Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Refunding me for un-used data SOUNDS good in theory, but that essentially puts me back in the mindset of "should I open this app or should I save some money?"

No thanks. Not interested.

Even though I'm not actually on an unlimited plan the family plans with rollover data sure feel like one these days. I have zero interest in going back to the old way where every use of data away from home makes me feel guilty.

It's not even about saving money so don't point out that it's cheaper. I'll gladly pay more to a avoid having that discussion with myself dozens of times a day. What a waste of my attention.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Let me guess... If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have no reason to fear this.

Realistically, you have more to fear by simply using any smartphone on an American cellular network than you would using any Google or Facebook product.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Even Google's CEO Eric Schmidt said : "I actually think most people don't want Google to answer their questions, They want Google to tell them what they should be doing next."

That's the goal. To tell what you should be doing next. They are convinced to be in a better position than you to know what's good for you. And we're getting there, because most people seem to be ok with it.

I’m sure Jobs said something similar?

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Watching the video.. Is lol...

Ugly bulky phone... Ugly bulky tablet.. And the watch??? Lol.... Lololol...

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Er…...more like Apple telling customers what they want before they know it themselves.

Oh, yes. I do remember that being said at some point.

Though, to tell you the truth, most technology companies should operate this way. They should be ready with the next big thing before its the next big thing.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Oh, yes. I do remember that being said at some point.

Though, to tell you the truth, most technology companies should operate this way. They should be ready with the next big thing before its the next big thing.

There is a huge difference between trying to anticipate the next product that people may like, and cross-profiling all the planet's Internet activity and DNA to tell how you should behave in life, deciding how countries should be run and how societies should be shaped.

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I would have thought Americans just like us Canadians would be extatic about a company large like google shaking up the wireless carriers.

Instead you're all too focused on ohhh no it's Google go to hell.

Weather you like the service or Google does not matter. You should want this to work.

Maybe you like having third world wireless service. Fanboys will ruin the world I tell ya

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sprint and T-Mobile have unlimited plans. I'm paying 60 a month for mine with Sprint. No, this isn't more for less. This is less for more.

Huh. I don't recall seeing prices that low with anyone when I last checked. I recall it being somewhere between $80 and $100 for unlimited with Sprint.

Anyways, you should check how much you actually use. I use about 3 GB / month, so I could pay $50 for this to get coverage from both Sprint and T-Mobile.

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
There is a huge difference between trying to anticipate the next product that people may like, and cross-profiling all the planet's Internet activity and DNA to tell how you should behave in life, deciding how countries should be run and how societies should be shaped.

I hate to break it to you, but Artificial Intelligence and the like is coming. It's best to accept this or you're just going to make yourself go insane trying to stop it.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
I hate to break it to you, but Artificial Intelligence and the like is coming. It's best to accept this or you're just going to make yourself go insane trying to stop it.

Oh I know. Like I said, the vast majority of people will be perfectly happy to be tracked body and mind and be told what to do next and what to think next. There is almost no opposition to this, you accept it, just like most people do ( except in movies and novels ). I'm not trying to stop anything. I'm not exactly happy with it either, but I acknowledge it is inevitable.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Huh. I don't recall seeing prices that low with anyone when I last checked. I recall it being somewhere between $80 and $100 for unlimited with Sprint.

Anyways, you should check how much you actually use. I use about 3 GB / month, so I could pay $50 for this to get coverage from both Sprint and T-Mobile.

I'm using 2.6 GB as of right now and have 25 days left on my billing period. Actually, the 60$ is up from 50$ if you are using an iPhone on Sprint.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Lol, they're acting as if they INVENTED WiFi. I'll wait until this project is abandoned, like everything else they touch.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
This is MacRumours. an Echo chamber for Apple. Truth and facts are irrelevant here. Just blind hate.

Though, I do have to admit the question of how does Google benefit from this will need to be answered. What sort of information is being collected.

:rolleyes: It's possible to have valid concerns or criticism of Google without it being blind hate, like you just demonstrated.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
It's not an argument, it's simply reality. I'm not arguing that it's good or bad or right or wrong, simply saying it has been happening in humanity for ages, just that technology has been improving.

If by "ages" you mean, as long as information technology has been available, then sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.