Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k3vdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
I've been looking into Gold plating and have reached out to a few gold plating services however none have tried the processes on an Apple Watch Ultra.

Although plating onto a titanium surface is more than possible, they are unsure what type of titanium is used by Apple and whether it will gold plate.

I'm hoping that some experts have tried this or know if the plating process on Apple's 'aerospace-grade titanium' is even possible?

k3vdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
I'd de more worried about complete disassembly of the watch prior to the plating. If anything goes wrong, the warranty is most definitely voided by the modification..
Why would complete disassembly be required?
I've seen plenty of success when it comes to stainless-steel gold plating on previous model Apple Watches without taking the device apart.
Especially with the water resistance of the watch, I don't see how the gold electroplating solution would enter the watch far enough to damage the internal electronics.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Why would complete disassembly be required?
I've seen plenty of success when it comes to stainless-steel gold plating on previous model Apple Watches without taking the device apart.
Especially with the water resistance of the watch, I don't see how the gold electroplating solution would enter the watch far enough to damage the internal electronics.
I still think Apple would consider this sort of modification as something that would void the warranty.. Plenty of threads on this forum where water resistance failed and Apple wouldn't cover it under warranty. Those instances were with watches that weren't modified so with a watch that was plated, you most likely would have trouble getting it covered. If you do plate it and everything goes well, you'll definitely have a unique Ultra!

k3vdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
Thanks for the reply!
I understand the threat to the watch's warranty and I'm willing to take that risk, just want to know if the titanium material used by Apple will electroplate.
Been looking online for some cheaper damaged/unusable Watch Ultra's just to test the material, but haven't been able to find anything worthwhile, unfortunately.

k3vdon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2023
It seems to be possible, at least according to https://www.debillaslux.com/. Can send in your watch and they'll do it for around $500 (based on the comments in their video below). No disassembly required.

Thanks for linking the video!

I believe here, he is anodising the watch rather than actually gold plating it with real gold.
Anodizing is a process that thickens the natural oxide layer on a metal part's surface, giving it that golden look.

This initial oxide layer on the titanium watch is what I'm worried won't let the gold plating solution attach to the metal.
I've heard that a stainless steel activator and 18k gold strike may work to remove this layer and help the 24k gold solution adhere to the device during electroplating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.