Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
What a joke. They can’t even filter out the ‘you won a free scam from “whatsapp me at +1somenumberwritteninweirdfonts”’ posts.

“These comments seem to be offering you double your bitcoin if you send bitcoin to this address. It looks like Elon Musk is recommending it, so the AI thinks you should act now!”

Reactions: jimbobb24

kbf

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
Google says that the AI features are experimental and that the company "may not always get it right,"
Surprisingly self aware from the company whose project development process consists of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, at least for a few years before falling off.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
just heard about another experiment YT is doing: the "can't decide what to watch" button, which redirects the user to YT shorts from the mobile app. can't help thinking that YT simply aims to embrace the idiots as their mainstream consumer market.
and now this. i kept hearing that gen-z folks don't have the same "long" attention span as people who were born in 80s and 90s, and "they need a different way to learn" and here's where the video tutorials come into the picture. i still think this is BS, as the usual way of writing and reading books/papers - what served humanity as the go-to tool for passing knowledge to the next generation for at least 400 years - suddenly is not good enough.
now even watching videos isn't fast enough, we need some GAN language model to produce a(n unbiased? accurate? non-manipulative? not-greed-driven?) summary of it. Gathering knowledge is fun but at the same time requires effort, and there's no problem with that. if anyone doesn't like the idea of focusing on stuff in order to understand it and we change the world so they can save get it for free, then we're heading into the wrong direction.

i was expecting these platforms to be different, not carbon copy the TV, but here we are: you get countless useless ads shoved into your face and show-me-something is their best product.
i totally lost faith in humanity. looks like we don't need to wait 500 years to arrive into idiocracy - we have a fast path.
owww, my ballz.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I’m such a bitter old man that I don’t want to have an “experience” with “influencers.” I just want to sit back, watch a video and make up my own mind.

whirldy

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Within
Google definitely has better voice to text than Apple. I call Apple dictation the Apple dictation dictator!

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Wishing they worked on making the YouTube app’s notifications “generate” sounds on iPhone. It’s maddening that those stay silent no matter the settings.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
The only comments that matter on the videos I watch are the 5-10 comments that are cleverly hilarious and they are already upvoted already. They could make the sort by popularity really work so it actually shows the most upvoted comments.

Other than that most youtube comments are hilariously silly. You could sort the political comments into "prototypical left boomer, prototypical right boomer, big city lefty, Trump supporter, etc". That might be funny.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Google says that creators can use these comment summaries to jump into comment discussions or draw inspiration for new content.
Ah yes, so the elite may dabble with the commoners, without having to actually read their comments of course. How many creators love a handful of comments but hardly reply to any.

Reactions: macoda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.