Goodbye iPhone, my friend

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonicjay, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I bought a 1st gen phone last November and loved it despite it's shortcomings as a phone. I bought the 3G on launch day, and got one with no physical defects. Well, Saturday night, the iPhone decided to just stop being a phone; wifi worked, and all the other functions besides the phone worked, just no phone. I tried disabling 3G, tried rebooting, tried restoring without restoring my backup, you name it. No signal whatsoever. I called AT&T (this was about 10PM on Saturday), and they siad it might be the SIM or the phone, as there were no service issues in my area (the guy was very helpful, and really looked into it). I pulled my SIM, threw it in my 1st gen, reactivated, and was back online. It felt good to be back on my old phone again! Anyhow, with all the problems I've had (went through 3 or 4 1st gen phones, and was about to get my second 3G), along with the absolutely terrible call quality and SMS messages going missing for hours at a time (now, this may have been due to the radio dying in my 3G), not to mention the cluster that is 2.0.1, and all the other shortcomings (lack of MMS is very frustrating for me), I decided it was time to call it a day for the iPhone. I went to the Genuis Bar the next morning (my buddy is a Genuis there), and he swapped out both of my phones with nice shiny new ones to put on eBay, then drove over to the Verizon Store and got a nice new Curve. I've regretted leaving Verizon since I got the 1st iPhone, and it feels good to be back. Their service is just a lot better around here. The Curve is kinda neat, though I'm missing some of my iPhone features already. *sigh*

Someday, if they add the basic fatures it lacks (not likely), and get the OS stable again (likely) maybe I'll go back. But for now, I have something extremely reliable, and I can't describe what a relief that is after all the problems I settled with to have an iPhone. :(

2. adversecamber macrumors regular

I can't wait for the competition to catch-up so I can ditch my iPhone. It's so sluggish, it crashes, there so much you can't do on it like MMS and forwarding SMS (and, granted, so much that you can do on it, assuming it doesn't lock-up on you).

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What about the two year contract you signed with AT&T for the 3G?

4. Sonicjay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I'll be paying the ETF. The 3G phones are going for $650+ on eBay, so that more than covers my ETF, what I paid for the phone, and the cost of my new phone.

5. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

I understand how you feel, the past couple of weeks my iPhone has been getting on my nerves alot. poor call quality, crashes...the list goes on. I do still love the device, it just needs a few tweaks and improvements. :eek:

6. Sonicjay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I know.. I really do love the iPhone, but besides the software and call quality issues, I can barely hear the thing when I'm in my Jeep. I have to pull over to be able to hear the caller (which I suppose is safer, but a real P.I.T.A.). Aside from that, almost everybody I call/text is on Verizon, which was killing their minutes/txt plans (this is obviously has nothing to do with the iPhone, but definitley was a factor in my decision).

7. odp1979 macrumors member

odp1979

8. alFR macrumors 68020

That's evolution in action, right there.

9. Maui19 macrumors regular

I hear you and am in the same boat. We just upgraded to the 3G phones and they are clearly not ready for prime time. Yesterday I had my first experience in the 3G network area and the results were very very poor. Dropped calls, extremely sluggish data performance (far worse than my old iPhone on 3G)--you name it. The phone simply sucked. I knew before I got these that there were some teething pains with the 3G, but we decided to go ahead and upgrade now because the original phones were selling for a lot of $$ on eBay. (We got $700 for two used original iPhones.) Still, I am surprised at how poorly these perform. In addition to the probs above, I am also getting awful battery performance. Add to this the crappy ATT network performance and it has me wondering.

Personally, I think we'll see a fix in the next few weeks, but I know where the original guy is coming from.

10. Ori macrumors 6502

What a stupid thing to say. I think the OP has a real issue and it's obvious that he hasn't taken it lightly. I am a huge fan of the Iphone, but my patience is starting to wear thin. The bugs best be fixed soon, the the constant freezing on contacts and the constant dropped calls is a big problem for me.

I did get better results on the dropped calls when I changed network selection from Auto to 3G, but that got very annoying very quickly with those god awful error messages.

