Google announces "Google+"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by haiggy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st

Video Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnJ5Bl4kLI&feature=player_embedded

Looks to be like yet another social network, Google style.

Thoughts?

I searched, couldn't find a thread on this yet.

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

google has tried to do social networking stuff before, and not succeeded

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Kind of surprised there's no story on this already. I know it's not a MR but it's worthy of Front Page to me given it's potential impact on the industry.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Google Wave. Google Buzz. I don't know why they think this will work...

...or why they have to build yet another service no one has any use for, other than greed.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Looks to be like yet another data miner site, Google style.

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

They should do something innovative like a phone or a browser.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

At least it's somewhat Mac related since Hertzfeld did the UI.

I know, I'm dating myself! :p

9. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

It looks very well done. I'm interested to see how this shapes up. This has impressive potential in terms of closer integration of social networking with Android devices. This could be very big, actually.

Smart.

10. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i had a chat like social network idea that was based off of their circle thing. you would have different group chats for different people you hang out with. to bad i didnt go at it :p i would never have been able to make a site like that though as i only took one semester of website production. oh well :D

but in all seriousness, i know google has failed at the social thing before but this sounds like it could work. they would need an app for the top smartphone OS (ios, android, blackberry, windows) and a well designed website. it just a few people to start and it will pick up momentum. i guess time will tell but im keeping my eye out

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

To be honest I can really see a market for the Circles feature. Being a year out of college and 5 years out of high school, I have circles of friends from my home town, my high school, my college and work, as well as immediate and extended family. I think that Circles, as demonstrated here, represent a social reality—the fact that we interact with people in our different social circles differently, and that these groups don't necessarily intersect.

This was, in part, the genius of the original Facebook: it was limited in scope to your college, and therefore your friends from college. In the years since, Facebook has been diluted and washed out to where everybody you meet for more than 5 minutes wants to be your friend. But the reality is that we don't want to share everything with everyone (as much as Mark Zuckerberg & co would like). I currently have google groups email lists with my best buddies from high school and college—we can bounce stuff around that we would never post on each other's walls on Facebook, things that we know the rest of the group will be interested in, organize get togethers and so on. Circles really popped out at me as a smart, natural way interact with friends.

12. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

It's going to be huge. I think google finally got it right. That plus more and more people are leaving Facebook.

13. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i believe it will be the best one yet released by google, fourth time is a charm.

im def interested and will try it out once i get an invite.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Google has done such a poor job of publicising their services and features that even if they fail with this, the average person will never know about it.

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

This is El Goog's biggest problem. They need to open it up to everyone right from the get-go. Wave sucked because there was nobody to talk to. Being closed right now, nobody's Circles will be able to grow. Early adopters will flock to this, but then they'll find themselvs alone. You'd think Google would've learned it's Social lesson by now. I've never had a Facebook account, but I'd give this a try if I knew it would last more than a month or two.

16. skier777, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011

skier777 macrumors 6502

they have failed with this kind of stuff before, but im intrigued. They must only learn from the mistakes so maybe they will get it right one day.

I dont think greed can every be applied to google as pretty much everything they do is free.
    I know, I know, they make money from the ads, but really, you sit on a PC for Xnumber of hours a day, its not like using a service from google instead of a service from FB makes any difference to you. I don't think of it as Google being greedy, i think they are simply giving users et another option.

17. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Facebook needs competition. Myspace is nowhere to be seen anymore. I wonder if this will be it? Tied into Android, Youtube, Picasa, Gmail, Chrome, Google Docs, Google Talk/Voice and web search this could be a big hit for them. Especially if there was a way to import your facebook contacts. Im assuming all facebook users who use Gmail as their account login would easily be added. In fact if you could search your windows live/AIM contacts too then it could get real big real fast.

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Finally, Google's done social networking properly. I hope this catches on.

19. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

20. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

Yawn, wake me up if this amounts to anything. Goofle has tried social networking so many different ways that I'm not going to give this any attention yet... If they can't buy out a competitor, they simply copy them. C'mon Google, stick to what you're good at.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I can see your point, but I don't use Google or Facebook so I can't really see your point.

Search, Google does great at. Stick with it. Analytics, do that. Adwords/sense, yep yep. Email and Documents even. But yet another social network when your previous two have flopped? Throwing money at the same idea just because you want to dominate the market is awfully Microsoftian for a company whose motto was "Don't Be Evil."

22. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

The last two attempts were half-baked, though. Buzz and Wave were basically ways of having Twitter-like conversations, but one was too basic and one was too complicated.

Google Plus, though, just seems to make sense. It's a proper social networking solution, and it lets people control who they share information with, which has become an issue that's risen in importance in the past few years.

I have no idea what will now happen with this, but I do honestly hope it catches on, and I will persuade my friends to start using it.

23. walangij macrumors 6502

This looks like it could be a hit. One that reaches meteoric heights quickly? Maybe.

This appears to be a fully thought out social network as opposed to their previous attempts. Also the full court press of iOS & Android apps to accompany Google+ will probably convert a lot of new users.

Huddle looks like a great competitor to BBM, KiK messenger, ect. If its integrated into new Android devices it will be a definite hit. Great cross platform support will really boost its following.

The most exciting thing about this is the integration it may be able to achieve. But it is also one of the most frightening things about it as well. I'm just waiting for an invite.

24. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I wish google would concentrate on GoogleAuctions™ The sooner Ebay get a bit of competition the better.

25. Nakor macrumors newbie

Looks like users can send invites out now. Anyone have one willing to share? Could do a pay-it-forward type deal on here :)