12. Huntn, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have not seen it yet. I paid somewhat spoiler wise for entering this discussion, ehh. :p One of the many things about the 1998 version is that I loved the buildup. :)

I have a hard time imaging this:​

[​IMG]

Being beaten by fatty :p:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I saw it. It was well crafted but it could have used more monster fight scenes. We were kind of robbed of the first encounter of godzilla and the bat creature as it cut to a tv news monitor. I was like "hey, gimme 30 seconds of that at least!" Overall B-

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think that's what Emmerich in general is good at; cracking build ups!

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

As a baseline, what did you think of Emmerich's 1998 Godzilla?

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Every character was a bit of a let down IMO. They were either uninteresting (everyone), killed off too soon (Heisenberg), blended into the background (the hero bomb chap) or offered nothing at all (the bomb guys family). You could remove people from this movie and it would be a bit more interesting.
    From the trailers and talk about it I thought it would have been a bit more like Cloverfield, where we follow a family around as the events unfold around them.

I love the roar too! Especially how "physical" it feels. The way it makes Godzilla's body ripple like it's being forced out was such an incredible touch.

Another thing I loved was the unhatched cocoon. The way the lights ran up it with that sound, and the overall shape of it was otherworldly creepy to me. Last time I saw something as brilliant as that was the scene in the 2005 King Kong film when the music fades out and they all get attacked in that canyon by the odd wildlife :).

17. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hated it. Horrible all the way around. There were a few funny parts. But overall I did not like it all.

For example the scene when we see the wave of godzilla coming up on the two fisherman, I liked that scene. Also the french men had a few good parts. But I did not like the creature design, I did not like the special effects of godzilla running through the streets being chased by the helicopters. And last but no least the horrible Velociraptor scene, for lack of a better term, through the garden.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I loved it and am not ashamed to say so. :) Mathew Broderick, Jean Reno, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer all interesting characters. Good buildup, great visuals, I really don't understand why people hated it.

19. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think you are one of the few people who liked the film. I saw it opening night at a sudo red-carpet event in Hollywood. There were a few of the "B" list actors and actresses in attendance and man the groans you could hear from the crowd.

There were a few funny parts, but the overall the film to me was absolutely horrible.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Absolutely horrible? I just have to accept I'm in the minority on this one. :p When I finally see the new one, I'll post again.

21. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yeah I know strong words. But I really did not like this one. Especially the way he looked and the god awful scene with the babies at the end. Ughhhh.

Please let me know what you think about the new one.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Will do! :) I admit there were some unrealistic aspects of the 1998 version, but because I'm so adaptable, I was able to suspend disbelief and go with it. ;) The visuals were supurb, taking the fishing boat down, crossing the highway merging from the water, picking up the truck, Frank Azaria nearly being stepped on, etc, etc. Ok, I realize I'm beating a dead horse, I'll stop. :)

23. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

LOL no worries. I too am able to suspend, but man, this one pushed me. I mean come on we are talking about a large lizard like creature attacking/running wild in a major US city! :D

Beating a dead horse.... All good. There were a few things I liked and mentioned them.

24. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Just saw it (finally), totally lived up to the hype and was thoroughly impressed by the plot and CGI.

25. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

It boggles my mind that people thought this was a good movie. It was perhaps one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. I was shaking my head in disbelief on every single scene in the movie. It was that bad.