11. Sonicjay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

:rolleyes: I don't think you guys understand this thread; I love the iPhone, and yeah, I'm a bit of a fan boy, it's just not working out for me. I'm not bashing it, just laying out some of the problems I've had that have made it an unworkable device for me.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I will admit that the iPhone needs a pretty major update/fix in the near future. It works well for me (luckily?), but it's not the fastest thing in the world and it's missing that super-reliable vibe.

But ... do you not think a fix is coming? You think the iPhone is fubar'd in general?

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's nice to see level headed and mature posters on this board. Too many fanboys. Good luck with your new Curve!

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Hope you find one that works. There's a lot of junk out there and it's hard to find a phone that does everything well. :(

15. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

a somewhat fitting song

Lalalalalala...

Now the phone's lost everything to you
    You say you wanna try something new
    And it's breakin' my heart you're leavin'
    Baby, I'm grievin'
    But if you wanna leave, take good care
    Hope you get a phone with good software
    But then a lot of nice things turn bad out there

CHORUS:
    Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world
    It's hard to get by just upon a curve
    Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world
    and I'll always remember what you deserve, girl

You know I've seen a lot of what the phone can do
    And it's breakin' my heart in two
    Because I never wanna see you sad, girl
    Don't be a bad girl
    But if you wanna leave, take good care
    Hope you find another good phone out there
    But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware

-WILD WORLD
    --CAT STEVENS

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the OP is justified in leaving if he can't even make a basic phone call in his area without a drop or poor call quality. That's not asking much from a product with "phone" in its name.

I really don't understand irrational devotion to Apple products/and or hatred of people who point out valid flaws. They are just gadgets that are fun to discuss sometimes.

17. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

*shrug* people should pay for what they like.

I've had my orig. phone since the tuesday after launch and I haven't had any problems with it.

Oh sure maybe after a patch SMS isn't "snappy" enough for some people, but it works great and I haven't had any problems that would require taking it in to Apple or exchanging it.

But if you analyze your post you mention:

1. no MMS

never was a feature

2. Verizon has better service in your area

If that is important to you, then switching to begin with is questionable

3. Stability of OS

I don't have significant stability issues on my gen 1 phone. Is it perfect? No. But I am never prevented from doing something I need to do. At worst, it takes a few seconds to open something or an app crashes.

You are certainly entitled to whatever phone choice you like, but if you just take service and your mention of the lack of basic features, it looks a lot like you purchased the phone for what it might be rather than what it is.

Doing so is never a good recipe for customer satisfaction, as you have unfortunately learned first hand.

18. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

OP: you're not alone... i strongly considered returning my phone, but i knew i'd regret it later. holding out for 2.1..... sigh.......

19. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I sold my iPhone 3G to a co-worker a few days ago. I use my LG TU915 now, it's pretty solid, and gives me absolutely no problems. :)

20. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I feel bad for all those that sold their 2G iphones to upgrade to a phone that is been such a pain for most people.. but why didnt you just switch back to the 2G that you had already?? I still have my 2G, never got a 3G and i have had NO issues. Good calls and no crashes.. it seems 85% of the issues are with 3G users.

just a though.

21. blue2noise macrumors regular

Syd from Skins sang it much better ;)

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i can see your reason for leaving the iPhone
    but VERIZON?? SERIOUSLY??

you do realize that theres probably about 10 or so cool features on your new blackberry that verizon locks out by forcing their godawful software onto it?

just an example, razrs are capable of bluetooth file transfers. VERIZON razrs (the same phone, diffent software) aren't. Verizon locks it

23. odp1979 macrumors member

odp1979

More than likely the OP has a defective phone. Not all phones are perfect, or near perfect, but the iPhone comes close in my opinion.

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just get an unlocked Nokia E71-2 and call it a day. Or wait for the BB Bold.

I'm still keeping my iPhone 3g has an internet/wifi device. But until new software update is released to improve the RF issues of the iPhone 3g, it's staying at home. The Nokia E71-2 is an unbelievable thin smartphone with US 3g, WiFi, GPS, and VOIP.

25. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I don't get it isn't the iphone suppose to be running os x? os x is stable and my iphone isn't :confused: