Going to Israel Soon. Questions about bringing my iPhone...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlphaDogg, Sep 20, 2011.

1. AlphaDogg, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I haven't been following the jailbreak scene. I stopped following after that hole in Apple's system that allowed people to (illegally?) "factory unlock" their devices. Has there been an iPhone 3GS unlock released lately? I am on iOS 5.0b7. I am going to Israel in just about 2 months and I am trying to get prepared now. I cannot afford the AT&T international plan. I DO NOT want to do the iPad bb "hack."

As a last resort, I can take my original iPhone, but it will be my only device (no computer) while I'm there (will be 6 weeks) and because it's a slow device and only supports iPhone OS 3.1.3, I would really prefer not to do so.

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

There is no current unlock for the 3Gs on iOS 5.. Or on any model past Beta 2.

3. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I was asking for an unlock, not a jailbreak. If absolutely necessary for an unlock, I will downgrade to iOS4.x.

4. Spectrum Abuser, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

And I told you there was no unlock. I said nothing about jailbreaking.

EDIT: And downgrading will do you absolutly nothing. Your baseband will still be the current iOS 5 baseband. I'd hate to say it but it looks like your iPhone 2G will be your new best friend for your entire stay. If I were you I'd make sure to stay in a hotel that had WiFi and you might be interested in downloading the Opera browser. It uses much less RAM and compresses all the data so that Edge loads things faster then it normally would. It's a free application so there is nothing to lose.

5. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's a school trip. I will be staying in an Israeli boarding school for those 6 weeks. I think there is wifi, but I don't know if it's strong enough for an iPhone to pick it up. I'd bring my old MacBook, but my Israeli friends tell me that the crime rate is high in Israel.

I guess iPhone 2G it is, then! There's a custom firmware that exists somewhere, which maximizes available ram by getting rid of things that are basically useless to most people. Anybody know what it's called?

6. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

http://www.whited00r.com/ maybe?

7. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Anybody know whether Cellcom or Orange is best? I'm looking into ordering an Orange prepaid SIM card, so I don't have to use my broken hebrew to buy one when I get to Israel.

I was looking at a website that sells Israeli prepaid sim cards. They have Cellcom and Orange. Orange is GSM 900 and Cellcom is GSM 1800. Which band is better? Anyone know?

8. TC25 macrumors 68020

You still are not following it. Try the iPhone Hacks forum.

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. :)

Really though, if you have a 3GS, you may be able to downgrade the baseband. I am not sure though because it depends on your current baseband etc.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Lower band = better, so in this case, Orange. It's better because it penetrates through infrastructure much better. Anyways, I've heard that Orange was better in Israel, so I'd go with that.

PM me some pics of Israel!! (last time you said you would take pictures of LA and you didn't :mad: - kidding with the smiley :) )

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You beat me to it! I love Whited00r. It works really well on my first gen iPod touch.

12. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I didn't really take many pics in LA... I'll be sure to PM you some pics when I get home in late December/early January. If you want random bike related pictures, let me know. I'll pm you with a link to my photobucket album..

Sorry for the threadjack... Looks like I'll be taking my iPhone 2G and putting WhiteD00r on it. I'll also be getting Orange because it's cheaper.

13. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Is there an unlock for 05.16.05 yet?

Also, I just received the Orange Israel SIM card.

I know, I know; pics or it didn't happen. Here's to all you naysayers!

Envelope with hebrew on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SIM card still attached to larger card:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

15. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The pictures were for you! :rolleyes:

16. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Going on Tuesday. I don't get back until a couple days before new years. I am going to bring both of my iPhones (because combined, I will have enough space for all of the movies I've been downloading... Not from iTunes:cool:). I have Season 1 and 2 of The Middle, Bad Teacher, Horrible Bosses, The Change-Up, Beginners, Crazy Stupid Love, and Water For Elephants. That comes out to around 20gb of movies and tv shows. I still have to encode both seasons of The Middle so iTunes can accept them.

I'm going for one last bike ride tomorrow, so I'll run the encoding while I'm on my ride. I'll probably have to let it run into Monday also.

17. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'd suggest updating to the final 5.0. Your beta may expire while you're there, rendering your phone unusable.

18. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Oh. I haven't updated my signature yet. I was running 5.0GM jail broken but now I'm running virgin 5.0.1

19. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Any apps you guys would recommend for Israel and/or the plane ride? Remember I have iPhone OS 3.1.3 and iOS 5.0.1 for frame of reference.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

21. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I meant like entertainment apps. I don't have a choice where to go; it's a school trip. But I do have a free weekend that I get to spend with a relative... It just so happens that this relative is also a writer for the Lonely Planet and has written at least one book about tourism in Israel.

22. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I just had a great idea. I'll bring my wireless keyboard with me. That way, I'll have a makeshift computer with me in Israel.

23. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I just got back from spending a week in Tel Aviv. Are you driving? Every Israeli seems to have only one driving mode, Kamikaze!

Have fun. Hopefully you are already used to a Kosher diet, because it came as a shock for me. When I got back this Friday, I loaded up on two pounds of bacon.

24. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Not driving. I keep kosher, so it shouldn't be a problem. My entire class does too, so that shouldn't be a problem either.