Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Today I finally upgraded my Mac Mini to the new 2018 version. I have used a Mac Mini as entertainment center connected to my TV for years, and amongst other things, I run Kodi on it. I control Kodi, and the rest of my entertainment setup, using a Logitech Harmony remote... So, imagine my surprise when I realised that Apple, in their infinite wisdom, have removed the build-in IR in the Mac Mini...

So now I either accept, and control TV, Amp, BlueRay, and Cable, using my Harmony, AND Kodi on my Mac Mini using a keyboard... OR, I find a way to continue using my Harmoney on the Mac Mini. I guess I need an IR.

What are my options? I can’t find any USB IRs, and I do not belive that there is a way to get Harmony control into the Mac Mini except via IR. And if I find a USB IR, will it be supported in Mojave?

Please help!

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Today I finally upgraded my Mac Mini to the new 2018 version. I have used a Mac Mini as entertainment center connected to my TV for years, and amongst other things, I run Kodi on it. I control Kodi, and the rest of my entertainment setup, using a Logitech Harmony remote... So, imagine my surprise when I realised that Apple, in their infinite wisdom, have removed the build-in IR in the Mac Mini...

So now I either accept, and control TV, Amp, BlueRay, and Cable, using my Harmony, AND Kodi on my Mac Mini using a keyboard... OR, I find a way to continue using my Harmoney on the Mac Mini. I guess I need an IR.

What are my options? I can’t find any USB IRs, and I do not belive that there is a way to get Harmony control into the Mac Mini except via IR. And if I find a USB IR, will it be supported in Mojave?

Please help!

Would this be suitable?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Re...ie=UTF8&qid=1547294415&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+ir

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Thx. for the link...

I was hoping anyone had personal experience with any of these?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
iRemote works to control Kodi using my iPhone, and thanks for guiding me in the direction!

However, I am really looking for a way to control Kodi using the Logitech Harmony. My family are not IT savy, and they are just so used to controlling everything using just one remote. Also, I have "activities" set up in Harmony, so for instance when you press "Watch Kodi", it 1) turns on the Amp, setting the input to Mac Mini, 2) turns on the TV, setting the source to Mac Mini, 3) Turns on Kodi on the Mac Mini, and 4) controls Kodi.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have used Candelair in the past, with the build-in Apple IR in the 2010 Mac Mini, and it works great. Which IR did you use?

But, what I need now is a physical IR, to connect to my new Mac Mini (which unfortunately does not have a build-in IR). Preferably one I can connect via USB, and which will send the input on to Kodi...

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
What I meant to say is that if you go with a non-Apple IR receiver you may need Candelair to make it work properly.

CUDA_Switch

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
I have used Candelair in the past, with the build-in Apple IR in the 2010 Mac Mini, and it works great. Which IR did you use?

But, what I need now is a physical IR, to connect to my new Mac Mini (which unfortunately does not have a build-in IR). Preferably one I can connect via USB, and which will send the input on to Kodi...

In the past when I was using a Chromebox as a Kodi media center, I used https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb for IR. I set the device up on a Mac though, they have a nice app. This company is very Kodi and Logitech friendly, so it sounds like it's worth a look for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.