Goodbye Hummer!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stevento, Jun 22, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

For all the people who hate Hummers because they waste precious oil and are completely unnecessary and only serve to cater to one's ego, you'll be glad to know that there has been talk of General Motors throwing the brand in the trash.

Now there's proof of it as well.
    Hummer Dealers are downsizing employees and closing dealerships, and moving unsold Hummer inventory to other dealerships in their network.
    Looks like $4/gallon for gas finally caught up with the 10 mpg H2.

2. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

If you can afford a Hummer, you can afford the fuel in most cases. It is certainly the biggest version of the Family Truckster to come from a US company :)

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

If the factories and dealers wanted, they could keep all open, and simply retool the works to produce another car, one that is like a hybrid? hhmmm, sound like a good idea to me, and a win-win situation.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

First off, Hummer isn't going anywhere. GM is just considering( which is pretty much set in stone right now) selling Hummer. You will still see Hummers on the road. The H1 was already killed. Before GM even considered selling Hummer, they already slated the H2 to be killed. GM would of focused on the H3 and upcoming H4 to compete with Jeep.

Pontiac and GMC is on the chopping block though. One of those two brands might be killed off and Saturn being inserted into the BPG dealership channel to increase volume.

5. Queso macrumors G4

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope they kill off civilian Hummers. I'd be more for them if they had better MPG but they're just an absolute waste.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably the only way to make a Hummer less environmentally good dust-to-dust. Those batteries are sure bad for the planet, as is the extra vehicle weight...

8. David G. macrumors 65816

Why stop with the Hybrid? Why not make it fully electric?:D:rolleyes:

9. Queso macrumors G4

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

In that there are very few Hummers in the world I don't see why people hate on them so much. Yes, they waste gas, but the H2 has the same 6.0L V8 found in GMC Yukons, Chevy Suburbans, and Escaldes. I've seen MPG reports from 10-15mpg in the H2- so lets call it 13mpg, which is the same as the other listed cars. It's the same as any full size V8 SUV.

So I wouldn't be concerned with Humers that much, since not that many of them are sold. Think about all the soccer moms you see driving around there Yukons, Suburbans, Tahoes, and Escaldes. Oh yea, Land Rovers, Land Crusiers, Grand Cherokees with Hemis, and everything along those lines.

I honestly don't like Hummers. They are big, ugly, and cheaply made. Also the H2 is actually a horrible car off road since its based on a Tahoe frame. Personally I wouldn't mind if they kept selling the H1, the only real Hummer, and ditched the other garbage they've created.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The H2 is on a modified 2500 HD Suburban frame, FYI.

12. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

well theres a bad idea.

Lets take something thats bad for the environment and make it worse.
    (unless we are going completely nuclear with our power) (and can make electric engines that would power a Hummer for more than 5 min)

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They are a prestige/"look at me" vehicle. I've ridden in two and they are really uncomfortable, small cabin space, hard ride and have poor handling.

What kills me is I bet 95% never leave the road. If they did, I'd have more respect for the brand and its owner.

Hopefully Suburban is next. Then Expedition. Than Sequoia.

RIP.

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

People who drive Hummers are kind of like people who drive BMWs. They think they are better than you and can do whatever they please on the road.

Personally I don't care if the brand is killed off. I can only see good coming from it.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's the definitive "I have a small penis, so I need to buy a huge car to compensate" vehicle.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

So inversely using that logic, Mr. Bean is....... Popular with the ladies??;)

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I never understood that idea. When I see someone driving a Porsche or Ferrari or truck it doesn't occur to me that they are compensating for something. Those cars are wonderful pieces of machinery, if you've driven one you'd agree. I've driven a H2 off-road and the thing can drive over just about anything it was actually quite fun. However, in today's high gas price climate they probably should be EOL'd.

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Hey, my family needs the Suburban. We tow a horse trailer and take long family trips which we need its cargo capacity. Don't screw the people who actually needs the vehicles over because others buy it for a status symbol. I am tired of people wanting all SUV's killed because of the majority being dumb and buying things they don't need. People still need SUV's and trucks. Thankfully with the high gas prices the only people buying trucks and SUV's will be the ones that will need them

20. David G. macrumors 65816

Sarcasm detector transplant stat! Oh wait, what if you were being sarcastic too, then I would be wrong.:( NAH!!:D

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

all that would do is barely get it to "standard" gas mileage, a waste really

22. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

This thread has ridiculous commentary.

First I just want to say, those nickel-hydride batteries for electric cars… where do you think they get all that nickel? Answer: from the largest source of air pollution in North America, a nickel mine in Sudbury, Ontario. And it's not CO2 that mine ejects, its sulphur dioxide.

2008 Hummer 3s are more efficient at burning all the fuel/ air and therefore put out fewer emissions with a V8(Alpha edition) than a '99 Civic does with a 4 banger.

For the good of all: EVERY V8 TRUCK GETS 15mpg!!!
    Don't bag on Hummer for something every truck is!!!

In closing, I love my brand new H3 Alpha!! :p

Attached Files:

23. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

In the über-conservative enclave of Baton Rouge, the Hummer is still the status SUV and the clogged roads are crawling with them. I hope that $5/gallon fixes this problem since $4/gallon hasn't made a dent (probably because so many people work for oil companies here).

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Our (my) argument is not with you, or people with true needs.

I abhor the 100 lb Mom's, with no one in the beast but themselves. The same holds true for guys with low self-esteem.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

While that maybe, NC wants the Suburban kind of vehicle killed. AKA no longer on the market.......