Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you sticking with your ATT Unlimited plan

• Yes

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Hey anyone in the same boat as me ? I really thought Verizon would be better but in the long run they are about the same and since i have ATT unlimited already im going to just stick with it. I Think that ATT may be a little ahead of Verizon in the Iphone game.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I have no issues with AT&T so I'm happy to stay with my unlimited data as long as I can.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
WTh....

If someone wanted use their iPhone on Verizon, they should have made a jump by now...

The phone has been out for more than 5 months.

ETF? That's just an excuse. iPhone 4 sells for 399-499 dollars easily on ebay.

AT&T's ETF is only 350 dollars and it gets prorated...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Hey anyone in the same boat as me ? I really thought Verizon would be better but in the long run they are about the same and since i have ATT unlimited already im going to just stick with it. I Think that ATT may be a little ahead of Verizon in the Iphone game.

If you have no issues with AT&T, then just keep it. In my opinion, the iPhone is superior when running on a GSM network compared to a CDMA network. I'm not arguing the pros and cons of each network, but rather the actual features on the iPhone and what is available on each network.

For example, you can't do voice+data on Verizon. Some phone preferences require a special code to be typed into the dialer on the CDMA iPhone while you can just toggle a switch on the AT&T iPhone under settings. Large text messages show up as one bubble with AT&T but on Verizon they get broken down into separate bubbles (though it depends which carrier the person you are texting has). Generally, AT&T speeds are faster than Verizon so if you are streaming a video/music, it will be faster (though webpages load just about equally on both networks due to Verizon's low latency).

And, well, if AT&T doesn't work well in your area, it's obviously better to get Verizon. I just said the above assuming both networks have equal coverage.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I have had relatively few issues with AT&T. Though I have to admit the day before yesterday when I was trying to call my mom, I did have it drop several times.

But that honestly is a big rarity for me, not sure what happened (I was at home and I usually have no issues).

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
As far as performance goes alot of it is a regional thing. I had AT&T iPhones for 3 years in Houston and dropped calls constantly, but held off on Verizon because of the lack of voice+data. I made the switch 3 months ago and never looked back. I miss voice+data, and very much dislike the way the Verizon phone handles multiple calls, but ive dropped one call in three months as opposed to 5+ a day with AT&T. Totally worth it for me, you just have to go with what works in your area.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Will not use AT&T once they push me off the unlimited

I recognize that even if I go to Verizon, I wont have unlimited either but I will NOT want to use At&t again

chr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
AT&T only charged me $110 or so for my ETF and I signed a new contract when I bought the iPhone 4--I'm not sure if it was a mistake on their part, but I'm certainly not complaining. Especially since I'm using a phone that actually works in more than half of the city I live in now.

Shears

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
I know that once in a great while you might use data and voice at the same time, but how often does that really come up when you are not near a PC or WiFi connection?

I'm in Northern California, I currently have ATT w/ unlimited data and I'm planning to go to Verizon because I'm just tired of the poor coverage or performance with ATT after having previously been a Verizon user for 11 prior to making the iPhone jump to ATT.

I'm blown away that people say they can get above (even well above) 1Mbps download on their ATT iphone. The highest I've ever gotten in the 2 years I've been with ATT is 0.8 Mbps, and the average is about 0.35 Mbps. I noticed latency is very high with ATT (often around 200-300ms). I was also tired of so many data dead spots in the downtown city where I work. I'd have 3 bars, but data would be a crawl or non-existent. Couldn't even send an email if I wanted. Because of my frustration with the ATT network, when I bought an iPad 2, I went with Verizon.

With my iPad 2, I have better signal strength, and I notice the latency is always below 100ms on it with Verizon. Doing a side-by-side Speed Test with the iphone (ATT) and ipad2 (Verizon), the ipad is either near or better in terms of download speeds. When loading webpages, ATT always hangs for a long time before ever getting the page to load up. Verizon is very quick at that.

So now I have a Verizon iPhone 4 coming in the mail with the unlimited plan, and I'm about to retire my ATT iPhone 3GS w/ unlimited. The ATT technology is better, but I'm not seeing the performance.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I know that once in a great while you might use data and voice at the same time, but how often does that really come up when you are not near a PC or WiFi connection?

I'm in Northern California, I currently have ATT w/ unlimited data and I'm planning to go to Verizon because I'm just tired of the poor coverage or performance with ATT after having previously been a Verizon user for 11 prior to making the iPhone jump to ATT.

I'm blown away that people say they can get above (even well above) 1Mbps download on their ATT iphone. The highest I've ever gotten in the 2 years I've been with ATT is 0.8 Mbps, and the average is about 0.35 Mbps. I noticed latency is very high with ATT (often around 200-300ms). I was also tired of so many data dead spots in the downtown city where I work. I'd have 3 bars, but data would be a crawl or non-existent. Couldn't even send an email if I wanted. Because of my frustration with the ATT network, when I bought an iPad 2, I went with Verizon.

With my iPad 2, I have better signal strength, and I notice the latency is always below 100ms on it with Verizon. Doing a side-by-side Speed Test with the iphone (ATT) and ipad2 (Verizon), the ipad is either near or better in terms of download speeds. When loading webpages, ATT always hangs for a long time before ever getting the page to load up. Verizon is very quick at that.

So now I have a Verizon iPhone 4 coming in the mail with the unlimited plan, and I'm about to retire my ATT iPhone 3GS w/ unlimited. The ATT technology is better, but I'm not seeing the performance.

So you are saying that... since you have bad AT&T download speed in your location, so it's bad in all locations?

I agree with you that in Northern California, that Verizon has better coverage. I go to San Francisco every year for a conference, and I mainly use my Verizon mifi since AT&T 3G isn't great there. I don't have issues with phone coverage there... at least not in the Moscone Center area. If I lived in San Francisco, I would do the same as you. I think people should determine what carrier to go with by what carrier gives you the best coverage for their location... so you are doing the right thing.

I'll be attending the Oracle World conference in October, which I look forward to every year. I really love the city. I know I'll be mainly using Verizon data there, so I hope there is good 4G LTE coverage.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia

That depends on LTE, VZW is ahead of AT&T in LTE and it's very possible that there can be an LTE iPhone.

I compared AT&T and VZW with the iPhone. In my region AT&T performs significantly better in data. As far as voice I would say they are equal. At my work VZW wanted my employers business and let a bunch of us test drive VZW devices. The VZW store let me trade my test driven device for an iPhone. I was able to test the iPhone on both networks. I was out of contract with 4 iph

----------

That depends on LTE, VZW is ahead of AT&T in LTE and it's very possible that there can be an LTE iPhone.

I compared AT&T and VZW with the iPhone. In my region AT&T performs significantly better in data. As far as voice I would say they are equal. At my work VZW wanted my employers business and let a bunch of us test drive VZW devices. The VZW store let me trade my test driven device for an iPhone. I was able to test the iPhone on both networks. I was out of contract with 4 iPhone 4 with AT&T cause I bought them privately.

The iPhone on AT&T performed better in my onion than the iPhone on VZW in the Philadelphia region hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.