Goodbye, MacRumors site

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by network23, Apr 18, 2011.

1. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

I'll most likely still visit the forums here, but until MacRumors removes the highly invasive and user-hostile ads from their site, I will be removing my bookmarks and will refuse to visit the site. Ads that expand to cover content are nearly the worst form of advertising on the web.

Worse than that are ads and/or sites that force audio on users without warning. MacRumors had an ad over the weekend that opened and started running audio. Luckily I was not in a work environment or other situation where noise would have been inappropriate.

A basic rule of usability is to not force video and/or audio on users unless they specifically enable it (on a case by case situation). This means any and all content with audio or video should have a clearly identified button to start the media.

It's a shame. For the past 10 years (at least), MacRumors was one of a set of sites I loaded every morning. It was even the first site I viewed. Sad to say that will no longer be the case. Luckily there are many other rumor sites available. Hopefully MacRumors will come to its senses and remove these invasive ads and show its users they care about usability. Now I just hope they don't move those kinds of ads to the forums.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or Become a Demi

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please spare me your public proclamations. You've been a member here since 2002 and you don't know how to report an inappropriate ad? Hint: look at the threads immediately below this in the sub-forum. :rolleyes:

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

All you need to do is ask.

arn

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Some people like to turn on the dramatics a little bit every now and then.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

7. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

Why should I have to report an inappropriate ad? I would think (and hope!) that ads running on a website would have been viewed and approved by the site owners. If I see an ad on a site such as this, I'm led to believe that it's message and delivery method has been approved and encouraged by the site.

Dramatics? I thought I was making a clear and reasoned statement. I also thought MacRumors might want to know why they might be losing visitors if they were at all concerned.

My profession is usability, and user testing has shown time and time again that users dislike unexpected actions on pages they visit. Unexpected audio and expanding ads are prime examples of those kinds of actions which cause users to leave sites, never to return.

8. MickyDees macrumors newbie

I've had the same experience, with an add that covers the navigation tabs at the top of the main page. I had to click on the forums to be able to see and click on the Page 2 link. It can get a little annoying.

9. simsaladimbamba, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011

simsaladimbamba

MR is definitely not losing visitors, look at the growing numbers of members (though more than 50% don't have many posts).
    I never experience any invasive or inappropriate ads though.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Do you not use RSS? I haven't visited the actual homepage in years.

Also, you visit for 10 years and have an issue with ONE ad and don't even report it? MR can't and doesn't (as far as I know) screen every possible freaking ad.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MR's don't select particular adverts. According to the FAQ they use an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. They do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After being a member for over 8 years, did you ever stop to think about reading the appropriate way of dealing with such ads?

What do I do about annoying ads? from the Forum FAQ
    With that logic, why should you have to abide by forum rules? You report them as a contribution to the effort to keep the site running well, in the same way you report posts that violate rules.
    Ads are on a rotation. The site owner/admins/mods don't have time to review every ad. They depend on forum members to help, in the same way they depend on forum members to report posts.

13. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

I don't have access to visitor numbers, but just because that number is increasing, it is no indication of X number of visitors who do visit the site, see invasive ads and leave permanently. Without the bad ads, the visitor numbers could be climbing at a much higher rate.

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

All that whining and you could of spent $25 and never seen an ad.

But you want FREE .... rather FREE with ads that suit you.

You get what you pay for. The wealth of info here, what a bargain, best $25 I've spent.

ah, some people are cheaper than they are wise ...

15. iStudentUK, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You still here?

Also, report problem ads so MR know about them.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Couldn't agree more: I spend many enjoyable hours on here and am happy to support the site for a measly $25 a year. The fact that ads are removed is a bonus :)

17. network23, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011

network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

It was two different ads in as many days. That was seeming like a trend to me.

As for a more appropriate way to report the ads, this site doesn't make it clear about the methods for doing so. I found nothing on the home page, and felt this forum was an appropriate place to do so. I apologize for not spending more time searching through the site to discover more appropriate means. Although, again I must reiterate; while I might have certainly reported an ad for something like offensive language or images, I might not have felt like reporting these ads was worthwhile since it appeared to me that they are included in the site with MacRumors' blessings. For all I know, the expanding and audio ads are approved by MacRumors and "reporting" them would not be the correct avenue to address them.

From a usability standpoint, if indeed not all the ads are screened, a link near each ad, much like the link to report inappropriate posts here in the forum, for reporting ads would be much more user-friendly and utilized.

All I am doing is explaining my reasons. They are not everyone's reasons. I thought MacRumors might like to know why.

Please read my original post before making snarky remarks. I specifically said I wasn't leaving the forums.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'd never make it in the advertising profession. It's their goal to be as intrusive and obnoxious as possible! Ever watch TV and see the commercials? Ever surf websites and see popup ads and sites loaded with banners? You act like this is something new.
    Advertising = obnoxious.
    Advertising ≠ usability.​
    Really?
    ScreenCap 13.png

2. ScreenCap 14.png

3. ScreenCap 15.png
    So easy, even a cave man could do it!

19. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

There is no need to 'flame' the guy. They have the right to question the MR's Gods about the policy.

20. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

I'll respond to this when you explain how what you said relates in any way to what you quoted from me.

And why would the FIRST place I think to look for questions about MacRumors be on the Forum site? I was having issues with the ads on MacRumors not MacRumors Forums. The first and most logical place for anyone to look would be on MR, not the forums. How would you expect visitors to report ads on MR if they were not Forum members?

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Absolutely, members have the right to question policy. However, it's obvious the OP didn't read the FAQ on this topic, or they wouldn't have made the erroneous assumptions they made. It isn't "flaming" to direct them to the established procedure for dealing with such ads.

22. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

Thanks for the support. I'm happy to address any questions or complaints people have with my complaint. I don't scare easy.

I'll admit, had I done some more digging and searching, I might have found where to bring up the matter with the site owners at a more discreet level. However, the method to do so is not obvious. Hopefully this thread may lead to improved usability here. And if indeed, invasive ads are not the kind of advertising MR wants here and they do what they can to remove them and keep them off the site, I have no problem remaining a visitor.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not sure that was directed at you, but there are obviously posters flaming him. Anyway, I think he's received the message he should have just reported the ads.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your post makes it sound like you're expecting usability or user likes or dislikes to be implemented in advertising. As has already been stated in the FAQ and by other posts here, MR leadership does not hand-pick ads to run on the site. Therefore, the kinds of ads are determined by the advertisers, who aren't going to be sensitive to what users like or what is usable; only to what draws attention to their ads. That's why it's up to us to report those ads that take it too far.
    You're obviously not a visitor. After 8+ years as a member, it's reasonable to expect you would have read the FAQ at least once or twice. Since the FAQ provides a method for reporting ads, why would you think that would exclude the front page or other parts of the site?

Even disregarding all of this, a more appropriate approach would have been to ask "How do I report an obnoxious ad on the MR site?" rather than stating "Goodbye, MacRumors site".

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

A simple search does find the answer you are looking for, including direct message to admins about annoying ads.