Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that it is testing two new generative AI features designed to improve the YouTube viewing experience. A select number of YouTube users will have access to these new additions during Google's testing period.

google-ai-youtube.jpg

For YouTube videos with long comment threads, YouTube will use artificial intelligence to organize them into themes or comment topics to facilitate conversation. Google says that creators can use these comment summaries to jump into comment discussions or draw inspiration for new content.

Topics are pulled from published comments, and will not be created from comments held for review or that include blocked words. The comment test is being done on mobile, so users who have access will see a star topic on a small number of videos in English.

YouTube is also gaining a conversational AI tool that is able to provide answers to questions about the video that you're watching. It can provide background information, offer up suggestions for related content, and more, without interrupting playback. For academic videos, the AI is able to provide quizzes and responses that Google says "encourage deeper understanding."

Conversational AI is available to a small number of people on a subset of videos, and those who have access will see a star icon.

While some users have access to these options for test purposes, YouTube Premium subscribers can opt in to these new features as the YouTube Premium subscription includes access to experimental features. Comment topics are available to premium members today, while the conversational AI option will be available in the coming weeks.

Google says that the AI features are experimental and that the company "may not always get it right," which is why these tests are available to a limited number of customers as Google collects feedback.

Article Link: Google Experimenting With New Generative AI Features for YouTube

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
For me, it would be useful for AI to learn from my previous comments and automatically comment on videos that I watch or even don't watch (such as ones that I add to playlist or select "post AI comment" without watching), so that I don't have to come up with unique snarky remarks for each video. I can always edit or add to the AI comments if I want. The AI would also automatically engage with all the comment wars on my behalf. I can step in as much or as little as I wish, but my valuable opinions will always find expression (probably to the other users' AI :confused:).

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Google is seeing how else it can screw up You Tube, every single year without fail, they update it and make it worst in some way. It’s a real talent they have, truly is. Amazes me every time they do it. For instance now you can’t refresh the comments section and you have to use two clicks to close a video and it freezes a few times now. All this AI will do is enhance how poor the app is.

When it comes to AI, Google is the company I trust the least over it, they are far far far far too keen and adventurous to literally try anything dangerous or not, then dump all support for it a week later! And only wonder if they should have done it when investigated and fined over it…

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
One of the best features YouTube has introduced lately was 2x speed playback when holding down on the screen, but they took it away. I wish they'd bring it back.
It still actives on my account/app and I wish there's a checkbox to disable it.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
They made it a permanent feature.

Yeah I saw that announcement, but I lost the functionality about a month ago. Now it just says "slide left or right to seek"

I used it when it was an experimental feature. Maybe they removed it temporarily and will roll it out to everyone soon.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I bet this is going to mean further censorship on YouTube.
Absolutely. Probably working hard to Appease certain state governments of which I don't name.
For me, it would be useful for AI to learn from my previous comments and automatically comment on videos that I watch or even don't watch (such as ones that I add to playlist or select "post AI comment" without watching), so that I don't have to come up with unique snarky remarks for each video. I can always edit or add to the AI comments if I want. The AI would also automatically engage with all the comment wars on my behalf. I can step in as much or as little as I wish, but my valuable opinions will always find expression (probably to the other users' AI :confused:).
Might as well turn off comment ability altogether, and let AI generate comments and start comment War all on their own. For human? Just block comment section entirely. Constructive comments are rarely seen today anyways.
Why don’t they use AI to eliminate spam/scam comments?
Spam/scam means engagements, and means more ad revenue. It’s in their best interest to encourage scam and spam and discourage adblocking.

One might argue: those meaningless engagements are just a waste of money! To that I reply, that’s not my problem.
Yep. The censorship on YouTube is abhorrent. Another fantastic idea ruined. I love YouTube but as the years go by, it becomes less and less appealing to use.
And with allegedly higher subscription fee and harsh stance on adblocker, my YouTube activity is now strictly confined to iPad only as their ad-block is the best to counter YouTube right now, which is a shame because my work cannot be done on iPad, period. No more background listening.

Adoniram

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Just so you all know, if you open YouTube in a private browsing tab, your ad blocker will still work (or at least Ad Block plus works in Chrome). If you’re signed in, then it does actually stop playback while blocking.

Reactions: arkitect

Powerguru

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Why don’t they use AI to eliminate spam/scam comments?
They want it. It’s called user engagement which can generate revenue. I know it sounds bad but that’s all these companies care about. Nothing else. They make money from conflict creation and management. It’s a business.

Reactions: steve09090
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.