Gonna sell everything to save for a new MBP -- but which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMpathetic, Apr 6, 2009.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Hey everyone.

Long story short, I have this Hackintosh (in my sig). I love it and it's a very powerful computer, but the truth is I bought it on little more than a whim and when you're 15 and pretty much unable to work, that's a VERY big mistake.

What I really needed was a laptop to replace my beloved but beleaguered iBook G4.

Anyway, I think that what I'm going to do is sell everything, work all summer, and try to buy a MacBook Pro. I really want the 17" model because of its long battery life (verrry important for me), high-res screen (not really IMPORTANT, seeing as I'm not a designer, but still great) and size. Yes, size is a pro for me, strange as it may seem. I remember ever since I was 10 drooling over my dad's 17" Toshiba, one of the first laptops to imitate the Big Al.

The problem is, I don't know if I'm an idiot to spend a ton of time (and sweat and pain) trying to afford the creme de la creme at age 15, when I don't need it. I could pick a 15" up for $1000 less... :/

What do you guys think?

2. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Do you really wanna MBP? What would you really be doing on it to make such good use of it?

If I were you, since you're 15, I'd go for a little adventure.

I'm 18 and going to college next fall, and just going with the upper-end MB. I don't really need the power in a notebook. With some of that extra money (comparing to your case, close to $1200 difference between the 17" and the high end MB), that's GREAT for a Core i7 custom build desktop with a 22" monitor, backlit gaming keyboard, mouse, and logitec 5.1 surround sound!

So you'd have both. If you don't mind Windows, you could even install Hackintosh on the custom rig too. Just an idea. The MB would serve you plenty well on the portability side, with ALL the power in a custom build gaming/ video rendering/ PRO machine.

Just some more insight... I can't stand seeing myself doing ALL my pro work on a single notebook either. You'll save more money building a computer yourself and having a portable for stuff on the go. Heck, you could even make your custom rig an at-home server, so you can wirelessly keep track of everything between computers. It's quite difficult, but I have an old Pentium 4 doing that here. ;) It's AWESOME!

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

How about a 13" unibody macbook + 24" LED ACD?

Still cheaper while you get an even better display. :D

4. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, I have this enormous rig already running OS X< and I'm not sure I wanna go down that path again. I travel between my mom's and my dad's house a ton and that's why I wanna have a single powerful laptop, with a monitor and stuff at my tech-savvy dad's, but I can scoot it under the bed at mom's. :)

I don't really play games either.... :/

Eh.... I don't know, it'd probably be better to get a 28" Hanns_G and a 15". Or a refurb 17".

5. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

6. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Enlighten me.

7. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

So you are sold on the portable power? Alright.

Well with that then, time to see what you really want to do. What will you be doing on it anyways to fulfill all that power? Think if you are overestimating the power you need or what you will be doing.

Buying a Mac with that in mind is vital, because the difference in pricing for different models are vastly different. :)

8. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I have ap art time job writing for Low End Mac, may start learning Flash and web design, am on Faccebook all the time, use iTunes, download torrents, run Vista to play Need For Speed from time to time, and browse the Web. I know it's not terribly intensive, but I plan to keep it for at least three years and don't want to run into any slowdowns later on.

Also, I kinda think that the more grand a system you're saving for, the more motivated you are to reach your goal.

9. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I think you sound pretty motivated! :)

Well, go with what you feel is best. Just remember you're 15, and when you're ready for college, be aware you might want to consider a stronger machine by then. I didn't buy a laptop, and still haven't, for the longest time of envy and dreams of wanting one ever since I was a freshman in high school.

Just saying with this recession, a job might be harder later if anything happens. You might wanna consider a smaller budget and invest in a car or something too. I dunno.

10. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I've got a 1975 Town Car I'm restoring. :D

I've gone through 10 or 15 laptops in the past year and am trying to ensure this one will stick.

Any input from someone who owns the 17-incher?

11. plesset macrumors member

Work your tail off all summer. Blow the whole thing on the best MBP configuration you can get. You are 15. Don't let anyone tell you its not the responsible thing to do. The beauty of earning your own money is not having to answer to anyone. Spoil yourself every chance you can get.

12. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Thanks for that. :D

I've always been able to afford nice things because of how stingy I am.... but this one is going to take monumental effort.

It's time to go to the dump, find 10 computers, and sell htem for $50 each. :D

Back to the good old days.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

How about a 2.26GHz mac pro!

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't know... I can't tell you what to do with your cash, but you've already said you don't do anything terribly intensive and only plan on keeping it for three years.

Unless you plan on using some intensive apps or making money off your machine , perhaps using the pro apps or whatever else, it seems like the additional cost of the machine won't be justified by its usage. I would compare the 17" MBP to a Luxury SUV that you will only use to go to the local grocery store during the week and maybe drive it to the beach on the weekends, instead of long endurance trips (extra battery), hauling around extra gear (larger hd), holding extra passengers(fw800, expresscard) , off roading (proc. speed) etc etc.

Like someone else said, a Macbook and the 24" ACD would probably be a better buy. All the speed you're likely to use, with the screen real estate (although tethered) you desire.

No one can really argue with your decision, especially since you aren't going to purchase on credit, but its wise that you get the machine that you need, and perhaps save the money to buy a newer model in the future, or get goodies such as additional batteries, applecare, wireless kb/mouse , ACD etc etc.

15. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, I don't think it's that I will be doing anything a MB couldn't handle, but that could always change, couldn't it? I would hate to change computers to meet a need that could've been met when I bought the computer a year before.... you know?

I am actually really glad the battery life is that long. I often forget my charger when I go places and I use the computer on car rides and stuff. I also bring my laptop to school to "take notes".

If I were a robot who had no emotions I would go for the MB and monitor, but I don't know, my gut says the 17" is a better plan.

