Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple Car play is a module that runs on QNX. AndroidAuto should be as well. Should be an easy toggle back and forth on the infotainment system.

Google is probably just riding on top of the work and hardware specifications Apple and auto makers have already hashed out.

So any chance we could get both running at the same time? Then, we could have a driving directions smack down between Apple Maps and Google Maps. I had that accidentally happen once on an iPad and was getting some very different directions. Made me think of that classic scene from Airplane with the male & female terminal voices "There's no stopping in the white zone": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ2EPeq1TK0

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
So any chance we could get both running at the same time? Then, we could have a driving directions smack down between Apple Maps and Google Maps. I had that accidentally happen once on an iPad and was getting some very different directions. Made me think of that classic scene from Airplane with the male & female terminal voices "There's no stopping in the white zone": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ2EPeq1TK0

Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Show me the animations throughout iOS that Android just showed. Or, hell, show me those floating controls that were just showcased at IO. Show me one application that utilizes the layered/animated/floating control look that everyone just saw at IO.

Okaaaay. I can only assume you've never actually used iOS. The whole "Material" design language is basically lifted from iOS 7, with a Googley font and pinch of Windows 8 thrown in.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I would not by a vehicle with android OS in it. So ridiculous.

1. What's ridiculous is that you said "by a car". You BUY a car

2. It's called Android Auto

3. I guess your not going to BUY any car then since most car manufacturers are installing both CarPlay and Android Auto in their Vehicles. FYI

figgnuttan

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2004
Earth
Taking the time for "I don't care"

I know a lot of people will be against me on this but this is not APPLE NEWS.

I come to MacRumors for Apple news, not Google/Android news.

I DON'T CARE!

I agree! Only read down to here and decided to respond and quit reading....lo..

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
It's voice-operated. Look at a CarPlay video - clearly usability was not given too much thought there, and it requires plenty of physical button presses to operate.

The interface manages to pack a lot more information yet manages to be more readable because it's not using an illegible typeface.

CarPlay is extremely basic. It's a frontend for a couple of apps and that's it. Android Auto gives you tons of information and is extremely integrated.

Are you saying CarPlay isn't voice operated? Because its less sophisticated forerunner cousin, "Siri in the Car" certainly is. And of course, Android Auto also can use your "steering wheel buttons", etc, as specifically mentioned in the i/o keynote. I bet they are more similar than different.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
3. I guess your not going to BUY any car then since most car manufacturers are installing both CarPlay and Android Auto in their Vehicles. FYI

I do like the thought of them installing both systems. I havent read anything about this though. Source?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Yes, including hackers and cyber pirates...
It's open to all, like an open safe box.

Open API means you allowed to access them and they are documented (and usually standardised).

A hacker would be able to access them anyway. Thats part of what they do to jail breaked iPhones, they access the forbidden/hidden API to customise it.

There has been a few apps in app store accessing forbidden/hidden API's, they get removed once discovered, but there is no magic protecting those API's.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
How could people not see the difference? I don't care which you prefer, but to say they look the same is asinine.

----------

Yawn. Head back to your fanboy party.

So in your book, difference is better?

I asked you to show me why it's better function wise, not look. Have you seen the speed that CarPlay is operating? It's instant response and there's a big lag in google demo.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
So in your book, difference is better?

I asked you to show me why it's better function wise, not look. Have you seen the speed that CarPlay is operating? It's instant response and there's a big lag in google demo.

My bottom response was for you. Your "photoshop" comment, mainly.

The top response was for the person that said they looked the same.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
How could people not see the difference? I don't care which you prefer, but to say they look the same is asinine.

One has a terribly distracting background that has absolutely no place in a car environment where you should be focused on driving?

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Google: "Google Maps seems to know where everything is."

Suck on that, Apple.

read this as
"Google Maps seems to know where everything is, now including you !"

Yet another pool of data for google to mine and sell. I wonder how long it will be before they start giving directions which just happen to make you drive past google advertisers.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX

----------

Yawn. Head back to your fanboy party.

I think they both look nice. I'd be happy to have either in my car, preferably Carplay as I use iOS devices.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Watched the demo, it looks good. It will be interesting how googles offering develops against apples car play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.