Going on a hardcore fitness routine. Am I ready?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Vincezor, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Vincezor macrumors newbie

6 Months of training has passed, stopped wasting my time at the computer 24/7.
    Never trained so hard, 4 days a week. I wanna go hardcore now, is this workout routine a bit too hardcore atm?

http://sickshape.com/josef-rakichs-training-routine/

History's to be made!

2. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

That plan sucks man. Way too many sets, not enough time to recover.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

That routine is trash. You grow out of the gym not in it. Rest is just as important as lifting.

There are too many things wrong with that routine I don't even know where to begin. The splits are also silly. Nobody should have a biceps/triceps day. That is a wasted day. That routine would burn you out quick which would be more demotivating than anything. Just because a routine has overly excessive work volume does not make it hardcore, it makes it poorly thought out.

A simple routine consisting of mostly compound movements with accessory work in between to suit your style/needs should suffice as well as a proper diet should work well. Consistency is also vital.

You have any other routines in mind or were you set on this because some ripped guy is supposedly doing it? Do you know what Chris Hemsworth's magical routine was for bulking up for Thor? Compound lifts, food, and sleep. It doesn't take much to achieve great results. Squats, Deadlifts, etc. will kick your ass no matter how "hardcore" you are.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That routine looks pretty advanced. Regardless of what you've been doing for the last 6 months, I strongly doubt you are ready for this sort of routine. You wont last more than a few weeks at this rate, if that. I recommend a beginners routine like Starting Strength or StrongLifts. Either way, that routine will chew you up and spit you out.

5. Vincezor thread starter macrumors newbie

but ****, that's Josef Rakich's routine, that man is pretty heavy.

6. boss.king, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

And?

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If your goal is to be heavy, just eat more.

8. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Or shoot up.

9. Vincezor thread starter macrumors newbie

He's a living example of this routine's succesfulness

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'd bet you any amount of money that he started with a basic routine and went from there. In an interview he even says that this is his "current routine" ie this is not what he started out doing. Stop trying to be lazy and rush your progress, start with the basics like everyone else. Feel free to ignore the advice here but I guarantee you will hurt yourself and not make good progress.

11. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I think its a pretty intense program and almost anybody would get burned out trying to do that. It would take a crazy level of commitment just to finish one week. I'd maybe try for something a little more realistic unless you get paid to do it.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Have fun injuring yourself. Six months of training is not enough to prepare for that kind of regimen. What is wrong with with a healthy routine anyway? He does weights for five days straight yet doesn't mention any cardio days. Yes I'm aware that if you're going at a fast pace, your heart rate does go up quite a lot. Given that number of sets, he's probably rotating them pretty hard to get that workout in. You don't want to do hours of weightlifting given the increased cortisol levels associated with it. Also were you planning to take waking heart rates so that you know when to take it easy or take a day off?

Overall his workout plan seems pretty insane to me. He's not varying chest exercises from week to week to help with plateaus. He's just doing tons of them with five sets each, which is beyond the capability of a normal person. Rushing into that alone seems like a good way to end up with an injured rotator cuff, especially if your form isn't pristine. The chest and lats are synergetic. I personally go way lighter on each, but I do them on the same day. Lat exercises still put some stress on the opposing muscles, which should be resting on that second day imo. Third day he basically dedicated to arms. That's a little weird to me as it's placing one smaller muscle group that day, as if it somehow counts as a rest day by only working a smaller muscle group:p.

He is lining up a lot of days where muscle groups aren't getting adequate rest. Even on thursday and friday. The leg exercises such as squats use the abs synergetically. This means he's hitting them two days in a row given the oblique crunches and dragon flags on friday.

At the very least, you should consider a trainer to watch your form. Beyond that, he's buff but that means very little regarding what is more or less effective. There are many buff people in the world. Lots of them publish their workouts. They are not all this. They also don't do the same thing every week. They take weeks off for muscle recovery. They work in more cardio training and less weights on some weeks.

13. Vincezor thread starter macrumors newbie

You never know if you don't try. It sounds stubborn but I'm still considering of trying it, pretty positive about it. Currently my workout plan doesn't excite me at all.

14. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Stop complaining, Your personal health is more important.

If you aren't enjoying your routine, learn about working out and make your own. Don't copy pasta some random guys routine.

15. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm not saying don't push yourself but adopting a crazy routine that will burn you out or be more difficult than you can handle is going to lead to injuries, cheating, or worse. If you really want to push yourself get a trainer to yell at you or a do a few cross fit classes.

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

To answer the original question:

"If one must ask, then one is not ready" - Some Guy.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

My criteria is if I can't finish the workout in 30 mins, it's too intense for me and the cortisol will screw with my recovery. That workout is stacked and would take most people over an hour to finish - maybe 2 hours in a public gym

Also, if you're gonna do an all arm day, you should be alternating bicep/tricep/bicep/tricep. Not burning your peak strength on one muscle group. Same with quads/hams

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't know if stubborn is the word I'd use. Enjoy your injuries though, and best of luck to you when you start a proper routine.

19. Vincezor thread starter macrumors newbie

And how long have you been working out?

20. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I'm 33. On and off since I was 21

I also spent most of the first year with my body in a catabolic state from overtraining/lack of protein because I had no clue what I was doing

If you're gonna do that workout, watch the cortisol

21. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

This is gonna end well...

23. rei101 macrumors 6502a

As long you do not take ANYTHING to make muscle grow. I took some pills to accelerate the metabolism and I ended up with a huge depression and anxiety, lost my girlfriend, almost lost my job and took me already 8 months to recover. That how bad it is.

Not even protein milkshake.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I really, really hope you're joking.

25. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I took something called Oxy Elite Pro. Is to accelerate your metabolism, loose weight, reduce your appetite.

What is does is to accelerate your thyroid, the gland that controls your metabolism and several body functions.

What those pills (and many other substances like the 5 Hour Energy drink) is to cause hyperthyroidism. The hyperthyroidism causes anxiety (excess of energy), lack of concentration and depression.

I took the pills for 4 months thinking "I had it under control" and I was thinking my stress was work related as I work in a TV station.

I was not able to concentrate, I was loosing my nerves very easy and I was starting a relationship with a girl and we had huge fights. I even started to cry when I was at my studio and my supervisor was getting nuts because I was not achieving anything. And that was after stopping the pills a month before.

I realized I had a depression pattern, you have to add the crazy work environment I created and not the braking up with the girl.

I had to backed up everything. I stopped to even take the protein milkshakes. All that was September/ October. It was until February where I was more stable. My now, ex girlfriend contacted me again in February and on March I exploded again with a jealousy attack.

Right now I am feeling better, I am doing great at my job, still very calm and the girl is hiding from me. It took a long time to balanced my body again and I can sense it.

So... what ever you take, read the ingredients and do a research. Do not take anything to accelerate the metabolism. People do not noticed as I didn't but look at how they work and go to Wikipedia and look fro hyperthyroidism