Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, news leaked that Google was working on an Android Wear app for the iOS App Store, and it appears that the company's progress on engineering Android Wear devices to work with iPhones is nearing completion.

According to a source that spoke to The Verge, Android Wear on the iPhone works similarly to the Apple Watch, connecting through a companion app and providing functions like Notifications. Google is said to be "close to finishing" the final technical details behind the project.

thevergefacetimeandroidwear.jpg
An LG G Watch R with FaceTime notification from iOS, via The Verge
In its current state of development, Android Wear works along with a companion app on the iPhone and supports basic functions like notifications -- as you can see in the photo below. As it does on Android, on the iPhone Android Wear also supports Google Now's ambient information cards, voice search, and other voice actions. It should also support some more advanced features with Google's own iOS apps, like replying to Gmail messages.
If Google finishes the project and submits its Android Wear app to the iOS App Store, it is not clear how Apple will react, given that the app would allow Android Wear devices to compete directly with the Apple Watch. Apple allows Pebble and other competing fitness bands to have apps in the App Store, so it may also permit Google to release an Android Wear app, but at the same time, Apple has aggressively cut down on products similar to the Apple Watch in its retail stores.

It no longer sells fitness devices like the Fitbit, the Jawbone UP, and the Nike Fuelband, and over the years, Apple has also had some altercations with Google. Apple used to feature Google Maps on its iOS devices, but moved on to its own proprietary mapping solution several years ago.

Android Wear watches are built on Google's platform but are available from a number of Apple's competitors, including Samsung and LG. Popular smartwatches like the LG G, the Moto 360, and Samsung's Gear lineup are all Android Wear devices.

There is no word on when Google might release an iOS app capable of officially connecting Android Wear devices to iPhones, but it's possible an announcement could come during the company's I/O developer conference in late May.

Article Link: Google Close to Finishing Android Wear App for iOS

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I've been interested in the Asus ZenWatch since it came out. It looks great, it's affordable, and it does everything I'd want it to do and nothing more.

Good deal!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Exactly. Sort of puts the term 'open' on it's head.

Not really. Android Wear is open. You may use any phone you want with it. :apple:Watch is closed - you can't use it with any phone other than an iPhone.

It's not that iPhone users have choice because the iPhone is closed, but Android Wear users have choice because Android Wear is open.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's not that iPhone users have choice because the iPhone is closed, but Android Wear users have choice because Android Wear is open.

Android Wear users may have choice, and Apple Watch users don't.....

but also Apple PHONE users have choice, while Android PHONE users don't.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey

Your really trying arent ya. And why do Apple phone users have choice compared to Android phone? Yep because Wear is open

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
My dad asked me if I plan to buy an Apple Watch. I told him yes. He said "I saw on the news that it can tell you when to get up and move around, can tell you where you need to be, can even keep track of your health". I said yep, more or less. His response was, "I guess I don't need an Apple watch then, I already have your mother for that". I am pretty sure he heard this on TV somewhere - my dad isn't usually that clever with current events, and it's the first "your mother" joke he's ever told me, lol.

I guess Android Wear on iOS can only be a good thing. Any cool features they make available will put pressure on Apple to make their Watch better. And vice versa. Which hopefully means growth and meaning for the smart watch category for the masses. It seemed that the smart watch category as a whole is what got the bad reviews, and not so much the Apple Watch itself.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
If only Jobs would have kept his promise and opened FaceTime so everyone could use it. Sure would be nice to be able to use it with Android friends too.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Great, but I am going to hold out until I get a 'wearable' that will replace my phone completely.

Last edited:

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
It will be interesting to see if Apple allows this integration to come to fruition and be allowed in their App Store.

Apple doesn't tend to like competition all that much, and anything that takes attention away from Apple Watches will surely be viewed with disdain.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
it will come

There should be no problem with Andriod Wear on iOS. At least Apple better mind their P's & Q's regarding allowing competing products on their platform - if they don't it's a potential Anti-Trust violation - the same kind of crap that landed Microsoft in hot water.

I think you'll see it in the App Store soon enough. It's not like there is a real problem or even much competition - Android Wear can fill in the low end; the Apple Watch is in a different league entirely.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Do you still not see how silly this is? Hypothetically, Android phone users will have 15 choices of smartwatches. Apple users will have 16 choices. What's the big deal? Apple is winning! Uh, yay?:confused:

edit: Like MasterRyu2011 pointed out, not all Android smartwatches use Wear. Sooooo, what wasn't a big deal in the first place is even less so.;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.