As for the Mac Pro, I already basically have one (see sig). I need portability.

16. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

A bit of friendly advice . . . At your age, I would save all of my hard earned dollars and not create any big ticket needs other than a good education.

17. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Um, why?

Not trying to be rude, I just don't understand why I would not buy anything and concentrate on education. I might have to kill someone if I did that. Honestly, I loathe education, school and anything related. Unless it's a topic I find at least mildly interesting, I couldn't possibly care less.

I figure I'll get into a decent college and that's that.

*shudder*

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i'm not going to lie to you. most of my friends are graphic designers and they use the 2.0GHz MacBook and 2 have the 2.4. only one of my friend's have the MBP and that's a 2.2GHz. she's my girlfriend haha

but

yea dude you don't need the MBP - heck i'd get along fine if my MacBook was running the processor from 2006 that's in my Mini.

truth be told not even graphic designers use all the power in their MacBooks.

if you really want a good computer. don't sell everything. just work hard. you can work hard in school, or you can work hard at work. i chose the latter.

and let me tell you working hard in school is the thing i wish i would have done more than anything. i graduated early and having to pay my way through college is tough. even at the crappy school i'm at now - 90$/credit hour is a lot. i paid $700+ for my last class.

this isn't what you will want to hear. and good luck on the MBP - but don't be upset if you can't afford it and have to settle with a UMB. there is nothing wrong with any MacBook - especially running anything later than a Core Solo

19. kp98072 macrumors member

I'd get what you want (MBP) because if you settle, you wont love it and you need to. Yes they are expensive BUT you only get a new computer every 4 years or so (most people). My motto is, there's always a way!
    I have the new uni 15" and love it! I had the MB for a week and hated it, to small of a screen for me! If you are into design you atleast want a 15", this one cost less and is very capable. Maybe try to get a refurbished one form the apple website, i believe they are 300-400 less!! (for the 15 that is).
    Not to give advise, but study hard, you'll need a good education and job if you like nicer thinks like the UBMBP 17" :))))

20. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

The point is to give advice, that's why I started this thread. :)

Thanks for your continued input and opinions, everybody.

The school part was basically a rant, I'm sorry. I really do need to buckle down and get A's my sophomore year, because when I graduate I want to start my own business, repairing computers, and possibly doing Web design/some other design work. (I haven't learned any of that stuff yet, all I can do is fix them now. ;))

I think that what I'll do is make a list of why I love this computer:

-- 17" 1920x1200 screen. The computer is still portable but it has enough pixels to be able to view web pages side by side!! I wish I could do this a lot with my iBook. Sometimes when I'm writing an ad I have to keep switching back and forth between windows, and it's really annoying. I can also have AIM going on the side, in addition to a full-size web page.

-- 2.66GHz processor. 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD. More than I'll need for the forseeable future.

-- Overall size. I like my computers to be substantial.

-- Battery life.

-- Switchable graphics. I do like to play Need for Speed from time to time. :D

My father, who I've convinced to switch to the Mac, is having the university buy him a 17" 2.93GHz MBP with 8GB RAM. When he gets it, I will of course be the person who teaches him how to use it and set it up, and this will give me real-world experience with the computer, so I can start saving up now and then make my decision on what to buy after he gets his.

Thoughts?

21. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

If you insist on a 17" I still say buy a refurb ($1900) or used off of craigs list even if it is a few years old it's still solid hardware.

I would also recommend the unibody MB ( refurb for $1100 at Apple ) or MBP if you really need the screen bigger on the laptop and an external monitor or HDMI adapter.

I would say that nothing will stick if you have been through 15 laptops in the past year and that buying one of the most expensive laptops available does not improve the odds that you will like it after all the others you have been through.

I like the idea that you are looking for quality, but price must always be a factor in buying, especially at 15 unless you have a trust fund to buy it for you.

22. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Trust fund.... I wish.

I think what I will probably do is get it sometime this summer when there are 17" unibodies on the refurb store for about $2000.

There HAS been one laptop that has stuck. It was my 1.33GHz iBook G4 which I got for $600 when I was 13, in June 2007. I still have it to this day. My sister uses it too, actually.

23. stevieapollo macrumors member

if you are the kinda guy that gets exited by computers i wouldn't totally rule out getting a 24" imac for power and a MB possibly a MBP on creigslist or refurb apple store. you can get them for dirt cheap 1000-1500 and often these computers are still under factory warranty!! the imac you can get clearance for 1399 at the apple store and even cheaper if you look around. The refurbished apple store is great!! And so is the student discount at the apple store you will save big on a great machine or possibly two.;) after almost spending 3200 on a 17 inch macbook pro i decided to exchange the machine and get more... 2 computer for the price of one. In the end i was very happy with my decision. i would play around with the idea a bit. just to keep your options open.

24. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I haven't made my decision yet, but I will say one thing: I am only allowed to have a laptop at Mom's house, which is where I spend 80% of my time and where most of my school work gets done. My Dad is more receptive to my computer hobby, and I have tons of random computer parts there, LCD monitors, and all sorts of accessories. (all paid for by me)

So, I think it makes more sense to have one computer for both houses, as I often start negotiations at mom's and seal the deal at Dad's. My mother will flat-out REFUSE to have an iMac at her house and I don't want to spend $1000+ on a computer that I will use less than 20% of the time.

Anyway, I checked and since my dad is a professor, I can get it for $2599. I think refurbs will be a lot cheaper though, and maybe I can get one on the Marketplace.

Later on, I may build a $500ish Hackintosh for a desktop, but that's not really what I need to do right now.

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

that isn't true - no one actually does graphic designing on the go. they do it at work or at their office at home with a monitor. it's preference. i prefer smaller a screen on the go!