Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Think An Apple Display is Worth It??

• Yes

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Other Opinion I wil leave in a comment

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
So Basically what advantage do you get with an Apple Display over anything else?

I can understand paying more for a mac because of OS, battery life, weight, backlit, aluminum build etc, but a display is a display.... Right? Obviously I will need a MDP to HDMI adapter but that is negligible.

Here is what I am seeing
a 24" LG
1920x1080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5134&cm_re=led_monitor-_-24-005-134-_-Product
LG-w2486l-LED-Monitor_11.jpg

or 24" Apple
1920x1200
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB382LL/A
Screenshot2010-05-17at122916PM.png

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would buy that HP, it's a real good display if it's the one I think it is. Is it the same panel though?

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
well i voted yes but now reading the poll "is it worth it" i would change my vote to no.

did you change the poll? when i took it it read would i "ever?" and i would if i won the lottery..

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
well i voted yes but now reading the poll "is it worth it" i would change my vote to no.

did you change the poll? when i took it it read would i "ever?" and i would if i won the lottery..

Actually the Poll question was "Do You Think An Apple Display is Worth It?"
But yes that was the thread title

Edit; no the poll has been the same the whole time

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
Actually the Poll question was "Do You Think An Apple Display is Worth It?"
But yes that was the thread title

well then the simple answer is no it is not worth the $900. and anyone would be hard pressed to make the slightest argument otherwise.

However, it looks absolutely fantastic and quality is top notch.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
but a display is a display.... Right?

You just linked an HP display with a TN panel, which is the absolute worst type of panel money can buy. You are comparing it to an ACD that has an H-IPS type panel, which is amongst the best that money can buy.

There is plenty of information out there about the various types of LCD panels, and their strengths and weaknesses. Granted the differences are more difficult to understand than backlight types, etc.. but it's not terribly complicated.

BTW I voted yes, as the 24" remains one of the most satisfying purchases I've ever made.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
You just linked an HP display with a TN panel, which is the absolute worst type of panel money can buy. You are comparing it to an ACD that has an H-IPS type panel, which is amongst the best that money can buy.

There is plenty of information out there about the various types of LCD panels, and their strengths and weaknesses. Granted the differences are more difficult to understand than backlight types, etc.. but it's not terribly complicated.

BTW I voted yes, as the 24" remains one of the most satisfying purchases I've ever made.

Where do you see the TN, says TFT?

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Is this a joke?
You're comparing a TN panel to a IPS Led panel (plus glass and aluminum build). (plus webcam, plus speakers, plus internal AC converter for charging your Apple laptops, plus USB Hub)

Try to shop for a 24" IPS Dell, while still cheaper than the ACD, it won't cost you 279$.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
well then the simple answer is no it is not worth the $900. and anyone would be hard pressed to make the slightest argument otherwise.

However, it looks absolutely fantastic and quality is top notch.

Really? Even for colour critical work? A 24" LED IPS Panel? Its not bad value for money. As others have pointed out, the HP one whilst a great price isn't the one to go for if your doing colour critical work. Simply, a TN panel can display around 16k colours, where as an IPS is 16 million.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
ok so maybe the HP I linked isn't the best.
Here I have changed the link to something else... see top of post
(1 sec)

It's LED..

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
dell now has the 27" ips panel thats found on the new imac... minus the LED backlighting. supposedly it doesnt suffer the yellow tinge either.

That is what i plan on going for eventually... just waiting for some dell sales to roll around.

There was a rumor that the next ACD was going to use the same panel as the current imac (which is the same as the dells) so at that point you would be comparing LED backlighting to CCFL backlighting. Assuming they resolved the yellow tinge issue, the LED backlighting would be better, though it all comes down to price.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
(1 sec)

It's LED..

It doesn't matter that it is LED if it is TN.

LED does not mean best. The wide gamut monitors I have seen are not LED.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
(1 sec)

It's LED..

LED is just the backlight.

That LG is STILL a TN.

A fair comparison is this Dell:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...8277&~ck=bn&~bk=gr:CategoryRec,g:NextStep,rk:

It's a IPS 24" like the ACD. (but not LED)

You save 400$, and you must thank the -100$ rebate. Otherwise, you save 300$. (not 600$+ like you implied in the first post)

If you choose the Dell over the ACD:

What you gain:
- a lot of video ports
- 300-400$

What you lose:
- LED backlight (CCFL will dim in a few years)
- f*cking better design
- good and durable materials/build (glass and aluminum)
- internal AC transfomer for charging your MacbookPro while attached
- iSight webcam
- speakers

Is that worth 300-400$? For a lot of people, yes. It's not like you buy a monitor every year.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Ok I guess my point here is, for 900 DOLLARS you can do much better than an ACD.

No, your point was not knowing the difference between TN and IPS :)

Add that annoying "ever?? EVER???? EVER?????" stuff and this make a wonderful example of:

Thread Fail.

:)

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
So let's sum up what we learnt today:

1) Fair price for a 24" IPS not-LED 1920x1200 monitor: 499$ to 599$

2) Price of the ACD: 899$

3) So the ACD costs 300$-400$ more than the average fair price

4) But for 300-400$ you get these pluses:

- LED backlight (CCFL will dim in a few years)
- f*cking better design
- good and durable materials/build (glass and aluminum)
- internal AC transfomer for charging your MacbookPro while attached
- integrated iSight webcam
- integrated speakers and mic

5) If all that stuff is worth 300$-400$ for you, take the ACD. If not, take something else. But no one has the right to "ever-ever-ever" anybody, 'cause the ACD is a meaningful choice too.

That's all folks.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The ACD has only a mini DisplayPort connector and no buttons. MASSIVE FAIL, no matter how good the image quality might be.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
The ACD has only a mini DisplayPort connector and no buttons. MASSIVE FAIL,

Not if you want to use it just with your Macs or recent PC. (mini-DP to regular DP is trivial to do, and some ATI cards even have mini-DP)

If you just need an external monitor for your Macs you don't care about not having Composite or HDMI. Maybe you care more about the aforementioned PLUSES.....

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
No, your point was not knowing the difference between TN and IPS :)

Add that annoying "ever?? EVER???? EVER?????" stuff and this make a wonderful example of:

Thread Fail.

:)
Yea bro, this thread sucks. You should leave it then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.