Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google hosted its annual I/O developers keynote at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, California today, announcing multiple new products and services related to Android, search, messaging, home automation, and more.

Google Assistant

Google Assistant is described as a "conversational assistant" that builds upon Google Now based on two-way dialog. The tool can be used, for example, to ask who directed the movie Avatar, and to ask which other movies he has directed, and Google should be able to isolate the questions from the conversation and provide answers.

Google-Assistant-800x533.jpg

The new Siri and Alexa rival, compatible with both voice and chat, will be widely available on Android, iOS, in the home, and elsewhere later this year.

Google Home

Google Home is a new Wi-Fi-enabled personal assistant device for the home that enables people to ask Google search queries, manage everyday tasks, enjoy music and entertainment, and more using hands-free "OK Google" voice commands.

Google-Home-800x533.jpg

The Amazon Echo rival features a clean, color-changing design with no buttons, a speaker on the bottom, multiple room support, remote control of Chromecast and other speakers, compatibility with Nest and other popular home automation platforms, and more.

Google Home can be used to make general searches, check flight statuses, track shipments, set dinner reservations, turn on lights or play music in certain rooms, receive real-time traffic and routing information, check your appointments, and more.

Google Home will be available later this year. Pricing was not disclosed.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Google I/O 2016: Assistant, Home, Allo, Duo, Android N, and More

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Oh man.. The paper-launches by google every year get more and more impressive.

Google: "Look at this amazing array of prototypes we've created. We're really good idea guys. It won't really improve your life when we release it. It'll improve your life once all the developers magically create software that we hope they'll make that we're depicting in our pretty colorful slides! They'll also shine once you guys finish these and beta test these for us. P.S. Don't our paper-launches demo really well?!! We always love daydreaming here at Google, so long as it's other people who actually release a finished, polished product."

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
This is real innovation!
Google leaving Apple in the dust!
Tim Cook is too busy pandering to communist China to actually innovate!
Cook is is busy in India trying to save the company instead of innovating like Google!
Apple spent too much time on watch bands to innovate!
Cook is going to be fired!
Steve Jobs would have never let this happen!
Apple still offers 16GB!
Switching to Android and Google services!
Apple is falling behind!
Apple is doomed!
Apple is too busy wasting time on an electric car to innovate!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Google is setting the bar high for Apple at WWDC.

Siri needs to take a leap forward this year. Integration with AppleWatch and AppleTV could bring the benefits of a home assistant without the need for a separate device.

I'd like to be able to lift my wrist and ask Siri: "Show me my calendar on my AppleTV" or "Play Beats 1 in the Living Room". An updated AppleTV with a mic built in could also respond to Hey Siri from across the room. Apple has the pieces of the puzzle. They need to put it together.

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Isn't that what Siri was supposed to be, and sort of was when it first launched? Its become less conversational over the years.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Android Instant Apps is a brilliant idea. And by delivering many of the features and services on iOS, as well, they truly are taking a broad, all-encompassing approach to their solutions. Count me impressed.

Apple definitely has their work cut out for them to keep iOS relevant and attractive in the larger marketplace. WWDC better impress.

Mackie924

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
It's a developer's conference, so I'm not surprised that there weren't any massive announcements mobile-side. Android N has been out there for months now for them to work on.

Google Assistant is pretty incredible, IMO. Siri just doesn't compare. And I'm glad Google is still working on improving its capabilities. And kudos for them giving credit to Amazon for their work on Echo.

Android N isn't all that impressive, tbh, but it does appear just to be an incremental update to the already very good Marshmallow.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One must keep in mind that these "free" services being given away by Google are not really free. Every microsecond that people spend using at least one Google service is an opportunity for them to collect more data. Combined with their research and advances into machine learning, which could act on that very data, and the future is looking to be a very interesting (and possibly scary) place. Apple's more conservative approach to their platforms and data handling may indeed win out in the long run. We'll have to see.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Google leaving Apple services in the dust.
Right because there are no google butt kissers on MR. :rolleyes:

Android Instant Apps is a brilliant idea. And by delivering many of the features and services on iOS, as well, they truly are taking a broad, all-encompassing approach to their solutions. Count me impressed.

Apple definitely has their work cut out for them to keep iOS relevant and attractive in the larger marketplace. WWDC better impress.

What ever happened to app streaming? I thought Google announced that years ago? And isn't the 'Apple must kill it at xxx or it's screwed' the same refrain every year?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
One must keep in mind that these "free" services being given away by Google are not really free. Every microsecond that people spending using at least one Google service is an opportunity for them to collect more data. Combined with their research into machine learning, which could act on that very data, and the future is looking to be a very interesting (and possibly scary) place. Apple's more conservative approach to their platforms and data handling may indeed win out in the long run. We'll have to see.
They're already paid if you have a gmail and you can't unring that bell. Take advantage.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Fantastic new ideas and systems, really like the new features and integration plus the instant apps thing is REALLY cool. It's new voice assistant is really something else too!

I did say in another post, but it was VERY obvious Google does something Apple does not! It had several WOMEN front and centre on the stage, Apple should take a long hard look at it's boys club approach....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.