Good Evening Europe!!! Eurovision 2017

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SoggyCheese, May 8, 2017.

1. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere

Douze points Monsieur Charpentier, it's Eurovision Week!!!

So here we are, another year, another Eurovision. 2017's contest is coming to us all the way from Kiev (or Kyiv as the locals call it). As always, two semi finals on Tuesday and Thursday night, followed by the Grand Final this Saturday. The usual heady mix of heartfelt ballads, bubblegum synth pop, hard rock from the Eastern Bloc, something weird from Romania, and a British entry that gets no votes is to be expected. Who are we all voting for?

2. SoggyCheese thread starter macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

I take it you're all waiting for me to declare an allegiance then.:) :)

Easy. Italia!!!

YouTube clip of a rehearsal. This is pure happiness IMO, although the full version of the song actually has a serious message. Staging is perfect for one of the Big Five, who always have to try harder in the final as they don't get the semi-final exposure most entrants get. It has the tempo, dance moves the crowd can join in with, a light show that makes Austria's psychadelic entry last year look like a black and white film, and a gimmick. What more could you possibly want?

3. MLVC macrumors 6502

MLVC

I love Italy, the song is so much fun, yet there's a message (that will get lost on Eurovision though, since it's in Italian, most will just be wondering what the hell the dancing gorilla is about (not understanding it gets referred to in the lyrics). I also like France. Happy my country of the Netherlands reached the final, although the song is not really my thing, the girls sure can sing and it being dedicated to their mother dying of cancer sure adds to it).

But then again, the country I want to win, never does.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Bbbllllaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh.... This "Eurovision song contest" gets more and more similar to the other crappy talent/idol contests on tv for every year. Once upon a time it might have been interesting,but with all these amateurs,kiddies and others trying to become music stars,it's just pathetic.

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

6. SoggyCheese thread starter macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Having watched the second semi last night that Croatian entry is a work of genius. I actually sat watching it curled in a ball with a stupid grin on my face for the entire peformance. Jacques Houdek deserves to be a huge star :D

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

@SoggyCheese
    Soggy, and what's your opinion on the Hungarian performance?

8. SoggyCheese thread starter macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Hungary's singer Joci gets big plus points from me right from the start just by singing in his own language. The folk vibe plays well, he's got a good voice, and the song is also catchy whilst being sufficiently different to get noticed. Not sure what that milk churn is about though. Reminds me of the "national instrument nobody's ever heard of" joke from Love Love Peace Peace :D

I don't think it'll win, but it will be top 10, possibly top 5.

9. Ulenspiegel, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

He sings about his origins (gipsy), faith, trust and his guitar. It is a mixture of gipsy folk music with modern music.
    I don't think it'll win either, but still an interesting piece.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Across the pond, I'll vote for oblivious. ;) Is it broadcast here? Of note, I avoided American Idol like the plague. :)

11. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Forgive me people....you are seriously discussing this huge piece of garbage..........amazing :)

12. SoggyCheese thread starter macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

There's always one.....
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2017 ---
    This is WAY better than all the Simon Cowell related stuff. :D Not sure if the USA shows it, but you might be able to stream it live through the Eurovision app for iPad. Failing that, see if the official website (http://eurovision.tv) have a stream.

13. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I wasn't a fan of the semi finals but a lot of songs grew on me. I woke at 5am to watch live and will rewatch it at the normal telecast time tonight :D

14. Tech198, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G4

Good times :D

I like a few songs :

"City lights" Belgum.
    "Requiem" France
    "Occidentali's Kama'" Italy
    "Space" Montenegro
    "Hey Mamma" Moldona
    "Apollo" Switzerland
    "Gravity" Cyprus

Watched LIVE on SBS on-demand on Apple TV 4 :) I had no idea they broadcast it live.. I went to ondemand website just to see what time it would be on after. Then I went back and watched it from beginning on "Catch up"

Yes, I do watch for the songs I get on Apple music..

I wasn't not gonna watch this year, because the old music (2003 for example), was always good, but i was surprised i like this years one.

15. SoggyCheese thread starter macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Listening to the Bulgarian song right now. Thought that one would win TBH, but happy for Portugal. Thinking of making the trip to Lisbon for next year's contest. Should be easy enough to get a flight down from Barcelona.

Very good show. I thought the full on snog by the Belarusian brother and sister was a bit, shall we say, strange, but then maybe that's just a cultural difference :D And the horse up the ladder didn't improve with multiple viewings.

Pleasantly surprised also by how well Lucie Jones did for the UK. Very well staged, and she was note perfect. Well done her.

16. SoggyCheese thread starter macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

So, next year's Grand Final will be on May 12th 2018 at the MEO Arena in Lisbon. Semis on 8th and 10th.

(Hotel already booked. Just need to get the tickets now).