Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
What about the two year contract you signed with AT&T for the 3G?

I bought an AT&T Tilt off ebay for cheap and swapped the sim. Despite what some people say, it works just fine. In fact, the 3G is, on average, about 10% faster on the Tilt plus it has wifi, a 3 mpixel camera, bluetooth that works with every device I own (the iPhone works with NONE of them. Not a single one. Not even Apple's own keyboard and mouse.) and I don't have to pay an ETF. If I actually get rid of the iPhone I'll change my data plan so as to not get screwed on that (the "iPhone data" is more expensive....a play on the old Suave comercial "Apple does a lot less for a lot more!"). But for now it's sitting in a desk drawer hoping for the day Apple releases something comparable to the big boys. Which is almost anyone else.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
.. why didnt you just switch back to the 2G that you had already?? ..

i can see your reason for leaving the iPhone
but VERIZON?? SERIOUSLY??

you do realize that theres probably about 10 or so cool features on your new blackberry that verizon locks out by forcing their godawful software onto it?

Well, I did, for a day. I really like the old iPhone, but some of the same problems still applied (can't hear it unless I'm somewhere really quiet, etc), but a big consideration was getting back on Verizon. They have always worked fantastic for me. I do realize they disable a lot of stuff, but it's mostly stuff I could care less about. Like I said, most of the people I call or text are Verizon, so the amount of messages and minutes I was going through was high, as was their's. Vzw to Vzw is free, so it cuts down usage a lot for me and my friends as well.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I don't understand how anyone can prefer any other phone over the iPhone.

If you have poor signal quality with at&t, I can understand, but every other phone is just so much worse in nearly every way than the iPhone. Nokia's battery life sucks and the Symbian OS sucks, and don't even get me started on windows mobile:rolleyes:

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA

you do realize that theres probably about 10 or so cool features on your new blackberry that verizon locks out by forcing their godawful software onto it?

just an example, razrs are capable of bluetooth file transfers. VERIZON razrs (the same phone, diffent software) aren't. Verizon locks it

and I also do not think that the VZW Razr's have a Speakerphone..do they?

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Good bye and good riddance.

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
I bought an AT&T Tilt off ebay for cheap and swapped the sim. Despite what some people say, it works just fine. In fact, the 3G is, on average, about 10% faster on the Tilt plus it has wifi, a 3 mpixel camera, bluetooth that works with every device I own (the iPhone works with NONE of them. Not a single one. Not even Apple's own keyboard and mouse.) and I don't have to pay an ETF. If I actually get rid of the iPhone I'll change my data plan so as to not get screwed on that (the "iPhone data" is more expensive....a play on the old Suave comercial "Apple does a lot less for a lot more!"). But for now it's sitting in a desk drawer hoping for the day Apple releases something comparable to the big boys. Which is almost anyone else.

haha what?

Ryanhdd

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I to know how the OP feels here also, I am sticking with the iphone hoping that it will be fixed, Yes its a great phone , but if it does not work as advertised (seen the commercials versus real time) Also it needs to be more stable, I respect it as a nice device but i feel its got a little way to go.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
AT&T is the problem for me, there is almost no EDGE available where I work (Jersey City). At home (central NJ) EDGE is tolerable but not great. Verizon is much better in my area for data. Call quality on Verizon is also better. Still, the coolness of the iPhone (apps, browser, iPod) make the suffering on AT&T still worth it.

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA

If you have poor signal quality with at&t, I can understand, but every other phone is just so much worse in nearly every way than the iPhone. Nokia's battery life sucks and the Symbian OS sucks, and don't even get me started on windows mobile:rolleyes:

Sorry, no. I have a Vodafone Blackberry 8800 and a Tilt right next to me along with the iPhone and the iPhone is, without debate, the least capable of the three. The iPhone has a browser, UI and potential going for it and Opera 9.5 is a damn close competitor to the browser. Apple wasn't first, they're not the best and since the other two aren't going to sit around waiting for Apple to catch up, I'd imagine the iPhone will be a smartphone for housewives for a long, long time. I suppose if you've been using the phones cellphone companies give away, the iPhone rules but put it against any established pda or smartphone and it leaves a lot to be desired. Battery life included.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Well, I did, for a day. I really like the old iPhone, but some of the same problems still applied (can't hear it unless I'm somewhere really quiet, etc), but a big consideration was getting back on Verizon. They have always worked fantastic for me. I do realize they disable a lot of stuff, but it's mostly stuff I could care less about. Like I said, most of the people I call or text are Verizon, so the amount of messages and minutes I was going through was high, as was their's. Vzw to Vzw is free, so it cuts down usage a lot for me and my friends as well.

