Google Home Reviews: Handsome Design Not Enough to Outweigh 'Rough Around the Edges' Feel

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Reviews for Google's new smart home speaker system, Google Home, have released this morning, bringing a collection of opinions about the newest entry in the wireless Bluetooth speaker category, which Apple is rumored to be entering in the future. Google originally introduced Google Home at its I/O Conference in May, and then officially announced it alongside the Pixel Phone at an event in October.

The first batch of reviews for Google Home appear to mostly align with a single opinion: the speaker is an impressive addition to the home, but in some ways it's less reliable, and its Google Assistant-powered AI doesn't beat Amazon's Alexa in most instances. As is usual with a new product category gaining entries from various companies, the decision rests solely on personal preference of which company each user believes will deliver the best experience, and iterate most consistently down the line.

[​IMG]
    Images via Engadget

That's the way that Wired began its review for Google Home, which it says can sometimes feel "like sci-fi magic," and other times is simply unreliable. The sci-fi magic comes in with Google Assistant, which Wired says provides smart search results for random inquiries ("What's the difference between acetaminophen and ibuprofen?"), but other times was "shockingly stupid," fumbling movie release date trivia and other questions.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Google Home Reviews: Handsome Design Not Enough to Outweigh 'Rough Around the Edges' Feel

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I feel like this accurately sums up most technology nowadays. We're on a roller coaster of emotion, oscillating between elation and disappointment. Amazed at how far we've come, and yet restrained by what we can actually do with it.

3. camperboy macrumors newbie

I not understand, why people need this? for what this is? If I wanted to spend my money on something like that I would rather buy something more useful.

4. pally macrumors member

You see, it LEARNS. It is an infant. It will grow and grow....

5. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Have you tried a device such as this? If not, might suggest giving it a try. I have for almost two years, Amazon Echo, find it to be one of my most useful devices. I will agree, not all technology is for everyone, each has to decide for themselves.

6. lostczech macrumors member

lostczech

"looks a lot better than the Echo,"

I'm sorry, but it looks like a cheap dollar store air freshener

7. ericgtr12, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I have several WEMO devices, neither Siri nor Google Home support them but the Amazon Echo does. They seem to be the most ubiquitous home assistant out there and they have a ton of skills as well.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Can't wait for mine to arrive. I don't agree with the assertion in the article. Most reviews I am reading (and videos on YouTube) all talk about how Google Home can answer (and responds) to many more questions than Echo. I have an Echo and have loved it. But it's been very limiting. The Home doesn't have 3rd party support yet - but the reviews/videos I've seen say that for the most part, the experience with Home is better.

But I guess it also depends on what your needs are and if you're in a particular ecosystem. I'm personally going to love having access to my google music collection and also being able to send things to my tv.

9. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

Handsome design? Sure, if you like the aesthetics of Renuzit I guess.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    Glad someone agrees with me.

10. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

"Handsome design", "An impressive addition to the home", it is so hideous and bizarre that I cannot think of anything to compare it with.

11. pally macrumors member

I do not think that "need" drives much of technology sales. The argument could be made that you do not NEED to be posting on the comments thread of a product website. People buy it because they want to try it. Personally, I want to test drive it, experience how it learns, and participate first hand in the AI revolution.
    So every big step forward feels like Windows 95 all over again?

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Need? No one needs most devices. However, I have had the Echo as an early adopter. The capabilities have grown exponentially. It's actually nice to ask things like the weather and to play music, etc without having to whip out my phone or go to my computer. I have a young daughter that loves to ask it questions. I cook a lot, so setting multiple timers without having to pick up my phone (especially if I'm cooking) is a nice bonus.

Everyone has different use cases - maybe an "assistant" doesn't fit any of yours. But I wouldn't dismiss it altogether. These types of devices evolve.

Think of the first iPhone (and iOS at release) and how extremely limited it was in comparison to what was already out there.

13. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Maybe but the point is that is meshes with home decor more than the Echo and most likely more than any undoubtedly aluminium offering that Apple are likely to come up with which will only look right on the bridge of the enterprise.

14. citysnaps macrumors 601

Spot on. Best comment on the forum!

Google should add an air freshener function. It might be worth something then.

15. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

About time for Walt Mossberg to update his "Dumb Siri" rant piece including Google's and Amazon dumb offerings.

16. camperboy macrumors newbie

You have right in some point. I would like try it but I don't want pay for it. For example, if I want buy a car I can order test drive and decide later if I buy or not this car. Your definition
    is wrong I think.

17. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

But if it had an Apple logo it, I am sure so many would just pre-order it before they even knew what it could or couldn't do.

18. Vash108 macrumors member

Vash108

Love my Echo. Controls my lights, music, door locks, EcoBee Thermostats among other things.

19. camperboy macrumors newbie

Probably you have right, look at new MacBook Pro :p:p:po_Oo_Oo_O

20. citysnaps macrumors 601

Like I'm going to have an open microphone in my house and hooked up to google 24/7. That's rich! Dream on...

21. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Better yet, have one built into your phone that goes everywhere with you and call it Siri.... oh wait.

22. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

I have HAL in my house, who needs this...lol

23. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Honestly, I don't see the appeal. Just about everything with voice commands blow! Siri, google home, alexa, google now, xbox connect, cortana, Ivy,... should i stop yet?
    Honestly how hard is it to press a friggen button.
    It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine says shes done "shaking things like drinks in a bottle" and Jerry remarks in a sarcastic tone, "oh yeah, this is killing me".

24. samcraig macrumors P6

The "hate" from both of you is sad.
    Funny. If nothing else - for those that are physically unable to push buttons - one of these devices is perfect, no?

How hard is it to do a million things that you probably have gadgets or devices do for you.

Absurd comment on a tech forum.

25. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

"Shockingly stupid" sounds like a great tag line for this entire era.