Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Looks like users can send invites out now. Anyone have one willing to share? Could do a pay-it-forward type deal on here :)

Yes, agreed. One of you kind fellows with an invite should give us invites, so we can give other kind fellows invites.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'd love for this to eventually eclipse Facebook, like Facebook did to myspace. I never liked Facebook but everyone is on it.

Love the ideas of circles. I always hated it if a casual friend posted something stupid or vulgar on my wall. My family and neighbors read that stuff.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I believe it was a kind soul on here who dropped me a Wave invite, so if anyone could do the same for Plus I'd be very grateful and pass out any spares to other MR users (and I'm likely to have quite a few spare due to the fact I have very few friends) :p

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I definitely like the circles idea, but not a fan of Google taking over the web.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I wish google would concentrate on GoogleAuctions™ The sooner Ebay get a bit of competition the better.

Thye have Auctions now too? Never heard of that! But yeah a challenge to ebay would be great.

If anyone has any extra invites, I'd love to give it a shot! :)

Me too. Facebook needs a shake up. No native iPad app for nearly 18 months :mad:

I definitely like the circles idea, but not a fan of Google taking over the web.

Circles seems like one of the best aspects to me. Its a great way of 'testing' new mates out, adding people from forums, from twitter, flickr etc without them being all over your family and friends info. As for Google taking over the web i cant believe how many projects they have going! Looking at Picasa as a MM gallery alternative right at this very moment. Maybe Yahoo needs to step up? I know they have Flickr and Eurosport and maps and search, but only Flickr is an A grade product of theirs. Maybe Messenger but i dont know enough people who use it. Their email not having imap as standard sucks too.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
If and when invites are open again, I'd love it if someone could set me up. PM me if you would be so kind.

Thx!

Paul

PS- Thanks to all of those who pointed out my bad internet hygiene moment, by posting my email address. This is why I shouldn't be able to post things in the morning.

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I bet phishers will have a ball with all these people putting their e-mail addresses on public sites at the moment.

zetsurin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Google Wave. Google Buzz. I don't know why they think this will work...

...or why they have to build yet another service no one has any use for, other than greed.

How many Cloud services have Apple released so far, all utter failures. Yet they keep doing it. How is this any different to Google trying to find a successful formula in social networking?

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
It's pretty genius that Google realized Facebook's flaw and is now trying to capitalize on it. But in the coming weeks, perhaps Facebook will try implementing their version of circles.

But if anyone is kind enough to forward me an invite, send me a PM please :) I'd love to try this thing out.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Google Wave. Google Buzz. I don't know why they think this will work...

...or why they have to build yet another service no one has any use for, other than greed.

Yeah, they're so greedy providing all these services to us for free! I feel so ripped off! :rolleyes:

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Interested in an invite too...

Circles looks interesting but Facebook already has similar features, of course, it took me a while to figure out how they worked. Here, ill explain:

Circles looks just like groups in Facebook. How is it different? You can make private groups in Facebook and invite friends, like a private message board.

If you want to hide posts from people you can do that too. On the edit friends page you can make lists and add select friends to it. Then when you make a post click the lock icon, click custom from the drop down and type the group name in the field for only visible to these people. Voila, your post is now hidden to everyone except the people in the list you gave permission to it.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Interested in an invite too...

Circles looks interesting but Facebook already has similar features, of course, it took me a while to figure out how they worked. Here, ill explain:

Circles looks just like groups in Facebook. How is it different? You can make private groups in Facebook and invite friends, like a private message board.

If you want to hide posts from people you can do that too. On the edit friends page you can make lists and add select friends to it. Then when you make a post click the lock icon, click custom from the drop down and type the group name in the field for only visible to these people. Voila, your post is now hidden to everyone except the people in the list you gave permission to it.

Exactly. Just look at all the steps you have to go through. Then in a few months they'll throw that feature out and make you set the new version up all over again.

Google Circles just lets you drag and drop people's names into a circle. Done. I bet it'll work on a deeper level, too, so every bit of info you include in your profile - where you work, for example - will be visible depending on Circles.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Why does Google do this invite thing...I remember how hard it was to get a Gmail account back in the day.

In any case, if I could get an invite that would be lovely. :D If anyone can PM you will be my hero on the internet for a intergalactic standard week.

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
You guys can just sign up here.

Jus' sayin'.

That just tacks you on to the end of the waiting list to be invited. Eventually they will start moving down the list and letting people in. Right now, they only let journalists and celebrities in. However, if one of these few people invites you, you can invite others.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
googleplus.png

http://xkcd.com/918/

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
So I've been playing with this for a bit now and while only 5 of my irl friends are on, I still think it can be a hit. It brings identity to the internet without the TMI of Facebook. Right now it feels like a huge online directory, which I guess is both good and bad. It is still unclear to me if we will be able to control who adds us to their streams or if it will be like Twitter where anyone can message anyone. I can definitely see this occupying some sort of middle-ground in-between Linked-In, Facebook and Twitter.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I say Apple should go into the search market perhaps to step on Google. With millions of iPhones & iPods & Macs with Apple search by default, it is bound to gain some sort of momentum in the market. Make google know what it feels like to have their market stepped on by some unrelated company.

Google stepped on everyone else's turf with email (Hotmail, yahoo!, at the time .Mac).
Google stepped on everyone else's turf with Android. (iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows)
Google stepped on everyone else's turf with Chrome. (Safari, Firefox, IE)
Google is trying to step in the OS market with ChromeOS (Mac OS, Windows, Ubuntu)
And now the Social Networking crowd? (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter)

After the lack of customer service with dealing with Google Apps for business, I hope this Google+ thing fails. They are the type to take your money (and CC#) and run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.