Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Don't know if the answer was posted, but will Google pay my early termination penalty to leave my current carrier? Because then I might be interested.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What in paper form, sure but then it was by its nature local to one place and limited in size and scope.

And yet governments and organizations still had plenty of documentation on all kinds of people when needed. Pick away at it as you wish, the point stands that this kind of thing has been done throughout human history and was simply becoming easier with progress.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
And yet governments and organizations still had plenty of documentation on all kinds of people when needed. Pick away at it as you wish, the point stands that this kind of thing has been done throughout human history and was simply becoming easier with progress.

It really hasn't, because technology enables things that wasn't in any way feasible like automation, search, correlation and easy sharing plus a basically unlimited storage capacity, enough for private communications to be stored. So it really is a new thing, not at all like what used to be.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I hate google but this is a cool idea and anything. That puts pressure on att and Verizon I'm all for

Well Verizon says, or at least pretends that they are immune from any price consciousness at all. I just read an article today about Thurston Howell, or whoever Verizon has for a CEO, wishing good riddance to "price sensitive" customers on account of their super network.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Well Verizon says, or at least pretends that they are immune from any price consciousness at all. I just read an article today about Thurston Howell, or whoever Verizon has for a CEO, wishing good riddance to "price sensitive" customers on account of their super network.

Seems about right. I have att for cell service but you should see my Verizon fios cable bill. Their price gougers I can't wait for an Apple TV service

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It really hasn't, because technology enables things that wasn't in any way feasible like automation, search, correlation and easy sharing plus a basically unlimited storage capacity, enough for private communications to be stored. So it really is a new thing, not at all like what used to be.
The scope and speed expands with progress but the iunderluing dea has been there all along. Information has been gathered on people for ages. There's really no denying the reality of it that has been documented throughout history.

In any case, the dead horse has been beaten enough.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The scope and speed expands with progress but the iunderluing dea has been there all along. Information has been gathered on people for ages. There's really no denying the reality of it that has been documented throughout history.

I'm not saying that information has not been stored, but that computerizing it makes a huge difference, just like it has in other fields.

Before computers, a computer used to be a human, usually female with a pen and paper, nothing has really changed as the underlaying idea has been there all along.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
I would have thought Americans just like us Canadians would be extatic about a company large like google shaking up the wireless carriers.

Instead you're all too focused on ohhh no it's Google go to hell.

Weather you like the service or Google does not matter. You should want this to work.

Maybe you like having third world wireless service. Fanboys will ruin the world I tell ya

Its basically immaturity at most.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
There is a good chance that ATT and Verizon will come on board if Google gets the user base that demands it. End of the day these carriers only care about the bottom line.

I doubt that they will. The only reason why T-mobile and Sprint are willing to play ball is because they don't really have enough coverage to gain leverage on their own.

I for one like this because I've wanted to use T-mobile before, but in a lot of the areas where I need them, their coverage sucks. Oddly enough in some of those areas, Sprint is strong.

I have Verizon right now and I'm pretty happy with coverage, but it's a little pricey. Something like this would give me reason to consider switching off of Verizon when my term is up.

I probably won't, but as of now anything other than Verizon is not an option for me as my mobile phone is also my only business phone. I can't be cheap and go with a low cost carrier to save $20 a month.

EddieDeez

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Yes. I addressed this. Most people have families and thus benefit from family plans. For comparing prices on a per-line basis, a modest family plan is comparable to an individual plan.

Plus it's not even the cheapest for individual plans, not by a longshot.

----------

It's basically the same as rollover, economically speaking. Though, the rollover might be a better deal overall because rollover data typically is by MB, whereas this refund will round-up to the nearest GB. So, if I use 1.1GB of my 3GB plan: with Google I would get a refund for 1GB and lose .9GB, with rollover I would get an extra 1.9GB in the future and lose nothing (until they expire that is).

Nevertheless, I think this refund way is better - even if its just a statement credit. Would be be better if they prorated it to the nearest MB.

You get refunded $1 per every 100mb that go unused, they don't round up to the nearest G.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
This is a stupid idea. Currently there are supposed to be fast public wifi but my experience with wifi like this is its congested slow and often down in heavy traffic areas!

