Good God the iPad 2 looks thin!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Was watching the Mail video in the Guided Tours and when the guy picks up the iPad and is holding it at the start of the video, it just looks insanely thin from the angle it's shot, almost like it's just a flat piece of glass.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Friday cannot come soon enough.

2. irishtike macrumors member

what i find funny is that apple claimed a completely new design and yet it seems very reminiscent of the ipod touch, all in all it is very thin

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I agree. What's funny is that there's a guy around here that likes to go on about how the iPad 2 looks thicker than the iPad 1. I'm sure he believes it, but I just don't see it...

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

What's funny is that i think the guy's legs are fake in the mail video. I think it's just a backdrop.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

It's a smidgen under .9 of a centimetre at its thickest point. The edges are tapered.

Process that for a second. Of course it is going to look thin!

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This guy?

8. AppleKash macrumors 6502

wow what a difference!?!

9. urkel, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Yes the iPad 2 looks incredibly thin....and I hope that Apple doesnt destroy the iPhone 5 with this ugly design.

The tapered edges are an optical trick they use on the Macbook Air, Touch and iPad but personally I hate it. I prefer the industrial design of the original iPad and the iPhone 4 with the square corners. Also, one thing I noticed on my iPod Touch is that the tapered edges make pressing those rocker and power buttons more difficult because they're more recessed to fit into the smooth lines. We'll see if the iPad suffers from that same "style over function" flaw.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I like how they've made it thinner but in the end, there's going to come a point where it's too thin and will cause for it to be too delicate. I for me the iPad1 that I'm using is fine and is pretty durable taking my abuse just fine.

11. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Something doesn't seem right, the picture makes it look at least half as thin (or more) but the specs say it's only 1/3rd thinner. Am I missing something? Maybe it's the different taper shape.
    I think it's a fancy marketing shot.

12. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

From the right angle, the iPad will look almost paper thin because of the tapered edge. They shot it in such a way that it looked this way, and it worked great! :)

13. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

The edges of the new iPad look pretty sharp. Perhaps a skilled ninja could use it as a murder weapon, then chat it up on facebook afterwards. :rolleyes:

14. iDabble macrumors regular

i agree, that picture makes it look like the ipad2 is only as thick as the curved back of the first ipad...there's no way that's true

15. JoelMarcey, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Interesting. Not a white nor a black bezel around the thin one ... unless that is a white bezel that looks a bit aluminum to me.

16. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

33% is deceiving. The difference will be much more noticeable as displayed in the video and pic.. I appreciate the reduced size, however am skeptical about the speaker placement. Why no mention of this in the keynote? Hopefully, it ouputs volume fine by the way it's curved.

17. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I tend to agree with this.

While the iPad 2 is desirable because of its new processor, the design of the physical unit itself is nothing special...in fact, the iPad 2 looks strikingly similar to a giant iPod Touch—not that there is anything wrong with that.

iPad 2 looks less physically durable that iPad 1, but this is pure speculation based on photos

I still want one, even though typing this message from iPad 1... :)

18. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

One thing to bear in mind is that the tapered edges serve a very important practical purpose on the iPad. If they reduced the thickness and left any significant vertical walls, the result would be to make it almost impossible to pick up the iPad from a flat surface, like a table, with one hand. Neither the iPod Touch nor the iPhone suffer from this, as you can grab both sides of either one of these with a single hand. But if you removed the tapered edges, your fingers would have nowhere to gain purchase when attempting to lift it off the table. You can try this with your iPad 1, just put it down face down and try to pick it up with one hand...

19. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I agree, I like the design of the iPad 1 a lot more visually.
    I'll gladly sacrifice that design for the thinness though

As far as the iphone/ipods go, I actually do like the curved back of my old ipod touch 2g a lot, looks great. But thats more of one curved surface rather than ipad 2's taper than flat.

Regardless, the iPad 2 still looks good and the thinness will probably be very impressive once I get a hold of it.

edit: nice point snowy, hadn't thought of that. I wonder if keeping the ipad 1s design but just thinning out the edge and taper a bit would have been possible.

20. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

^^DING DING DING

....and no matter how much thought youve put into this design....apple has put in MUCH more, and theres always a reason for their industrial designs, not just aesthetic

21. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Another side-by-side comparison in the engadget review. Not as dramatic as the first, but probably more realistic.

Attached Files:

22. Fireworld macrumors member

Whats funny is that I noticed how thin it was during that scene when I first watched it too. Just Apple being Apple. :apple:

23. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

5 o clock cant come soon enough. I'm actually excited.

24. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Why the sarcasm? I would say the difference is pretty dramatic. Anytime you're dealing with something that is just less than a cm think, a 33% size difference from the first version is pretty insane. When I heard during the keynote that it was thinner than the iPhone 4...a part of my brain exploded. It's very impressive what Apple does each year with new products.