It's kind of the opposite for me. I used to have Sprint, and when I switched to AT&T my minutes usage went WAY down. I never realized how many of my friends had AT&T... I would say 75% of my calls are free.

Take a look at this. These are some of my calls from August 1st.... look in the red box, if there is the letter M there, it means it was a free mobile-to-mobile call.

attcalls.jpg

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
All cell phones have some problems. I've owned quite a few of them over the years and none of them were flawless or even close to perfect. Including the first gen iPhone. Hopefully Apple will be able to fix the current iPhone problems with a software update.

trunkster

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Hope you have better luck with Verizon. At my house, Verizon phones get about 1 bar signal so AT&T/T-mobile is really the only choice. The Cingular store was very kind to let me borrow a phone before switching from Verizon and was very impress by the signal quality. It's been 4 years since I've switched, and Verizon signal has still not improved. So I take it they really doesn't want to invest in my area.

Anyway, I made a promise with myself that if the new iPhone was only 3G and GPS, then I wouldn't get it. Since then, I have been very happy with my first-gen iPhone with the Appstore. The Appstore to me is really the big deal out of the whole 3G iPhone launch.

I still don't understand people's need for MMS. MMS is really a gimmick, you should be trying to get your friend's to switch to using e-mail to send pictures. That way you don't have to be on your phone to receive the pictures. Lots of people even complain about not knowing how to get their pictures off their phone, it would be easily solved by dropping MMS which will happen. The iPhone is the first step in this process.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Sorry, no. I have a Vodafone Blackberry 8800 and a Tilt right next to me along with the iPhone and the iPhone is, without debate, the least capable of the three. The iPhone has a browser, UI and potential going for it and Opera 9.5 is a damn close competitor to the browser. Apple wasn't first, they're not the best and since the other two aren't going to sit around waiting for Apple to catch up, I'd imagine the iPhone will be a smartphone for housewives for a long, long time. I suppose if you've been using the phones cellphone companies give away, the iPhone rules but put it against any established pda or smartphone and it leaves a lot to be desired. Battery life included.

Ok. I just don't feel like wasting hours of my life trying to figure out how to use that crackberry first;)

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
Ok. I just don't feel like wasting hours of my life trying to figure out how to use that crackberry first;)

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I had an att tilt before the iphone. The tilt was waaaaaaay more laggy and slow than the iphone. Just sliding out the keyboard to type a text message took about 4 seconds to switch orientation. The 3g wasnt as fast and the internet pages were mobile versions and pretty much were crap. Windows mobile just blows. The keyboard lag was terrible. I would type and it would lag back like two full words. Its big and bulky. The cam wasnt much better although it did have video recording.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
I was hoping to keep it, but...

I was sure I resolved all 3G connectivity issues to internet with replacement of the sim card. But today I got 3 dropped calls when talking with ATT on 611. So I have 4 dropped calls out of 5 total. All occurring during conversation with ATT customer support. What does it mean? Well all 4 drops happened when calling a land line, so there is no way that land line had an issue, it was always on my side of connection. For these, I will return it next week, before my return period expires. I would wait until 3G issues are resolved for sure. There is no benefit in sticking with this wreck right now.

I have a Verizon and it dropped a few of my calls, but not that often.

Good Luck with yours...