The reality will be more down time as your phone connects to bad routers or congested networks. Google is the devil

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Refunding me for un-used data SOUNDS good in theory, but that essentially puts me back in the mindset of "should I open this app or should I save some money?"

No thanks. Not interested.

Seriously? If that's such a burden to you then just open it and don't think twice. You'll end up paying what you pay and if you simply don't use up as much as you think, you'll get some change back. How oppressive is that?

To an extent I understand what you're saying. You'd rather have a fixed rate instead of having to devote some of your attention to the menial task of monitoring your hour to hour usage but how you go from that to seeing the ability to get money back if you don't use something... you lost me there.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Not interested.

If I wanted Google to know my every movement and minute detail about my life I would still be logged into Google+ and Gmail and Youtube and every other one of their countless services and have an Android phone and store all my sensitive documents in Google Drive.

What did you replace Gmail with? There are only like 4 other companies that offer emails services and they all snoop on your emails.

Also, how to deal with services that use your email as your account/username ?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Lol, they're acting as if they INVENTED WiFi. I'll wait until this project is abandoned, like everything else they touch.

90% of what they touch. Of the 100s of projects Google has started, they have a few they haven't abandoned. Search, ads, maps, gmail, chrome, drive, and android... I'm sure they have ~3 more projects that they didn't announce and then kill premature that isn't coming to mind right now...

Translate? They still maintain that, don't they?

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Not interested.

If I wanted Google to know my every movement and minute detail about my life I would still be logged into Google+ and Gmail and Youtube and every other one of their countless services and have an Android phone and store all my sensitive documents in Google Drive.

I quit on Google years ago when they screwed me over in a business matter, and I tried to follow up by contacting them only to learn that they have absolutely no customer service outlets, no way of directly contacting anyone at Google, and care so little about their users that they actively go out of their way to prevent them from expressing their concerns or dealing with their problems, and they literally crush anyone who disagrees with them.

you think apple doesnt? youre kidding yourself

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

My Verizon service costs me around $60/month. I'm on their lowest data plan at 500MB/month, which works except in the handful of months when I'm traveling. Otherwise, I don't use that much data. This is cheaper than AT&T and during my 2 year term while they're subsidizing the cost of my phone, it's actually cheaper than T-Mobile because I'm really paying only around $40/month for voice and 500Mb of data.

True, once I go beyond my minimalist data allotment, Verizon's rates go up pretty quickly, but I have an iPad that I use to buy data on T-Mobile when I need a large chunk of data. Unfortunately, I can't get decent coverage on T-mobile in the places where I need it so I end up back on Verizon.

I use Verizon for business so at the end of the day, I'm just happy I have something that works. That said, I'm not a total fan of Verizon. They give you a lot of flexibility in how you can change your billing month to month, but if you mess up, you're locked into an extra month of a lot more data than you need unless you have lots of time to spend arguing with someone on the phone.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Without iPhone onboard, this project is bound to fail. Mark my prophetic words.

That would have been true back in 2008/2009, but with Android having over half of US market, it's simply not true.

Apple will eventually hop onboard, just like they did with many other things.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
For the USA it actually seems to be a good service given the results so far. Since every country has their own NSA in secret, I like our dirty laundry debated in public, what a country.

nsa / edward snowden is a hoax.. due to that whole thing, we're now all concerned about privacy and whatnot.. it's a distraction.
we should be worried about how we're all being controlled already but the tv and news hasn't told us to think that so we don't.

'nations' is also a hoax.. there's one world and we're all trapped inside the cage.

world-bank-logo.jpg

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
That would have been true back in 2008/2009, but with Android having over half of US market, it's simply not true.

Apple will eventually hop onboard, just like they did with many other things.

it willlikely fail for other reason

Android / iPhone don't factor into this at all.

The service ONLY works with the Nexus 6 device.

unless something has changed, the Nexus 6 device isn't exactly the hot seller like previous nexus devices were. it's too big, and not exactly cheap.

Google is expecting you to fork over $650 for a 5.5" phone JUST to use this service.

I'm not sure that was a wise decision on their part.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is a stupid idea. Currently there are supposed to be fast public wifi but my experience with wifi like this is its congested slow and often down in heavy traffic areas!

The reality will be more down time as your phone connects to bad routers or congested networks. Google is the devil

The very last sentence kind of makes the rest of it moot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.