Going from 500GB to 1TB in my Unibody MacBook!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chase R, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I posted this in the "Macbook/iBook" section, since technically I don't have a "Pro"... But since it's still an aluminum unibody, I figured I would post it over here too. This should also clear up any discrepancies about the taller 12.5mm HDDs (they fit in all Aluminum Unibody Macbooks/Pros).

I should also add that this drive is SILENT; doesn't make a peep! It also doesn't make any vibration whatsoever. I used to be able to feel a slight vibration on my left palm (w/ the 500GB drive), now I can't feel a thing.

HDD Specs: Western Digital WD10TPVT, 1TB, 5200 RPM, 8MB cache, 12.5mm height

The 1TB drive in all it's glory
    [​IMG]

9.5mm vs. 12.5mm
    [​IMG]

For those that said it couldn't be done...
    [​IMG]

Restoring from a Time Machine backup is amazing, I literally can't even tell I have a new HDD (other than the capacity increase). Everything is exactly the way it was on the old HDD.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xbench test:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: The following 8 posts are about this HDD, which I found out will not work. (Mods merged two threads and it go a little confusing).

2. Tweak3D macrumors regular

you cant use that drive in a laptop, do some googling and you will see it has a custom internal interface and firmware. No way to hook it up to your laptop other than USB.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

^^ That's what I've been hearing. The OEM drive is pretty scarce now too (did they stop production?).

If you're desperate for more space, you could spring for an OptiBay and have two drives.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, it won't work. If it would've worked, I would've gotten it already. You'll need to buy a barebone 1TB drive, which for some reason I can't find anywhere these days.

5. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

So even reformatting the drive to HFS+ won't get rid of WD's stupid built-in software? Nuts... guess I'll just have to wait till I can find a 1TB bare HDD.

6. Tweak3D macrumors regular

its not just the software. The plug you would need to physically plug it in to your mac does not exist. They replaced it to save money and keep the portal enclosure smaller.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There are threads on this but there's also some kid who wrote some open letter to WD about this matter and albeit stupid, it speaks to this issue. You may be able to format it but I think you'll find even adding some plug wouldn't work.

8. cube macrumors G5

Phew! I saw the external was quite cheaper than the internal and thought it would be a great deal!

9. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Oh ok, gotcha... Good thing Amazon has the OEM drive in stock so I just ordered that one, it was $20 more than the external drive though (weird). I also picked up one of WD's new 1TB "Green" drives for my Time Machine drive ($80).

10. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Installation of a 1TB drive... w/ pics!

Mod note: merged threads

11. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I would so love one of these in my Blackbook. Alas, I love my Seagate 500Gb/7200rpm.

13. gt40x4 macrumors member

gt40x4

14. Widdy macrumors newbie

Probably a silly question, but will a 1TB drive fit in a 13" MBP? And if so where is the cheapest place to buy a compatable drive online (I live in the UK)?

Is it as simple as switching the drives and installing OSX from the install discs?

Sorry for the basic-ness of my questions, I am moderatly new convert to the world of macs.

15. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Yes it will fit in your 13" MBP

I bought my drive off of Amazon because they had the lowest price, so I'm sure you can get it in the UK.

And yes, just insert the DVD, shut down your Mac, swap the HDDs, and boot from the DVD (hold down C while booting). Pretty straight-forward from there.

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

How much was it?

18. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

$200

19. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

20. bcrguy macrumors regular

21. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Thats a bit high. I ordered mine and paid $175 w/ shipping

22. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Outstanding pictures. I have heard great things about WD in terms of HDDs in the same way I have heard great things about Intel for SSDs.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, the price is quite fair. Could you let us know after you tested how the performance is, I would like one for my Macbook Pro but I'm concerned about the 5200 rpm rotational speed.

24. bcrguy macrumors regular

whats wrong with 5200??

you do realize that rpm stands for revolutions per minute, and that you pretty much stated the same thing twice..

25. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

That's pretty good. I should have spent a little more time searching for a lower price. Oh well, all said and done now!