Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that Stadia, its cloud gaming service, will be coming to iPhone and iPad in the near future through an upcoming web app. Since launch, Google has not been able to bring Stadia to iOS devices because of Apple's restrictions on cloud gaming services.

google-stadia.jpg

Apple in August said that cloud gaming services were allowed on the App Store, but that each individual game must be submitted to be reviewed by Apple's App Store team. Submitting hundreds of games to the App Store is so far not something any cloud gaming service has wanted to do, and those services are instead opting for web access.

Google is working on a progressive web version of Stadia that will run on Safari, and a public beta test will be available in the coming weeks.

Microsoft is also developing a web-based version of its xCloud gaming service, and Amazon's Luna game service works on iOS devices using the web browser. Just today, NVIDIA announced browser support for its streaming gaming service GeForce NOW, with plans to bring Fortnite back to iOS devices.

Google launched Stadia one year ago today, allowing subscribers to play cloud-based games on compatible laptops, PCs, Macs, phones, and tablets. Stadia requires an internet connection of 10Mb/s or more, and while it's free to use, games must be purchased. Google also offers Stadia Pro for $10 per month with access to some free games and higher resolution streaming rates.

According to Google, more than 80 games have been added to Stadia over the last year, and starting soon, Google will be offering free-to-play content even for non subscribers.

Article Link: Google Bringing Stadia Cloud Gaming Service to iOS Through Web App

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
Apple's prohibition on streaming services needs to end. Why is streaming games via Stadia any different to streaming movies and TV shows on Netflix or Amazon Prime? And they can be used via the web, but not a first-class app that would provide a better user experience? So silly!

Does Apple require Netflix to submit all their content for approval? I don't think so.

Cubsfan

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Apple's prohibition on streaming services needs to end. Why is streaming games via Stadia any different to streaming movies and TV shows on Netflix or Amazon Prime? And they can be used via the web, but not a first-class app that would provide a better user experience? So silly!
Serious question -- why does it matter? Having used GeForce Now this morning, I can't tell the difference. What do you think an app would add to the experience?

B4rbelith

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2020
Serious question -- why does it matter? Having used GeForce Now this morning, I can't tell the difference. What do you think an app would add to the experience?
I've used Stadia on the Mac, and it goes through the Chrome browser without a hiccup, so I agree. It should be no problem at all on an iOS browser.

Reactions: Donfor39

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If Apple wants to retain any control of apps on iOS, they need to dramatically loosen rules or else everyone is going to just make web apps instead.

Cutting what they keep from developers making under $1M in half is a good move, but they really need to permit other native stores or we'll all just switch to web stores.

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia

Does Apple require Netflix to submit all their content for approval? I don't think so.

Because 85% of AppStore's income comes from games, and Apple wants that juicy 30%.

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
I've used Stadia on the Mac, and it goes through the Chrome browser without a hiccup, so I agree. It should be no problem at all on an iOS browser.

This is because Google have basically built Stadia in to the Chrome browser. It doesn't work on other browsers, and there are some obvious special extensions like the interfaces for connecting/configuring headsets and controllers.

I don't doubt that Stadia should work ok inside Safari, but it probably won't be as good as what could be done with a native app. Still, I'm glad its happening and I'll keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: V.K.

rgeneral

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
does this mean small developers will put their games on this type platform. in turn, they will charge them 30% as well?

Spindel

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
It was apple who suggested they make web apps! They even helped them do it and built the support in safari for them!
Also wasn’t that what they wanted from the begining before appstore. That expanded functionality was supposed to come through webapps.

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008

Why should Apple allow other companies to use their platform to market their competing platform. It’s like Target putting up a tent in the Walmart parking lot selling their wares to people coming to Walmart

ervingv

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Why should Apple allow other companies to use their platform to market their competing platform. It’s like Target putting up a tent in the Walmart parking lot selling their wares to people coming to Walmart
lol It’s always these kind of comments whenever someone brings up Apple’s stupid rules concerning game streaming apps.

Reason077

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2007
Why should Apple allow other companies to use their platform to market their competing platform.

For the same reason that Apple allows Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, and a million other third-party apps on iOS? Great app support sells more iOS devices.

It’s like Target putting up a tent in the Walmart parking lot selling their wares to people coming to Walmart

... and then giving them 30% of the proceeds? I don't think Walmart would mind!

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
because if developers don't use their platform, neither will the developer's users. I'd like to see how well Apple iPhones would sell if the only apps you could run on them were Apple's own apps.

If Apple allowed end users to install Apps outside of the App store, then you might have a point.

Last edited:

johnmarki

macrumors member
May 13, 2020
The Matrix
This is good for competition in the cloud gaming space. Tried Stadia and Shadow. Ended up sticking with Shadow as the quality is amazing (Apple TV 4k) and I also can use the service as a PC workspace if necessary.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
If Apple would just allow everyone to put apps in the App Store without all of the silly nanny, and anti-competitive rules, Apple would make even more money. But no, we have to have Apple megalomania.
They all have stores with rules. Even google. Microsoft, sony and others. All with rules, all with fees. Anyone can put an app on any of these stores as long as they comply with that stores rules.
Any of the game streaming services can be on the app store with approval. And some are. If you don't want to do that, here please make a web app, we'll even help you do it! Aka, amazon luna.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
support for progessive web apps. I believe also support for bluetooth controlles in a browser.
PWA isn't proprietary and I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have had to have added it anyways. Don't know anything about bluetooth controller in browser support, but I know USB access has been in the works for some time... other browsers already support it.

Reactions: blizzerand
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.