Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmostoff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
Simulator Screen Shot Feb 6, 2016, 7.01.44 PM.png Simulator Screen Shot Feb 6, 2016, 7.01.47 PM.png Simulator Screen Shot Feb 6, 2016, 7.01.58 PM.png

Hello everyone! I just launched my first app on the app store and I'm excited to spread the word about it!

Gone So Far is an app that I created to help motivate myself to get outside and go for a walk more often. I found that even though I could look at my phone at the end of the day, just seeing the number of miles I had walked wasn't getting me as enthused as I had hoped. The solution that I came up with was to compare my distances to others. "Okay, so I walked about five and a half miles today... so that's like a fifth of a marathon!" This seemed to be working in the sense that it got me more excited about walking but I didn't want to have to have to always run these simple math problems in my head. So I got to work on an app that could do it for me at a glance.

The app relies on HealthKit on your iPhone to read how far you’ve been walking or running in that day. This means that it easily integrates with the motion processor in your phone as well as any fitness trackers you have that provide data to HealthKit, such as the Apple Watch. It then quickly does all the math for you and calculates your progress on goals that you set up! An important note that I’d like to point out is that none of your personal information is ever sent anywhere or even saved within the app. I built it to only read what it needs and when it needs it. The only things saved are your preferences and the goals that you add!

You can quickly and easily sort your goals by Name or Length and in ascending or descending order. You can switch between using Miles or Kilometers across the app on the fly. You can even change what time frame the app queries. Want to know how far you’ve walked today? Easy. How about this week? This month? The whole year? It’s just a couple taps to switch between these different time frames and the app will quickly adjust to your selection.

I’m really excited to get my first project out there for other people to use and I’m hoping that other people will find it helpful and motivating like I do. Feel free to send me any questions here. I also set up a twitter account @GoneSoFarApp that you can send any questions, feedback, or suggestions/requests. I hope you all enjoy and I look forward to hearing any feedback you might have! Thanks for reading!

Gone So Far ($0.99, iPhone) (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-store/id1080412492?pt=95945668&ct=macrumors&mt=8)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.