Good article on iOS4 and it's many shortcomings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD914, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

My biggest gripe is also is iOS pi$$ poor notification system, as I'm sure many out there are not happy with it. Plus there are MANY valid points made, I hope someone in Cupertino is reading this.

***Fan Boys please don't get your panties up in a bunch*** :rolleyes:

From BGR

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/10/22/the-iphone-is-the-worst/

"Finally, my biggest complaint: Apple’s iPhone has the worst notification system known to man. It is, without question, abysmal.

iOS notifications are as disruptive as notifications on a mobile device can possibly be. A box pops up in the middle of the display, interrupts whatever might be taking place at the time, and prevents the user from doing anything else with the device until one of two things happens — the user must either interact with the notification (dismiss it or open the related app) or turn the display off and back on."

2. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Yep the notification system sucks, so does autocomplete/autocorrect. I also hate the inability to organize your photos on the phone. Why the hell is it still lacking mass storage device mode like my ipod has? A more functional home screen would be nice. And the way you have to turn on/off wifi, BT, GPS is retarded.

Also I kinda think Safari should have been updated to function better by now. It does not work as good as a desktop browser in all situations (and i'm not talking about flash content).

3. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

Mobile Safari at one point was the best mobile browser on any device. It no longer holds that title. Android mobile browsers have auto fit where zoom in and text re sizes to fit screen. I would like to see this feature come to mobile safari. It's pretty lame to have to swipe left and right to then down to read from iPhones browser.

4. Orion126 macrumors regular

Good article. People know what they're getting with an iPhone and for those that want more will jailbreak. I don't use my iPhone much as an actual phone and I enjoy taking on the fly pics. Yesterday I compared a side by side of an iPhone pic vs an Evo pic...iphone's was much nicer. I got what I wanted...a phone that works, looks great, plays Netflix movies, and has a great camera.

Too bad iPhone/Apple haters outnumber the people who like these products....every reply that offers a different viewpoint is seriously disliked. Reply's that say "meh. my droid kicks ass" is liked 1000 times.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The iPhone gives me what I want. Att just doesn't offer the iPhone.

Marc

6. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

If you use Youtube's mobile app, quality over 3G is much better. However, I agree with his complaint that many of the videos aren't iPhone compatible.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

"Inelegant" comes to mind with respect to the notification system...
    I miss the ability to edit the dictionary and add words.
    I miss the ability to customize my Text tones. Those last two were available on my crapola phones from long ago.
    +1 on the lack of photo organization.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

These all things that have pretty much been the same since 2007 when the iPhone 1st came out. Some things have improved while others haven't. We continue to complain to Apple and some complaints get heard while others continually fall on deaf ears. Point being, we all know what we're getting in to upon purchasing the iPhone 4 and there's a reason why we have options. I would love to see an overhaul to the notifications system.

9. WildGuess macrumors regular

"I miss the ability to edit the dictionary and add words".

I remember reading in this forum about a workaround. You add an additional keyboard (like Chinese-simplified), then you can add new words in both dictionaries.

10. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Android gets new YouTubes, Google Maps and Gmail app updates, while the ones on iOS remains unchanged since day 1. The new YouTube app was released a couple days ago and the UI was comepletely redesigned. It's much more useful than iPhone's youtube app. Google is decoupling its core apps so they get updates just like 3rd party apps. I don't see Apple provides updates for Maps or Mails anytime soon.

11. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Apple really needs to either buy or copy LockInfo. It's great for notifications and really show come standard on the phone.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Apple probably doesn't want 'user confusion'.

Example: If I drag & drop a PDF into my iPhone in USB Mass storage mode, I would expect it to be viewable on my iPhone (since my iPhone can view PDFs). But it won't be. The only way would to view that PDF is to drag & drop that PDF through iTunes to a PDF viewer app.

That's the best dumb Apple logic I could come up with. I'd love for the mass storage option.

13. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

The Youtube app on Android is amazing and with the same functionality as Youtube on a desktop. iPhone's web app streams nicely but thats it and cant compete with Androids Youtube app. Google is smart for breaking off their core apps to allow updates and this is something Apple might want to also do.

Google Maps on iOS? it's a joke. This is a good example how iOS development moves at a snails pace. Sure there are apps like Navigon, Garmin and Tom Tom but those are paid and pretty much do what Google Navigation does for free.

14. PeteLP macrumors regular

I was excited when I read that several months ago, and I tried it right away. It does allow you to edit a spelling dictionary, but unfortunately only the foreign language dictionary. The english spelling dictionary is still not editable in any way.

Anyone who has experienced otherwise, first hand, would make me VERY happy to be wrong.

As far as an editable spell check dictionary, what I really want, in ADDITION to being able to simply add words, is the ability to add EXCLUSIONS. So that words like NIT (instead of "not") and FIR (instead of "for") come up as MISSPELLED, provided that I had previously added them to my exclusion list. (Of course, this would not be necessary if the list of ALL properly spelled words were editable. I imagine that an editable list of ALL properly spelled words is pretty unlikely however.)

I'd also like to be able to add PRIORITY LISTS so that I can adds groups of words, in my preferred order, where the first word of any such user specified group would always be chosen by autocorrect instead of the others.

Pete

15. Orion126 macrumors regular

Well Google does own Youtube and Google Maps and Android! Shocker that they would get a better UI.

16. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

That's not the point. Apple is responsible for the iOS Youtube & Maps apps and they don't update them. I mean, were these iPhone apps updated at all since 2007?

17. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

Very minor and barley noticeable improvements at best with Google Maps as far as Youtube, welcome to 2007.

18. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I never understood why people hate the notification system. Id rather it pop up so I can read it right away then have it show some status message in the tool bar where I cant read it right away.

19. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

:rolleyes:

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Auto-Correct and the Voice Control are my only serious gripes, both of which could use much more user input. There should be a training mode for both.

Another thing which pisses me off is how iPhoto now opens every time you plug the phone in to Sync it, interrupting your workflow on the computer, even when there's no picture on the phone. I don't remember it doing that before.

21. JulianL macrumors 65816

It's very possible that Apple were starting to address the notification issue back in June last year with this: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/09/inventor-of-webos-banner-notification-system-returns-to-apple/

OK, just because that guy designed the PalmOS notification system doesn't necessarily mean that is what Apple hired him to do but it would make sense. If the speculation that he was bought in to revamp the notification system is true then I wouldn't have expected anything to make it into product yet but sometime in 2011 (iOS 5 to accompany a June 2011 iPhone launch?) would be a possibility.

It's a good article, I particularly agree with the complaints about auto-correction and the inability to easily toggle Bluetooth and WiFi without going through the settings app.

- Julian

22. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

+1 there. I miss having a dashboard I can see first thing. While I would love widgets on the home page or something, this would work for me.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Common complaint. Google "iphone iphoto disable"

24. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's perfect if you only get one text a day and disable push notifications. The terrible thing about iOS' notification system is that past notifications just disappear into thin air when you get a new notification. Horrible.

25. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Weird... I browse normally (not mobile) and I see everything without going left/right. I hold the phone horizontally. Also any attached pics on the page get resized and I don't need to scroll.