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Although I have not given up the iPhone yet, I may be on the fence. After reviewing what I have had to give up since getting the iPhone last month, not exactly sure it was worth it. I love the phone and there have been a few things that I really enjoy. But today I was thinking about different things and what I missed from the other phones/platforms was apparent.
On the palm I had a program called DayNotez, which was great for keeping a daily diary or notes. Nothing comes close on either the iPhone or Windows Smartphone
On the palm I had a program called Bonzai which was a great project manager. Nothing on the iPhone, on Windows Mobile I had the same basic functions when I synced with Outlook with Plan Plus v5.0 from Franklin Covey.
When I sync with Outlook on either the palm or windows, it is with 1 calendar. Each item is able to be color coded in the calendar by category. On iPhone I have to have a different calendar just to get a color coding in the calendar, and it's limited to 5 colors. When it syncs to Outlook I lose all the color coding and several calendars of various colors (which I can't control) pop up and the colors are so faint that I can barely tell where I have appointments since the color is only the outline, everything else is white.
So far, when there is a firmware update (2.01) it bricked my iPhone and after almost 20 hours of trying to get it back I ended up going to the Apple Store to have them download the update and get the phone working. In order for me to get to the Apple Store, I had to miss a half day’s work, not very good. Now 2.02 is out and I am hesitant to even try and download an update. On top of all that, whenever an application is updated, the old one, and ll it’s data need to be deleted. Some programs don’t have syncable alternatives on the desktop or web to sync your data to, so all that data is lost. On other platforms, data is usually stored in a file that the new version can access and therefore the application updates are seamless.
Since getting the iPhone I have had to:
Give up using a diary on my phone.
Give up using a project planner
Give up opening, editing Word, Excel and PowerPoint files
The iPhone does not have a task manager like Palm or Windows platforms built in that syncs with Outlook.
Rearrange the way I use my calendars. Now I have 5 separate calendars instead of one.
Stop using the Plan Plus add-in for Outlook, because the iPhone and Mobile Me cannot sync with it still activated.
Find a round-about way to use tasks on my iPhone rather than a direct sync with Outlook I have to use a make shift thing that will sync, like Mobile Me to a website (Toodledo)and then sync with Outlook, via another tool. It’s working so far, but seems like more work than it used to be, or should be for that matter. The iPhone should have tasks with sync built in. .
A back up of my Palm or Blackjack using their respective sync tools took a matter of minutes and sometimes seconds. iTunes backing up my iPhone can take up to 50 minutes so far. I guess a benefit of using Mobile Me and the Toodledo website for tasks is that they can sync my iPhone without my having to plug into iTunes. I used to connect the palm and then Blackjack 2 in everyday to charge/sync backup. Now I use the power cord and dock to charge, sync over the air and due to the time it takes to backup only do so on either my days off when I have the extra time, or when I will be free for several hours at home.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
I love my phone. I think I hate the battery life the most, but for all that you can do, I can deal with that. I don't love paying 30 dollars a month for the internet and data but I do love the feature so much that it doesn't matter.

The OP has his own reasons for not working with it. That's cool.

It's a great device but obviously not for everyone.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I have loved the iPhone since June 29, 2007, but ever since I got my iPhone 3G I have been nothing but frustrated.

I get poor 3G reception in my area and NYC. The phone crashes often, I often get dropped to Edge even when in prominant 3G areas.

I don't care about what the phone lacks, I just want what it does have to work.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
i dont blame you at all congrats that your happy this is just a sorry excuse for a phone my dad keeps defending apple that it takes time for what landscape more for sms? voice dialing? mms? every phone in the world can do this now except for the iphone and bluetooth file transfers jesus. But then again the iphone has everything made for the average human being to make it as simple as possible :/ and the spotty 3g eh i really want to see the bold plus unlocking too is a pain the in rear for this phone :(

APainInTheApple

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Chicago, IL

Unfortunately it is stability and reliability that are the Achilles' heel of the iPhone right now. Even when it comes to simply making and receiving calls.

I switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone and even in the Chicago area, I have never encountered so many dropped calls that I have in the last few weeks as compared to my previous two years with Verizon.

That being said, my iPhone does things my old Blackberry could only dream of (save for its reliability). So, I am sticking the iPhone and hoping that Apple will come through and fix some of these core issues.

yode

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles

just an example, razrs are capable of bluetooth file transfers. VERIZON razrs (the same phone, diffent software) aren't. Verizon locks it

you do realize that verizon only puts their 'godawful' software on their dumb phones? so ALL Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Palm devices have THEIR OWN OS. I'm sick of people hating on verizon because of them putting their own proprietary ui on their phones. (I am on AT&T now btw)

APainInTheApple

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
you do realize that verizon only puts their 'godawful' software on their dumb phones? so ALL Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Palm devices have THEIR OWN OS. I'm sick of people hating on verizon because of them putting their own proprietary ui on their phones. (I am on AT&T now btw)

When I was on Verizon, I hated their interface as well as their purposeful crippling of Bluetooth File transfer (since they wanted you to use their paid messaging plans).

But on the flip side, I am missing my rock solid phone calls. I've had so many dropped or failed calls on my iPhone in the last four weeks compared to my two years with Verizon. Thankfully I don't rely on my phone for business use so I'm going to weather the storm and see what solutions Apple comes up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.