MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a pair of reports yesterday, Reuters noted that rumors of Apple dumping Google in favor of Microsoft's Bing for the iPhone's search functionality have hung in the air at this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. According to the first report, Google vice president Vic Gundotra called the Apple-Google relationship "stable" and noted that Google has "no reason to believe that's going to change".
"Apple is a very close and valuable partner and we're very excited about the relationship we have with them today. We have no reason to believe that's going to change," Vic Gundotra, who leads Google's mobile engineering, told journalists on Monday.

"We don't want to comment on those rumours," he said when pressed on the issue of the iPhone at a roundtable at industry trade fair Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. "We think that relationship is stable."
A second report from Reuters described Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's reaction upon being asked about the prospects of a deal to bring Bing to the iPhone.
When asked about the reports, Ballmer said "I wouldn't comment either way," but smiled, and repeated the phrase when the reporter remarked that Ballmer looked happy.
Apple's deal with Google to provide default search for the iPhone has been pegged at a value of over $100 million per year for Apple as it participates in revenue sharing with Google through the platform.

Article Link: Google and Microsoft Vie for iPhone Search Presence

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I don't know why they would "drop" Google entirely from MobileSafari. Even if they did add Bing, mostly likely it would just be the default with Google as an option similar to how Yahoo is right now.

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
as long as i can change the default to suit my preference, apple can make a deal with whoever!

what was the case with what verizon did (on blackberrys, i think) recently - when it made bing the default search engine, did users have a choice at all? or was it bing or nothing?

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I don't know why they would "drop" Google entirely from MobileSafari. Even if they did add Bing, mostly likely it would just be the default with Google as an option similar to how Yahoo is right now.

I know why.

Google has been ripping off Apple ever since Schmidt left the board. And while he was on it too.

[edit]

Just my opinion.

[/edit]

Comment

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I don't like Bing and don't use it, but put me in the category that if I can change it, I don't care what the default is.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If it’s any good, may as well add it as an option. Imagine a day when Microsoft makes money off of things that are actually pretty good, and Google has competition* :)

* But I still like Google for my searching.

Comment

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Apple doesn't seem to like the way/fashion that Google competes with them. Apple has always had a better corporate relationship with MS, so this is no surprise. They would much rather throw money MS's way then Google's at this point.

Comment

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Looks like Apple is slapping google around for some more money and using Microsoft to do it. These are truly Steve's glory days.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Thank Christ I'll never be subjected to Bing as my default. :D

Will there be an outrage if this happens? What's next, desktop Safari? :p

Comment

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I'm all for competition and how it drives innovation. My problem is that when I have tried to use Bing for searching, I seldom get the kinds of results I expect or want. I'm not just saying they I did not get a useful link. I'm saying the results are sometimes not even in the right ballpark, which is worse. Typing in the identical phrase on Google, usually gets me what I am looking for. I suppose it's possible that I've been using Google so long I have "figured out how to work it efficiently" for my own needs, but the search phrases I use are typically "plain english."

So for me, if Apple was to replace Google w/Bing, I would see that as a big negative. I certainly hope that does not happen.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I know why.

Google has been ripping off Apple ever since Schmidt left the board. And while he was on it too.

[edit]

Just my opinion.

[/edit]
Care to share what google have stolen from Apple? (3rd time asking, will I get a response this time?) :confused:

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Hmm, MS slams iPhone in Windows Phone 7 Series announcement yet secretly negotiates for iPhone search placement.

Verizon slams iPhone in TV ads yet secretly negotiates for iPhone carrier status.

Apple slams AT&T for iPhone performance yet inks another deal with them for the iPad.

Steve Jobs slams Google and Adobe in employee briefing yet still relies on their products and services to keep his own platform humming.

Business is a strange beast.

Me, I'd like to see as little Microsoft on my iPhone as possible, thanks.

Comment

reevans

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
Canada
I do anything to avoid M$

I hope that I will always be able to choose my search engine easily. I when Balmer's microsoft thing goes Bing, I don't want to know about it.

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
What would give Apple more...

A competitive deal between Google and/or Bing or others to put their search engine on the iPhone as status quo.

or...

Have Apple create a search engine (or purchase one and rebrand... hello Yahoo!) and then add Quattro Mobile ads for the click through $$$?

Would Apple receive more than what Google is currently paying if Apple just did their own thing or would it be a can of worms and too much of a headache? What does Google earn on search revenue or ad revenue or click through revenue of however they make their money versus what Apple makes by just receiving Google's check and putting them as default on the iPhone?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.